Is Sodium in EVERYTHING??

Options
2»

Replies

• Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Don't look at my diary because I've been lazy on it lately, but I've really learned to use spices and good sea salts and those really bring out flavors more than just table salt and jarred sauces. Some salts cut through meats better and really make all the difference in the world.

The next time you pick up your favorite packet of sauce read the ingredients - usually its common ingredients you can add individually or make your own seasoning mix - my favorite hot packet from the Asian place down the road is simply water, cayenne and salt. :)

They even make no salt added ketchup...I use that with a bit of sea salt on burgers and its much tastier and the sodium is lower. Fresh is best!
  • annabell48
    Options
    Everything that you buy that is prepackage is going to have higher sodium levels in it. If you want to reduce it, do a search engine for a french salad dressing recipe and get as close to it by making it yourself as you can. That way, you can reduce the amount of sodium that goes into it. Just a suggestion.
  • willia123
    willia123 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I stay under 1000 per day. I use fresh herbs and no salt seasonings like mrs. Dash and Kirkland organic no salt. I do care about my intake because I feel like crap if I eat too much of it and have terrible headaches and look like a swollen pig. I buy very low sodium tuna, no sodium bread, I avoid things like lunch meats and cottage cheese...anything in a package for the most part. I prepare and cook all my meals for the most part which makes it a lot easier to keep it low.
  • Txnurse97
    Txnurse97 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I struggle to keep my sodium under 2500mg a day, and I do need to, since I have a history of high blood pressure. In fact, I had a bunch of high sodium days this week (family in town, eating things I normally don't) and my blood pressure was 148/92. A week ago it was 118/83 and that's where it's been running. So I know the sodium played a big effect.

You've gotten some great advice from all the other posters. Good luck!
  • ber3023
    ber3023 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    You didn't mention many processed foods so I'm gonna assume you know the sodium content in that. Sounds to me like your biggest problem is with seasoning your chicken and fish. I love the Mrs. Dash seasonings for meat. My favorite is garlic herb. Wish I could figure out the trick to using my own separate seasonings to taste that well, but I have yet to master that trick. I also use a salt substitute for things like raw tomato wedges and even add it to some dishes when I cook. Making my own salad dressings with oil and vinegar, just didn't work out for me. The lighter versions usually do have more sodium. Store bought dressings vary tons just by brand. The lowest I have found is a FF Poppyseed made by Maple Grove Farms of Vermont.
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I do have hypertension so I monitor my sodium intake. Currently I run at about 600 to800 mg per day, I eat mostly fresh and what I've made myself but still have a ready meal- usually a curry once a week. I don't each much bread because 1 slice has 200 mg of sodium, even when I make my own bread I add a little salt, it acts as an inhibiter for the yeast.
    edit to add-
    try and keep you intake below the recommended 2500mg and increase potassium intake, most people don't eat any where near the 3500mg of potassium per day.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I watch sodium and try to keep it 2300 per day. I'm prehypertensive and ordered to be on the DASH diet. I've had to change the types of foods I eat and pay more attention to sodium counts than anything else. If I'm having a highish sodium meal, I'll balance it out with pasta and homemade sauce for one meal, or h ave rice as a side, or get as much potassium as I can in the hopes that it will beat out sodium for making molecules. :laugh:

Here's a site that has a listing of low sodium labels: http://www.lowsaltfoods.com/default.htm

I love cheese and I've cut cottage cheese out of my life (450Na per 1/2 cup). Armstrong cheese is as low sodium as I've found and eating Swiss cheese is really low. Looking at your deli for portions off a block or wheel. I traded in Kraft parmesan for a block of parmesan that I grate at home.

Unsalted, roasted nuts are great for snack. I like walnuts and almonds and they have potassium, too.

Unsalted butter is nice, but it has a ton of fat.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I love condiments and Annie's makes a few that are low sodium, if you spend some time in the condiment aisle there are tasty low sodium ones out there. I am on a doctor limit of 1500 a day and rarely go over. However, I do eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, am gluten free so no real pasta and bread, I do have it but in gluten free. Also, even with pasta sauce and the like, it does take some label reading but you can get it under 2500 pretty easily with just a few changes.
  • MarciMelts
    MarciMelts Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You'll maintain better control over sodium if you do more home cooking. I make my own spaghetti and pizza sauces, for instance. I add a little salt as I cook, but rarely at the table. I use frozen vegetables instead of canned, limit things like canned soups. I started doing this years ago because I was hypertensive (high blood pressure) and on diuretic therapy. Now it's just a habit. Once you get away from the salt, you find out how good foods really are.
  • anbegley
    anbegley Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    My husband and I keep very close tabs on our sodium intake, him due to hypertension, me, just cause I am a supportive wife. We almost never go over and he even lowered his macro amount. His diary is open if you want to take a look (CaptainMFP), mine is not, but it gives you a general idea of how/what we eat.
    Good luck

ps. yes, sodium is in darn near everything!
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I am on BP meds and sodium sensitive. I just purchased the DASH diet book and will be starting that soon. Potassium and magnesium help get rid of the sodium in your system. The DASH recommends 1500 - 2000 mg per day. Sodium is in everything! I have become an avid label reader and was shocked to see that even carrorts have some sodium in them. I purchase no salt added veggies and low sodium items when ever possible. If you purchase canned veggies I was told to drain, rinse and then cook in a little water.

My hubby found a very low sodium ketchup too.
  • DLKeeble
    DLKeeble Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I watch sodium and try to keep it 2300 per day. I'm prehypertensive and ordered to be on the DASH diet. I've had to change the types of foods I eat and pay more attention to sodium counts than anything else. If I'm having a highish sodium meal, I'll balance it out with pasta and homemade sauce for one meal, or h ave rice as a side, or get as much potassium as I can in the hopes that it will beat out sodium for making molecules. :laugh:

Here's a site that has a listing of low sodium labels: http://www.lowsaltfoods.com/default.htm

I love cheese and I've cut cottage cheese out of my life (450Na per 1/2 cup). Armstrong cheese is as low sodium as I've found and eating Swiss cheese is really low. Looking at your deli for portions off a block or wheel. I traded in Kraft parmesan for a block of parmesan that I grate at home.

Unsalted, roasted nuts are great for snack. I like walnuts and almonds and they have potassium, too.

Does potassium supplements help as well? I know I should try to get it from fresh foods, but it is nearly impossible for me.
  • maryjay51
    Options
    i gave up salad dressing when i turned 50. i eat spinach leaves and or spring greens ..its what you put on the salad that adds flavor. if you simply must have salad dressing try to make your own or put some in a small dipping dish and use it that way. my salt intake drastically became reduced when i stopped eating processed foods. of course once in a while i indulge but does my body ever feel it. once you rid yourself of foods like that you will be surprised how your body reacts to it if you have some. ..if you happen to have more sodium than usual, ramp up the water intake to flush it out. otherwise you will retain water
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options

Does potassium supplements help as well? I know I should try to get it from fresh foods, but it is nearly impossible for me.

Please don't take potassium supplements if you are on medication for hypertension, check with your doctor. try and get it from food also coconut water is high in potassium but has some sodium in the form of electrolyes.
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    I never even seem to get close to going over my sodium and I eat processed foods quite a lot. Maybe the numbers on mfp are not always correct for sodium, I usually only double check the calories are correct. I think the only time I have gone over is when I make my own food from scratch funnily enough, I add soy sauce to everything.

I would say making your own dressings etc might help as you know exactly what your putting into them. I flavour things with ginger, herbs instead if I am cooking for friends who have high blood pressure and are watching their sodium.

Edit- typo
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Good job trying to keep it lower. As mentioned above, if you vary a few hundred up and down, it is okay. I even discovered 1100 mg of sodium in my MEDICATION so I had to switch.

I disagree with many above who said if you don't suffer from hypertension, you don't need to worry about it. As with anything, the cumulative effects of excessive sodium DO play havoc with your body in future years, as does too much fat, too much sugar, etc. It is a good idea to watch it and start monitoring it now. Also, eating less processed foods (to get rid of the salt) is a huge health plus and will also help lose weight so I say.... Keep up the good work! However, if you have a day every now and then when you go over, I wouldn't obsess about it as you want to make this a life-time change.
    Okinawans have some of the longest life spans on the planet, and regularly consume two to three times the amount of sodium Americans do. It's really a very tiny minority of people who need to worry about it.