antidepressants and weight loss?

Options
So I have depression and generalized anxiety disorder. I am on abilify and celexa both medications work wonders for me. I am wanting to know if anyone is on medication for mood or depression as well and were you able to lose weight on it? Success storied on this topic will surely help me. Thank you.

Feel free to add me as well
More friends more motivation
Much love :)

Replies

• laurastrait21
    laurastrait21 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    i asked the same question awhile back. i have been taking fluoxetine for about 3 years, and actually lost weight when i went on it inititally. i cut back 10mg for a few weeks to see if i would see a weight change, didn't go well (and no change in weight), so now i am back up to my full dose.

when i first was diagnosed, however, i took celexa. celexa helped immensely but i also gained weight immensely! i found that fluoxetine was a better match for me, but i have found that i'd much rather have a couple extra pounds and be able to function normally!

i think it really just depends on your own biochemistry and how your body reacts to drugs!
  • caroleslaststand
    caroleslaststand Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I take 400mg of Wellbutrin a day and it gives me no trouble with losing weight. It doesn't totally control the depression and mood swings, but then - what does? I'd rather not have the side effects and I have none with Wellbutrin. Some people can't take it, but if you can, it's not only tolerable, it can be pleasant as long as it is taken consistently. My best chance at losing weight depends on getting enough sleep and exercise and remembering to take Wellbutrin,.
  • amphion
    amphion Posts: 48
    Options
    I have been taking Wellbutrin it has worked fairly well for me with the added bonus of being an appetite inhibitor. I know most anti-depressants come with weight gain. Which kind of sucks.
  • debbygarza
    Options
    just want to say that I feel and totally understand you...continue on your fitness journey medication or not ...although i never was fully put on meds, I can say that exercising, changing my eating habits as well as trying certain natural supplements, I was able to avoid taking the medication..but my heart goes out to you as try to overcome this..keep on pushing and never give up.
  • robertthesnail
    Options
    Abilify is what made me fat in the first place. I gained like 50 pounds within 3 months of starting taking it, but I got a medication change after that and have lost almost all the weight I gained.
  • workoutgirl23
    Options
    I am currently taking Prozac, for my depression and anxiety. and I take Lorazepam for my anxiety disorder. and it has not stopped me from losing weight. i have been losing weight well. i think the prozac actually has helped me lose weight better. not for sure on that, but I'm pretty sure its helps me with my weight loss. every antidepressant is different. some will make you gain a lot of weight. Welburtin, zoloft and prozac, and Celexa are the ones to not really cause weight gain. Welbutrin is probably the best. a lot of people actually lose weight on that pill. People taking Paxil gain a lot of weight. not sure about the other ones, but those ones i all have experience with. seriously tho, try prozac, its good.
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that since I've been off all the drugs- celexa, klonopin, trazodone- its been much easier to lose weight. But I guess you have to balance it out for yourself. Therapy and eating right worked better for me better than any drug I've ever taken. My cousin is still on celexa and xanax and has trouble getting below 200 pounds.
  • Elite4LifeDono
    Options
    I have been taking Cymbalta and Abilify for 3+ years and I had about 50 lbs weight gain from Undergrad lifestyle, but I am still on them and have been successfully losing weight at about 2 lbs a week for 7 weeks! It is possible as long as their is plenty of exercise and a calorie deficit in your daily intake. Good luck!
  • Deltafliers
    Deltafliers Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Among other things :wink:, I have also been diagnosed with GAD and PMDD. Origionally I took prozac, and later, when meds were being adjusted and I couldn't figure out why I was gaining weight, a doctor finally told me people usually gain on Prozac. I was switched to wellbutrin, and as you can see I have had some success with my weight loss.

Occasionally, I do get hiccups, but the ladies I met in a PMDD post quickly added each other, and during my hiccups, I get the support I need to get back up and stop freaking over such a little bump in the road. Sometimes it is a struggle, but I have learned that by using a pedometer (I have a fitbit, but any will do), I can take those periods of time where I feel myself slipping away, and focus on walking to a preordained number of steps for the day. (I hope this makes sense.)

I have also noticed, that between the weight loss and chiropratic appointments, I don't need my 'as needed xanax' anywhere near as often. I am hoping that if this continues, I will be able to lower my dose of wellbutrin too.

For someone who mentioned it above, I used to forget quite often, so I bought those SU-SA pill boxes, and I don't usually forget to take them (or forhet if I took them already or not).

Again, I hope this makes sense. Feel free to add me if you'd like. :smile: Good luck on your quest. :flowerforyou:
  • DietandVlogsense
    DietandVlogsense Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have been on Antidepressants for a long time (Citalopram) and I have blamed them for my inability to loose weight for the longest time. But, you know what, I was fooling myself...

I've dropped 18 lbs in my first 3 weeks of MFP, because I finally started watched how much I was putting in and keeping to an amount designed to help me loose weight at the speed I want.

I aim to loose 2lbs a week, for that I can eat 1700 calories. By following that simple formula and, with exercise, my net average is around 1500cal a day, I have had the weight fall off of me, and this is coming from a 44 year old who has been very overweight since I was a teenager!

The bottom line is that you can not get past the fact that if you burn off more than you put in, you WILL loose weight.
  • ms_magiana
    Options
    Let's see.... I've suffered from Post-Pardum depression, depressed WHILE pregnant, and S.A.D. for years. Mild depression, but got much worse last November.

Finally decided to try Anti-depressants. I tried citalopram and initially gained about 10 lbs in about 2 months, which is a clothing size on me. (made me 'not care' so much that I was overeating) Dr. had me try Prozac, which made me super irritable and snappy at my kids. (I was on it for 3 weeks). Back to Citalopram, with mixed results. Dr. suggested Wellbutrin for extra energy & potential weight loss. I HAVE GAINED 15 lbs in 2 months on Wellbutrin. I am now heavier than I have been all year. I found Wellbutrin gave me energy, but also reduced the amount of sleep I was getting (averaged about 5 hrs a night on Wellbutrin). It TREMENDOUSLY increased my appetite. I was constantly looking for carbs, snacks, could eat entire bags of chips, etc. This is out of the norm for me and is directly caused by the Wellbutrin. I have stopped Wellbutrin and am going to the Dr. next week for advice on what to do next.

FYI - I was on 150 ml Wellbutrin XL.
  • marketdimlylit
    marketdimlylit Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I'm also using Citalopram, I'm kinda stuck with my weight at the moment, however I don't think the antidepressant pills are causing this.

I've never really heard of any making people put on weight.
    More an excuse.
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I'm on 20mg of Citalopram and I've found it harder to lose weight since being on the medication but I'll get there eventually x
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I've been taking lithium for almost 4 years, and the weight has been coming off decently. I lost 50 pounds DUE to Prozac when I was younger, but that's because it shot me into a manic episode and I had 'better' things to do than eat food, sleep, and such.

I used to be on Effexor XR while on lithium, and it just made me want to eat for DAYS.
  • MelStrey
    Options
    Atypical Antipsychotics such as Abilify, Seroquel, & Zyprexa can cause weight gain. In some cases extreme. However, every patient is different and the side-effects one experiences is greatly dependent on your body. Furthermore, the weight gain may not be a side-effect of the drug itself but the disorder revealing more issues. In studies Abilify has a lower rate of weight gain among participants.

When suffering from any kind of depression, mania, or other generalized mental disorders weight gain or loss is often a symptom of the disorder itself. One must remain hyper vigilant in regards to the moods and those behaviors that accompany them.

The short of it is meds can make you gain weight or lose it and the major factor in either is where you are at in your treatment and how your body takes to the drug. Do your research before taking anything and force your Dr. to have a conversation about what you are willing to compromise on. If you don't want to gain weight, refuse to take something that shows a high rate of that particular side-effect and force your Doc to do their job and Rx you something that will help you get better without getting fat.
  • ShellBells16876
    Options
    I am also on anti depressants and haven't noticed any weight change for me .
  • matthew_b
    matthew_b Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'll second the recommendation for taking a full dose of Welbutrin and then adding enough of another SRI as needed.

SRI's have two HUGE side effect risks: weight gain and loss of sex drive. Welbutrin usually has the opposite side effect. If you start with Welbutrin and then add the other then you minimize the chances of either side effect.
  • cupcakes_
    cupcakes_ Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I have taken medication for anxiety for about six years. To date I have lost 56 lbs. I don't believe meds hinder weight loss at all. Good luck to you :)
  • arathena720
    arathena720 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I lost 17lbs while on Celexa, and that at age 41 and menopausal. Take heart, it can be done!