would appreciate any advice please :)

HELLO ALL. JUST WANTED SOME EDVICE AND HELP ON RIGHT AMOUNT OF CALORIES AS THE WJOLE THING IS A LITTLE CONFUSING.

Im 5ft 5inch
weigh 177 pounds
and am 28 years old
i have a desk job but walk alot and got to the gym for 45 minuites 3 days a week.

I want to loose about 1lb a month and my overall goal is to loose 24lbs....
Ive set my diary to eat 1520 cals a day. does this seem right???

Also should i eat back my gym calories lost or not as i see a lot of conflicting advice on this. My diary is open if anyone wants to look. been on this a week so far and have lost 1lb which is my goal so think im doing ok just thought id check.

Many thanks in advance :)

Replies

• Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    If your weight loss is progressing as you want, and you feel ok in terms of hunger and energy levels, then carry on as you are. You can get MFP to automatically set your calorie level depending on activity levels and weight loss goals, I personally set mine to quite high compared to others (1630 - sedentary; 0.5lb/week weight loss) as I'm used to eating a lot and I'm vile when I'm hungry!

With respect to eating back gym calories, it depends on how hungry you are! After a long workout, I will eat some calories back as I'm pretty starving.
  • bunnyfofo
    bunnyfofo Posts: 3 Member
    Hi, just looking through and thought I would add my two cents worth :)

I looked through your food diary and although the foods you are eating match what you need in terms of calories and you are under target (for the most part) on you fat and sugar intake, alot of the food you are eating is high GI. Eating high GI foods results in unstable blood sugar levels, this reduces your bodies metabolism (the rate your body burns fat). It also means you get hungry faster and are more inclined to snack on unhealthy things because your bodie needs a sugar boost when it hits a low. So you need to aim to eat more low GI foods (whole wheat breat and wraps, all bran flakes, fresh fruit and veg) less high processed foods with fast release sugar like ice cream (see you are fond of your ice cream- so am I, but try to limit this to rewards for sucess only, not regularly). The peanut butter granola bars for breakfast need to go, very high GI, replace this with a slice of whole wheat bread, all bran flakes or whole oat porrige.
    The crisps with your lunch should go too, (high sodium, high fat, high GI). Snacks should be a something like whole fruit or fat free yoghurt. The chicken breast is good for lunch, replace the wraps with wholewheat wraps to lower the meal's GI. Try to eat less chocolate etc.

Before I fell pregnant with my daughter I lost 2 stone by doing this and by eating more soup. Now that I have given birth I am back on the same plan (more or less, with a bit of cheating on the way...) If you eat soup (strangely enough) it stays in your stomach for longer meaning you dont feel inclined to snack, if you eat a soup with protien in it (like beans or lentils, chicken soup etc) along with a whole wheat roll or slice of whole wheat bread, you will be fuller for longer.

Hope this helps. Otherwise keep up the hard work, you will get there, you just need to make a few changes :)
  • bunnyfofo
    bunnyfofo Posts: 3 Member
    Lol, please excuse my spelling!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    HELLO ALL. JUST WANTED SOME EDVICE AND HELP ON RIGHT AMOUNT OF CALORIES AS THE WJOLE THING IS A LITTLE CONFUSING.

Im 5ft 5inch
    weigh 177 pounds
    and am 28 years old
    i have a desk job but walk alot and got to the gym for 45 minuites 3 days a week.

Also should i eat back my gym calories lost or not as i see a lot of conflicting advice on this. My diary is open if anyone wants to look. been on this a week so far and have lost 1lb which is my goal so think im doing ok just thought id check.

My advice would be to not change anything yet. I would not concern yourself with glycemic index either.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    I would keep your calorie settings as is, and eat at least some of your non-exercise calories back. With regard to your diary, you should start tracking protein and try to go over the MFP default settings (by quite a lot as they are very low). Tracking sugar is not needed imo unless you have a medical condition that requires you to do so (its already part of carbs).

Don't worry about restricting food groups - just eat a balanced diet - fruits, veggies, a mix of source of fats - and worry about hitting your calories and macros. Try not to over-complicate it.
  • Hi, just looking through and thought I would add my two cents worth :)

I looked through your food diary and although the foods you are eating match what you need in terms of calories and you are under target (for the most part) on you fat and sugar intake, alot of the food you are eating is high GI. Eating high GI foods results in unstable blood sugar levels, this reduces your bodies metabolism (the rate your body burns fat). It also means you get hungry faster and are more inclined to snack on unhealthy things because your bodie needs a sugar boost when it hits a low. So you need to aim to eat more low GI foods (whole wheat breat and wraps, all bran flakes, fresh fruit and veg) less high processed foods with fast release sugar like ice cream (see you are fond of your ice cream- so am I, but try to limit this to rewards for sucess only, not regularly). The peanut butter granola bars for breakfast need to go, very high GI, replace this with a slice of whole wheat bread, all bran flakes or whole oat porrige.
    The crisps with your lunch should go too, (high sodium, high fat, high GI). Snacks should be a something like whole fruit or fat free yoghurt. The chicken breast is good for lunch, replace the wraps with wholewheat wraps to lower the meal's GI. Try to eat less chocolate etc.

Before I fell pregnant with my daughter I lost 2 stone by doing this and by eating more soup. Now that I have given birth I am back on the same plan (more or less, with a bit of cheating on the way...) If you eat soup (strangely enough) it stays in your stomach for longer meaning you dont feel inclined to snack, if you eat a soup with protien in it (like beans or lentils, chicken soup etc) along with a whole wheat roll or slice of whole wheat bread, you will be fuller for longer.

Hope this helps. Otherwise keep up the hard work, you will get there, you just need to make a few changes :)

thanks very much for your reply. Im going to get rid of the breakfast bars and start having toast, cereal or poached eggs. The crisp with lunch im going to keep as i see this as a life long healthy eating plan and i cant see me never eating crisps again lol, i do try to choose the ones with the less cals. Defo need to start eating more fruit and veg as dont really eat them at the mo.

many thanks :)
  • FormerSuperHero
    FormerSuperHero Posts: 70 Member
    Hi, just looking through and thought I would add my two cents worth :)

thank you for the info
  • I would keep your calorie settings as is, and eat at least some of your non-exercise calories back. With regard to your diary, you should start tracking protein and try to go over the MFP default settings (by quite a lot as they are very low). Tracking sugar is not needed imo unless you have a medical condition that requires you to do so (its already part of carbs).

Don't worry about restricting food groups - just eat a balanced diet - fruits, veggies, a mix of source of fats - and worry about hitting your calories and macros. Try not to over-complicate it.

brilliant thanks very much, im going to make a couple very small changes but other than that just going to keep going, ohh and ive now gone back to the gym so that should help :) xx
  • HELLO ALL. JUST WANTED SOME EDVICE AND HELP ON RIGHT AMOUNT OF CALORIES AS THE WJOLE THING IS A LITTLE CONFUSING.

Im 5ft 5inch
    weigh 177 pounds
    and am 28 years old

My advice would be to not change anything yet. I would not concern yourself with glycemic index either.

thank you :) xx
  • If your weight loss is progressing as you want, and you feel ok in terms of hunger and energy levels, then carry on as you are. You can get MFP to automatically set your calorie level depending on activity levels and weight loss goals, I personally set mine to quite high compared to others (1630 - sedentary; 0.5lb/week weight loss) as I'm used to eating a lot and I'm vile when I'm hungry!

With respect to eating back gym calories, it depends on how hungry you are! After a long workout, I will eat some calories back as I'm pretty starving.

thank you very much :) xx