Having a hard time getting enough protein.

Options
I normally only eat chicken and I try to get a meat in for lunch and dinner, but I never seem to get enough protein. Should I resort to protein shakes, because I have a hard time even eating as much as I am now.

Replies

• TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Try adding in beans and yogurt to your diet. I love protein shakes, but I get tired of having sweet stuff all the time. Feel free to look at my diary for ideas.
  • jchizick
    jchizick Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    almonds, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, egg whites
  • almcginn
    almcginn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey, Sarah. I actually have the opposite problem! I need to cut back on my protein. Here's a typical menu:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/almcginn

0600 - 2 hard boiled eggs, Zone Perfect bar OR Kashi cereal + 1 cup skim milk
    0930 - Sardines + Ritz Toasted Crackers
    1200 - Ham & Turkey wrap, fruit, Chobani yogurt
    1500 - Met-Rx RTD 51 shake ( http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/met-rx/rtd-51.html )
    1900 - Post workout, so dinner consisting of chicken/fish/steak/porkchops + veggies + a carb like rice, beans, potatoes, etc.

For example, I took in wayyy too much today. I might start cutting out the RTD 51 shakes. Better yet, the sardines. Yech :P

Edit: I found the shakes to be the best-tasting I've tried so far. Only thing is they're a tad bit expensive (around $2.75-3 per shake).
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I incorporate a whey shake into my diet after exercise for protein for the same reason. There are just so many eggs and so much greek yogurt a gal can eat ya know? I also have a frozen yogurt maker and add the protein powder to my greek yogurt, almond milk and fruit mixture to get a little more plus add calories. (I am one of those eat more to weigh less chicks)

Good luck. If you do choose a protein shake, I highly suggest one with whey protein over soy.
  • ang3h
    ang3h Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin seeds.. nutritional yeast.. string cheese.. almonds :)
  • NyimaR
    NyimaR Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've started adding tinned tuna (the ones in spring water) into stuff like salads and pasta sauces just because it's a quick and easy way of adding a bit of protein. Only problem is that I end up with the cat watching me eat!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    try the shake. if you have trouble getting in the calories, this will help without over filling you. i guess since it is a liquid, it's easier for your stomach to process.

i usually make two different shakes:

1-2 scoops of chocolate protein powder mix it with 6-8 ounces of milk (i use almond) and 1-2 tablespoons of peanut butter, and a banana. if i'm having it for breakfast, i'll throw in a half a cup of dry oatmeal in with the almond milk first, and just let it soak for a minute before i throw in the rest. it's delicious!

1-2 scoops of vanilla protein powder with 6-8 ounces of orange juice, and handful or two of frozen berries and blend! for a thicker shake i may put in a scoop of fat free frozen yogurt.
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Im having same problem myself but on hard workout days I am trying to eat salad with cheese or hard boiled egg, chicken or beef sandwich, maxitone definity protein shake made with milk, mixed nuts, pretty much anything that I fancy... Sardines sound good, I like them when they come in tomato sauce and I add a bit of worchester sauce to add to their yummyness
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    1 cup of plain greek yogurt
    1 scoop of favorite flavored protein powder
    add sweetner if needed like chopped up fresh fruit
    mix it up and eat.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Yep I have the chocolate whey protein isolate shakes...I struggle with enough protein and mine is ok, not the best tasting but ok :smile:
  • boopboopadoop
    Options
    I don't eat meat and my protein is usually over what mfp tells me to eat, even when my calories, fat and carbs aren't. I do eat fish but only a couple of times a week. Add me if you want to see my diary :)
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    MFPs protein requirements are too low as it is.

To the guy who said he has too much and needs to cut it down:
    No, dude, you have it right, keep eating/drinking that much. Change your macros to reflect that much as your goal and keep it up!
  • NoMoreJellyRolls
    Options
    I get my protein through string cheese, cottage cheese, special K choc peanut butter protein bars, chicken, red meats, turkey, slim jim, egg whites, etc. I refuse to drink them nasty shakes!
  • sarahmichelle876
    Options
    What would be a good shake without too many calories?
  • b14a3w3
    b14a3w3 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I use Beachbody Shakeology Chocolate with skim milk. Very tastey.
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I noticed recently my protein was low so now I add chicken, ham or an hard boiled egg to my salad..I've also started eating low fat cottage cheese, I was really impressed by the amount of protein in it x
  • almcginn
    almcginn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    What would be a good shake without too many calories?

Refer to my earlier post. RTD 51 shakes are about 230 calories, depending on the flavor. 51g of protein (hence the name).