Diet and identity

Options
I came to a shocking realization late in life (I just turned forty) that for long periods of my life I used my diet as a way to define who I am. When I was a teenager I became a vegetarian. I hung out with other veg heads and ate my tofu. It was more like a world view. Then at 28 when I was pregnant and didn't know it yet I ate a hamburger. Gasp! It was very traumatic for me. And it made me question my beliefs and made me think perhaps I really was not ingesting the pain and souls of poor tortured animals by eating them. I still love animals. I get most of our meat from Dads farm. His animals have it great. Just one bad day.

I did experiment again with being a vegan for a year or so after that. But I just couldn't fully commit to the way of life. My husband likes to call it a cult.

I've also toyed with paleo to help me lose weight. I found myself getting sucked into the dogma once again. I also found the more I cut out from my diet the more my body metabolically adjusted to certain foods. I found myself suddenly having a sensitivity to grains when I had never had such a thing before. I found myself only cooking paleo for my kids and hubby when they had no desire to eat that way. Anyway, I've stopped that insanity and started eating a balanced diet again and my body is doing just fine.

I don't want to give the impression that I'm a flake. I have four kids. Im married. (to a great man who sticks by me and tries to be my voice of reason when I'm off on one of my kicks). I have a masters degree. I'm a settled person and I contribute positively to to society. But I think if I really look deep I have found in the past that I have used a diet lifestyle to help define a part of who I am. I think there are a lot of diet gurus out there trying to make a buck on people, I hate to admit it, like me. Well no more!

I'm so glad I found this forum as it helps keep me on a balanced path to health. I don't mean to offend anyone who is a vegan, or paleo, or fruitarians, or Furhman followers, or whatever. I am not passing judgement. Just giving my personal experience and opinion. That's all.

Replies

• RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I see a lot of people go through that. My friend Joanne was a strict vegetarian till she got lupus and the doc told her to start eating chicken and fish and now she manages her weight better in her 50s than she ever did as a vegetarian lol.

I wish the weight-loss industry would lose the word "diet" and start promoting healthy nutrition and moving! I'm a Beachbody coach and i"m sure I'd do better financially if I just peddled a quick fix rather than good nutrition and fitness programs. But I lose my weight and kept it off for over 20 yrs by exercising, so I refuse to sell a lie.
  • rherington
    rherington Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Great post! I believe the first words out of your mouth when answering the question "Who are you" is usually what you use to define yourself. For most it is what they do for work.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    This is an insightful post.

I'm glad you've come to the realizations that you have, as some people never do.

I think what you've gone through, while not universally applicable to everyone, is still pretty common and you'll get the sense of that on the forums on occasion.

I think your post serves as a reminder of sorts.

Thanks for sharing.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Great post! Well thought out and easily read.

Another person who "gets" it. Hopefully, more people will follow.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    This is an insightful post.

I'm glad you've come to the realizations that you have, as some people never do.

I think what you've gone through, while not universally applicable to everyone, is still pretty common and you'll get the sense of that on the forums on occasion.

I think your post serves as a reminder of sorts.

Thanks for sharing.

Totally agree! With one exception. This 61 year old doesn't think you came to this realization "late" in life in your 40s! Hahahha!! You are still a young chick to me!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I've discovered I use food to try to "fix" whatever is wrong with me. Grief, stress and even migraines. It never works but I always keep trying it.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Amazing conclusion! You are indeed correct..food is not an addiction..it is something we must learn to live with and define how we are able to live our lives. It is by all, just something to help us move forward. Nothing but an energy supplement for our daily lives. I have done many things as well and came with the same conclusion as yourself. I am living a much better lifestyle and loving it.

Thank you for sharing:flowerforyou:
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Greatt post, I lol'd @ "one bad day"
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    yep, people could save a lot of money by just learning to eat in moderation, and exercise.
  • LMPMOM4
    Options
    Yes, I cringe sometimes at all the money I have spent on stupid diet gimmicks. NOT good.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Very interesting read!

I understand what you are saying about diet sometimes coming to define you. In fact, I suspect some people adopt labels like vegan, paleo, gluten-free, etc. to make themselves feel like 'special snowflakes.' I know I have been one of those people in the past.

Labels for people can be very divisive. But, labels to help consumers find suitable items to buy are actually helpful. So why not be a person who buys vegetarian/vegan products--either full or part-time--instead of *BEING* a vegetarian/vegan. I think language like this takes some of the pressure off of everyone.

The 'non-vegan vegan' is a label I have heard lately and like. Here are a couple links to this new way of living a vegan lifestyle without being a perfectionist to a fault:

http://pythagoreancrank.com/?p=2302

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/hillary-rettig/vegan-lifestyle_b_1690352.html
  • LMPMOM4
    Options
    Thanks for the links vergingonvegan :)
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the links vergingonvegan :)

No problem! I wish more people would jump into this thread to extend the discussion more. I think it's a fascinating subject!