Female "Stuff"

Options
I'm not sure where to ask this but here it goes. Has anyone had changes in their cycles since beginning their weight loss journey? Granted I'm only 9 lbs. into mine but it seems like there's been a "disturbance in the force" so to speak. :blushing:

I know I'm not preggo and I've always been super regular. Anyone else had any changes?:huh:

Replies

• Honey7o2
    Options
    How long have you been on your "weight loss journey"? How far under your calorie goal are you usually? If you're really low under it's probably the cause.
  • mserafin
    Options
    Hey :) I know that if you exercise more and change your daily habits then yes there could be a change in your menstrual cycle. Especially if you start exercising, your period could be delayed by a couple of days. :)
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Female athletes have been known to lose their periods althogether because of the amount of physical exercise they do. So yeah, eating differently and exercising more can definitely affect your cycles. And don't fret, it will probably take a few months for your body to get used to the changes/new routine before it normalizes.
  • arasmc
    arasmc Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    In Sept, I started working out 2-3 times a week, starting in Nov I bumped it upto 5-6 times a week and this month I was 3 weeks late. Spoke to my doctor about it yesterday and she said it's normal when you disrupt your routine.
  • natalia221
    Options
    I lost my period all together (which was nice!) when I lost 27 lbs. It could be the calories you are eating or the amount of exercise you are doing. Maybe talking to your doctor about it will help.
  • littlesuzieq
    Options
    Nice to know that I'm not out of the ordinary. I am usually right around my 1200 cal mark and haven't gone too far over in the other areas. I've probably just shocked the heck out of my body by changing my eating habits!!! Just wait until it gets hit with the exercise!

Thanks all for your replies - this is a great resource and I'm glad someone pointed me here.
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    The truth is there are so many things that can cause your monthly cyycle to change. Increase or decrease in exercise, changing eating habits, stress, even certain medicines such as antibiotics. I was always extrmely regular with my cyles down to the time of day I was going to start. When I started losing weight I got all messed up. Everything changed. When my body got used to the cahnges it thankfully leveled back out but it might be messed up for a while. It is completely normal but it might ease your mind to talk to your doc next time you go.
  • bebhinn
    bebhinn Posts: 198
    Options
    I completely skipped a period oince i cut my calories down ... basically i made a 1000cal deficit off of my BMR which left me at about 1800ish when i started.

When you make a big change like this, your body has a little freak out and says omg omg i dont have enough energy what am I gonna dooOooOoo!?!?!?
    Then, once it realizes that yes, it will continue to be fed, just less, it begins to allocate properly and things should resume.

It is important to mention that hydration should be maintained or dehydration can cause disturbance as well.

Once my cycle restarted it was a week later in the month but since has been regular.
  • littlesuzieq
    Options
    Oh, my water intake is right up there with "monsoon". :happy: I never really drank that much water until I started logging everything. I also cut out any soda so my body got shocked that way too.

Here's to ongoing weight loss!:drinker:
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I will tell you that exercise and weight loss changes your menstrual cycle. This is because when you lose weight - your fat cells are linked to your estrogen levels. Well, your body may be pumping extra estrogen - because it hasn't equaled out with your loss yet, therefore causing these changes.

I am on the pill and since I started to lose weight - every other month my period comes after two weeks instead of three. With some people they have longer periods, or other effects.

I am no expert, but what I wrote above is my understanding from what I have found online regarding weight loss and menstrual cycle since I have been having the irregular change. It should equal out once you get to your goal and your hormone levels regulate again. From what I have read though, you are apparently more fertile while losing weight because of the increased estrogen levels.. so that's another interesting factoid..
  • faile486
    faile486 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Female athletes don't lose their periods simply because of the amount of exercise - it's because their calorie intake is too low to balance the amount of exercise they're doing. This can also lead to bone problems and other injuries. I believe the condition has some sort of name but can't remember it - new doctors were constantly worried that my sister had it.

If you've not gotten your period for more than a few months, you should probably see your doctor. If it's been less than that, waiting to see what happens should be fine.
  • bebhinn
    bebhinn Posts: 198
    Options
    Oh! it is also worth mentioning that you may experience changes in the way your hair reacts to shampoo/conditioner, the way your skin reacts to skincare methods/products/routines and makeup and may also change the way you respond to your anti-perspirant. I had to change all three!!
  • littlesuzieq
    Options
    If you've not gotten your period for more than a few months, you should probably see your doctor. If it's been less than that, waiting to see what happens should be fine.

Nope, this is the first month it's been a little behind. I've only been changing things since Jan. 13.
  • Alexandra888
    Options
    Its completely normal for that to happen... or so i've heard. When anorexics starve themselves, their cycles completely stop. It'll regulate again once you get down to the size you want or when your body gets used to it so dont worry and keep up what your doing. :)