Sugar - My enemy

Options
I'm curious how others are getting their 3-5 daily servings of fruit without pegging your sugar grams? The system has allocated me 36g of sugar a day based on my calculations and everyday I'm going over with just fresh fruit I'm eating.

For example: Today I had 4oz of OJ (calcium and Vit D - no pulp) and with 1/2 cup of lactaid fat-free milk with my Special K cereal I'm already at 26g of sugar. On top of the 1/2 cup strawberries and 1/2 cup of blueberries I had with lunch, it always puts me well over 36g. Forget about the banana I wanted to eat for a snack, now I'm up into the 60g range.

Should I feel bad for eating fresh fruit if it goes over my sugar grams for the day? I thought the refined sugars in processed foods is what I should be staying away from. I just don't see how I can get a good serving of fruit everyday if I have to stay under 36g.

Interested to hear how others are coping with the sugar intake on a daily basis. Appreciate any input!

Replies

• catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about sugar from fruit and veg. I only count artificial sugars.
  • Midg
    Midg Posts: 6
    Options
    I had the same question. I always go over, but it is mainly from fruit. I eat about 4-5 servings a day
  • Cassaaaaandra
    Cassaaaaandra Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Like he said, if it's from fruit and veggies I wouldn't worry about it...unless you are diabetic. In which case hit the low glycemic fruits: blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, tomatoes, cucumbers, cherries, grapefruit, pears, apples, kiwi, etc.
  • kingnatalie
    Options
    I also don't worry a whole lot about sugar especially if I know I am getting it from fruits rather than candy. I actually took it off my food summary and added other categories in it's place.
  • stu719
    stu719 Posts: 5
    Options
    I had the same question, and it's more about the ADDED sugar that you need to watch out for for the 36g. Don't worry about the sugars in fruits or milk, it's the sugar content in sodas, fruit juices, etc. that you need to watch. What I've been doing is looking at the list of ingredients on the packaging, and if sugar isn't listed there (like in the case of Tropicana 100% OJ or milk), I don't worry about it.
  • simmonsntz
    Options
    I'm a diabetic. So I don't know how normal folks cope. I know that my endocrinologist says NO FRUIT and NO FRUIT JUICE for me. I do love blueberries and lots of other fruits but I treat them like a dessert and splurge every few months.
  • rrlucero
    Options
    You know, I just might do that. I really enjoy eating fresh fruit everyday, it's such a great snack and I feel so much better knowing I'm eating something healthy. I really do want to watch my sugar intake, but I was just frustrated always going over when I eat fruit.

Thanks for the feedback! :happy: