Facing a difficult Situation

Options
I am going to face my first real test this weekend since my lifestyle change. I have fought the food battle a couple of times at a wedding and anniversary party recently by planning ahead and being quite active and that will be in play here too. My wife and I are going to a Greek festival with friends tonight. I come from a large Greek family and that's part of what got me to 300+ pounds

I know that. I want all the good high calorie dishes obviously, which is the fight. I'm going to get the baked chicken, I just have to. We're stopping at my wife and our friend's wife's favorite store on the way, I'll be the guy wandering the aisles constantly moving in a effort to burn some calories off! That's not my concern really though. Tomorrow is. I am scheduled weather permitting to umpire 2 softball games, lots of good calories gone there, no issue. Then it will time for the Patriots game, food in moderation needs to happen there.

Then I need to try and get some sleep in, I'm working a 3rd shift overtime job from 11p Sunday to 7a on Monday. I work during the day, that shift messes with me badly. Lack of sleep makes me hungry, being up in the wee hours makes me hungry, it's going to be a battle and my officer loves his pizza at 2am, I will eat half of it given the chance at that hour!

So I am calling on my awesome new friends or friends to be for advice and ideas on how to fix this fear that I am going to destroy my work. Monday I will go home and try and sleep for awhile, but really the next 3 days will be messed up until I can get myself back. I am really only taking the shift because the person who normally works just had his best friend of 50 years pass away and he needs to attend the funeral.

That's the most important part to me. Really if I blow my calories for 3 days because of it, it's not the end of the world. But, losing 3 pounds last week was really awesome so that's keeping me going too. This is new to me as well but, help please :)

Replies

• Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    wow this could be tough..but not impossible. If you really want to do it you are going to have to say "no" to a lot of the food. Can you pack some lunches? I would get you some low carb tortilla whole wheat shells..and put some turkey slices and fat free cheese with mustard. Pack some grapes..grapes work wonders for me when I feel the need to munch. Find some 100 calorie snack bags of a variety of food. Tally calories up and put in paper sacks so that you take only that.
    Ok I'm a sucker for pizza. Take one slice and cut it up in small sections and eat grapes with it.
    The Greek food .yeah that's gonna be a tough one..but you just have to set your mind at it. I mean don't go all crazy with it..if you mess up you mess up and you just go on. I've stopped looking at this as a "diet"..diets set a person up to fail. A lifestyle change on the other hand means there will be mess ups and you pick yourself up and dust yourself off and keep going. We didn't get to this place overnight so if we take baby steps ..that's what we do.
    I admire that you are even considering this. Months ago I wouldn't even care if I over ate..and now I really stop to consider it. And you are doing that too.. :)
    See that's another thing. I have a family reunion I am going to today..and my side of the family are all (pats back) awesome cooks. There will be tons of awesome food and I'm going to have to make wiser choices..and we aren't big on potlucks loaded with "good choices"...so it means I will take a small plate and that's all I will have and I will need to carry on more conversation (again not a problem..hence the length of this post )..to make my food last longer. To me that's been a big key..to chew slowly and really enjoy the portion of food I am allowing myself.
    I for one think you've got this...you can do it!!! :)
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    1) for your extra shift take your food preprepared and plan ahead. Base it around what you would prefer - one big meal or lots of smaller snacky type bits. Whichever you feel is likely to help you more easily avoid the pizza.

2) for the festival. I don't know much about greek food and I don't know what type of stuff will be there. If there is lots of stuff you like can you have 1 mouthful of each rather than feeling deprived? Your biggest friend here is portion control. Have a little bit of the things you want not all of it. If there is someone to share food with (so you are not eating it all yourself) then it all helps. Will you be doing a lot of walking? Try to keep on your feet if you have the option as this will burn more calories.

3) You have to believe you can do this, if you believe you will fail then you are setting yourself up to do so as there is no reason to properly try. You can do it if you want it hard enough. Keep focused on what works for you - keep a goal in mind. For me it is what I will wish I had done now in a years time. Others like to imagine fitting into a specific piece of clothing or performing a specific task. Pick something and take a reminder with you, something to keep you focused on what you want to do.

You are probably more worried as this is obviously one of your biggest weaknesses but you can and will win. Keep focused and have fun :smile:
  • scottbad
    Options
    You got this. I wouldn't sweat it. I am against the "I'll just let go and make it up later" mentallity. Be vigilant. Don't sweat it if you know you are going over your calories. Let it happen, but be aware and don't worry. Small portions of everything you want and no second helpings - unless it's really good.
  • natalieg0307
    natalieg0307 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    You can do this. Drink LOTS of water. Eat before you go to the festival. This way if you indulge in the great food, you won't over indulge. Drink more water. Bring your own food to work....and drink lots of water and eat a slice of pizza at 2am. One will fill you up since you have been drinking water.

Enjoy your fun filled weekend!
  • MooMooooo
    MooMooooo Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Identifying triggers is half the battle, there will always be difficult occasions.

My advice is to eat mindfully and s.l.o.w.l.y.

Enjoy each mouthful, take smaller portions and don't finish anything that you're not enjoying. Throw substandard food in the garbage immediately.

Oh, and don't drink any calories - stick to water or diet drinks.

Good luck!
  • jacmom29
    jacmom29 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You are doing great losing the 3 pounds and you know seeing that loss made you feel really good so keep that in mind these next few days it will help, That said ENJOY your weekend---enjoy your friends, the conversations, the music, being outdoors, the sites the smells of nature, working along side people you don't regularly see---don't let food be your focus. Have a fabulous time and I can't wait to see your post in a few days, like another post said You can do this!
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I am going to face my first real test this weekend since my lifestyle change. I have fought the food battle a couple of times at a wedding and anniversary party recently by planning ahead and being quite active and that will be in play here too. My wife and I are going to a Greek festival with friends tonight. I come from a large Greek family and that's part of what got me to 300+ pounds

I know that. I want all the good high calorie dishes obviously, which is the fight. I'm going to get the baked chicken, I just have to. We're stopping at my wife and our friend's wife's favorite store on the way, I'll be the guy wandering the aisles constantly moving in a effort to burn some calories off! That's not my concern really though. Tomorrow is. I am scheduled weather permitting to umpire 2 softball games, lots of good calories gone there, no issue. Then it will time for the Patriots game, food in moderation needs to happen there.

Then I need to try and get some sleep in, I'm working a 3rd shift overtime job from 11p Sunday to 7a on Monday. I work during the day, that shift messes with me badly. Lack of sleep makes me hungry, being up in the wee hours makes me hungry, it's going to be a battle and my officer loves his pizza at 2am, I will eat half of it given the chance at that hour!

So I am calling on my awesome new friends or friends to be for advice and ideas on how to fix this fear that I am going to destroy my work. Monday I will go home and try and sleep for awhile, but really the next 3 days will be messed up until I can get myself back. I am really only taking the shift because the person who normally works just had his best friend of 50 years pass away and he needs to attend the funeral.

That's the most important part to me. Really if I blow my calories for 3 days because of it, it's not the end of the world. But, losing 3 pounds last week was really awesome so that's keeping me going too. This is new to me as well but, help please :)

one of the tricks that I have for pizza that I learned a long time ago and forgot - eat your pizza with a knife and fork and cut it into smaller bites - you get the awesomeness of pizza (the perfect food for flavor) but because eating it with utensils causes you to eat slower you fill up faster (even if it's just psychologically)

Keep lots of water with you and drink it constantly - dehydration will make you feel hunger even if you arent actually hungry

the suggestions to keep things like grapes with you to nibble on is good too - at work I keep a divided container on my desk that has celery & carrots cut into tiny little pieces (about the size of a trivial pursuit pie) and the other side has cheese cut into the same size bits - I pick at it all day - 1 cup on each side is 2 cups of food - minimal cals - and I spend all day nibbling on it because I only take one or two bits at a time to make sure I can eat them between phone calls.

try to make the best choices you can with whatever's in front of you and if you go over your numbers a bit over the next couple days its not that big - make sure you're getting the exercise in while you're eating the not so great things will help keep things in balance!

You'll be ok I think because you're aware of what you want to do, what you dont want to do and what your problem issues are going to be - if you know what your issues are you can face / deal with them - it's the not knowing that gets us into trouble
  • alexp74
    alexp74 Posts: 125
    Options
    Thanks everyone! The festival I'm ok with because as much as I want the other stuff I have committed in my mind that I'm having the roasted chicken.

The late shift and the day or two after I'm planning on preparing good things for me and things I like that aren't going to make me feel like I am further hurting myself.

I'm starting to get it, portions are getting smaller without me thinking a whole lot about it, I'm making substitutions for things that are higher in calories. Since I've been tracking calories and food I have only gone over 4 days, the worst overage was 400 calories, not a huge deal, and I'm ok if that happens again.

We all know how it feels when we go overboard one day and say tomorrow will be better and then it continues, been there so many times I could write a book. So that is really the piece I want to guard against. I really am not anticipating messing up though!
  • emileesgram
    emileesgram Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Don't anticipate you will mess up! Try to remain positive that you can make good choices, you can say no to food and you can plan ahead. I use to worry all the time that I might be hungry but then realized that I was thinking way too much about food....lots of water helps. Good luck, I think you got this. It is a long journey so don't beat yourself up if you go over, there is always a next day.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    YOU can do this! First of all, each time you deny yourself something that will not nourish your body and just make you fat, you get STRONGER!

I have a huge family too (over 90 nieces and nephews alone!), and we always have GIANT get togethers with potluck dinners. I too, was afraid of going over on cals too. I learned to take some of my own healthy food and limit myself to one HALF cup of 2 other items. If I had dessert, I tried to have fruit, if not, I'd take a very small portion of whatever was there but nothing near the size of what I 'normally' would have had when I was fat. If I was still 'hungry' after that, I'd fill up on water and then play with the younger kids to distract me. After I did that the first time, it was a breeze afterwards. No guilt, no shame, no getting off track!

When you go through the store, pick up some fresh fruit or any other healthy stuff that you can pack and keep with you. Also, try to change family tradition by including some kind of exercise at your get-togethers. As long as it's something that makes you move, it's better than sitting at a table and stuffing your face. The others will join you!

Like I said, you can do this! Let us know how it goes. Friend request sent!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything helpful to add, but I wish you luck.

You can do this.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I think honestly, you quit worrying about it. I'll give you 3 reasons: One, stress causes elevated cortisol levels that can be worse for you than a few extra calories here or there. Two, occasional re-feeds can actually help your long-term success because they help reset the levels of leptin in your system, and also because they help your mental attitude. Three, this is a marathon, not a sprint. If you go over for a few days, it's not the end of the world. The important thing is to get right back on track afterward and get back to focusing on the weight loss.

One final thought: think of this time as "maintenance practice". In other words, see if you can go and enjoy yourself, but still make good food choices. If you do this, I promise you'll be super proud of yourself for resisting pigging out. Remember, this does not have to be an all or none proposition: eat smaller portions of all the tasty things you want, maybe avoid some because they're not as tasty as the extra calories the bring, and always keep in mind you're in this for the long haul.
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    1) for your extra shift take your food preprepared and plan ahead. Base it around what you would prefer - one big meal or lots of smaller snacky type bits. Whichever you feel is likely to help you more easily avoid the pizza.

2) for the festival. I don't know much about greek food and I don't know what type of stuff will be there. If there is lots of stuff you like can you have 1 mouthful of each rather than feeling deprived? Your biggest friend here is portion control. Have a little bit of the things you want not all of it. If there is someone to share food with (so you are not eating it all yourself) then it all helps. Will you be doing a lot of walking? Try to keep on your feet if you have the option as this will burn more calories.

3) You have to believe you can do this, if you believe you will fail then you are setting yourself up to do so as there is no reason to properly try. You can do it if you want it hard enough. Keep focused on what works for you - keep a goal in mind. For me it is what I will wish I had done now in a years time. Others like to imagine fitting into a specific piece of clothing or performing a specific task. Pick something and take a reminder with you, something to keep you focused on what you want to do.

You are probably more worried as this is obviously one of your biggest weaknesses but you can and will win. Keep focused and have fun :smile:
    THIS^
  • randysbombshellgirl
    Options
    I too am in a similar situation tonight I have a 50th b- day party of a very good friend. I know there will be amazing Portuguese food. What I have done is worked out really hard and saving calories for the party. I wish you luck and if we "slip"well just be better tomorrow. ( oh crap football starts.....it's always something isn't it!!!)
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Your a guy so guy's don't usually do this, but when tempted with pizza think about
    the guilt you will feel about yourself for giving in
    The joy you will feel for not giving in
    is far greater than the guilt of giving in to the pizza.
    It is the "tool" I use when tempted to eat what I should not.
    ( being hungry is not full but what works for me is 100 calorie pop corn or grapes
    I eat it slowly not all at once)
    Good luck to you
  • retrobaby
    retrobaby Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Fill up on ALL the good stuff like the roast chicken and veggies and drink your water.

DO NOT drink your calories!

Yes, dessert is OK in moderation AND only if you have worked out.

Deprivation leads to more desire to have the things you are most tempted by and eventually you go overboard. So, set, limits and stick to your guns.

Don't forget how hard you worked at losing 3 lbs. Just choose wisely.

Good luck!
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    All great advice as I venture to a wedding and my first 'trial' today. One thing I plan on implementing as necessary is knowing my maintenance calories. I wonder how accurate this is- but I long ago decided that on "harder" days (special occasions, holiday dinners, rare night out) I CAN eat at maintenance that day. It gives me around 300 or so calories extra as a buffer.

No that day Im not on the slide downward to a lower weight- but I figure at that calorie level I didnt gain or wreck it either. It one day (in your case 3) and wont wreck your progress if you take some or most of this advice and make it work for you. We all have to find our comfort zones within our new lifestyle.

Good luck - and congrats on figuring so much out - you can do this!
  • alexp74
    alexp74 Posts: 125
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am tired of fighting this rather alone, my wife supports me but she's so busy with other things its not coming off as quickly for her and I just need support from people outside.

Not having a big support network is why I have failed before, not failing this time!
  • MonicaMeeks
    MonicaMeeks Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I had the same experience when I went to my family reunion a few weeks ago. I recommend you eat smaller portions and drink lots of water. If time permits exercise! You can do this. Mind over manner!
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Feel the power!