Making burgers for my man...

Options
KimberlyDCZ
KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
My man loves burgers and I'm making him dinner tonight. I've been seeing recipes online for stuffed burgers but none that seem nutritious. I want to do something different but healthy, maybe try a new sauce in place of mayo, or substitute something healthier for the bun. Any ideas?

Replies

• saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    stuff them with some reduced fat cheese or something.
  • emnk5308
    Options
    Hummus works instead of mayo, it is YUMMY too! ^^The reduced fat cheese is a good one! Mustard is 0 cal's... Try wheat buns instead of white, and lean ground beef if you make your own burger =)
  • kat5556
    kat5556 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    It's really about the beef you start off with. Get some lean beef (I know it's the fat that makes them taste so good) and then what I do is blend up (I love my Ninja blender) spices, onion, sometimes mushrooms and zucchini, and as the other poster said you can use some low fat cheese and you'll have a great burger. My BIL using some fresh mint in his burgers and they are really good.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    Options
    I'm definitely using lean ground beef. I love wheat buns for other things but it just seems out of place for a burger. I want to do something with veggies too. We're having sweet potato fries as a side. I have some reduced fat cream cheese I might use in the stuffing or mixed in. I've never made a stuffed burger before so I'm not really sure where to start or how to be sure everything cooks up evenly.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

Whole fat cheeses are better than low fat cheese. Same goes with all "low fat" products. In order to keep the flavor, they need to pack it full of salt and sugar. The refining process also removes a lot of micro nutrients. If you're not going to eat the whole fat product, you might as well not eat any at all.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    http://www.closetcooking.com/2012/05/bacon-wrapped-jalapeno-popper-burgers.html

JalapenoPopperBurgers5002297.jpg

Made these last night. and they were delicious. sub fat free cream cheese and reduced fat cheese and with a normal bun it should leave you around 500 calories for the whole burger.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely using lean ground beef. I love wheat buns for other things but it just seems out of place for a burger. I want to do something with veggies too. We're having sweet potato fries as a side. I have some reduced fat cream cheese I might use in the stuffing or mixed in. I've never made a stuffed burger before so I'm not really sure where to start or how to be sure everything cooks up evenly.
    Make your own sweet potato fries. There are plenty of healthy buns out there. Lol, at wheats buns not being right for a burger...
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Lettuce for the bun, or flat bread if you have to have bread.
    Use a vegan cheese for the stuffing
    Add veggies to the stuffing
    Avoid adding salt and heavy sauces
    More veggies!

Edit- Try ground turkey :) It's really good.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Whole fat cheeses are better than low fat cheese. Same goes with all "low fat" products. In order to keep the flavor, they need to pack it full of salt and sugar. The refining process also removes a lot of micro nutrients. If you're not going to eat the whole fat product, you might as well not eat any at all.
    Not true when it comes to cheese making. The fat in the cheese is dependent on the milk you start with, there's no extra "refining" involved.

Also, can't speak for the OP's man, but when I want a burger, I want a BURGER. No weird substitutions or subterfuges. Meat, cheese, toppings, bun. Not everything needs to be "remade."
  • MinnesotaManimal
    Options

some of the reduced fat / fat free cheeses have as much as 3x protein as the full fat versions, I use them in specific applications to tweak the macros of a dish while still giving flavor and texture.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I agree with the ideas here, veggies. My husband likes peppers. I love cooking for my man and I'm glad he likes healthy stuff and wants me to do that. He hates mayo and I am allergic to chicken eggs so that makes it easy, just good mustard.

I like the lean ground beef, locally raised and organic, free from hormones and such, YUM. It sounds so good!

Have fun and enjoy life and enjoy food, that is what living is all about.
  • beadalicious
    beadalicious Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Use a huge piece of romaine lettuce as a wrap instead of the bun. Kraft has a chipotle mayo that is low fat and full of flavor!

I didnt have romaine the other day, so used a cup of mixed salad greens, tossed my burger toppings on (tomato, pickle, onion, chipotle mayo, shredded cheese) and diced up my hamburger patty. I was surprised how good it was, and it got in an extra serving of vegetables making it this way also.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    Options
    Also, can't speak for the OP's man, but when I want a burger, I want a BURGER. No weird substitutions or subterfuges. Meat, cheese, toppings, bun. Not everything needs to be "remade."

This is quite accurate, I did make suggestions for making it more " calorie friendly" but I made and consumed the full fat version last night. I knew what I was making for dinner and I just left room for it, even had butter on my roasted sweet corn.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    Options

This is so true! I rarely like the flavor of reduced fat cheese anyways, but I can tolerate the 1/3 fat cream cheese, even though it's kinda watery.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    Options
    http://www.closetcooking.com/2012/05/bacon-wrapped-jalapeno-popper-burgers.html

JalapenoPopperBurgers5002297.jpg

Made these last night. and they were delicious. sub fat free cream cheese and reduced fat cheese and with a normal bun it should leave you around 500 calories for the whole burger.

THAT looks awesome!
  • KimberlyDCZ
    Options
    I make him regular burgers all the time, I just want to do something different and creative without adding a lot of fat and calories. He don't mind it being healthy, he actually prefers it. We were watching Triple D last night and he was like "can you make me that?" every few minutes and I had already agreed to make burgers tonight so trying to add a little something to make it special.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Green chile cheeseburgers, green chile queso sauce, green chiles, pickled red onions and blue corn tortilla strips on pretzel rolls

20120731_181703.jpg

Italian grilled cheese burger, 2 garlic bread, asiago fresco and pancetta grilled cheeses for buns, a 8.5 oz patty topped with some lombardo peppers and pesto

20120626_181832.jpg
    20120626_181946.jpg
    [/quote]

Pork and beef bulgogi scallion burgers on steamed buns, topped with kimchi, bacon and a gochujang/sriracha GY sauce.

20120717_180511.jpg
    20120717_180604.jpg
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Green chile cheeseburgers, green chile queso sauce, green chiles, pickled red onions and blue corn tortilla strips on pretzel rolls

20120731_181703.jpg

Italian grilled cheese burger, 2 garlic bread, asiago fresco and pancetta grilled cheeses for buns, a 8.5 oz patty topped with some lombardo peppers and pesto

20120626_181832.jpg
    20120626_181946.jpg

Pork and beef bulgogi scallion burgers on steamed buns, topped with kimchi, bacon and a gochujang/sriracha GY sauce.

20120717_180511.jpg
    20120717_180604.jpg
    [/quote]

Mother of burgers... those look great...
  • sem021966
    Options
    YUM!! I'll take one of the Italian ones please :-)
  • KimberlyDCZ
    Options
    So far I'm running with the jalapeno popper idea since I already have the cream cheese, he likes spicy, and I LOVE jalapeno poppers myself. I'm thinking stuff it with cream cheese, a few bacon crumbles, and jalapenos. Then maybe add some other veggies like finely chopped mushroom, red peppers, onion, and zucchini (or use this as a topping?) For the sauce, I'm leaning towards a plain greek yogurt base with some ranch powder to cool it down, add a puree of diced tomatoes and green chilies for a zip without the bite. Homegrown tomato, lettuce, and red onion. Still undecided on the bun...