Going on an all inclusive vacation

Options
We are headed to Sandals soon, and I am really excited! I have been there before, and if anyone else has been, you know there are just constant food and drinks all the time. I know that I am going to cheat on vacation, and I spent all that money to be there, so I am going to enjoy it! Dirty Bananas are my favorite drinks in the world, and one of them is probably already 400 calories!!

So, I am trying to lose weight before I go (been trying, but keep cheating etc). Part of why I'm cheating is that I know when I go on vacation that I am going to gain weight. So it feels like wasted effort to lose it now, and I think I may even gain MORE weight by losing now, and then eating then and gaining back. If I stay where I am, I might not gain as much weight.

We have been there before, so I have been in this situation before, so I just wondered if anyone else does this, and what you normally do.

And just to put it out there, if your solution is not to eat anything on vacation, it's not going to happen, lol! I try to be kind of good, and get an egg white omlette for breakfast, we often skip lunch, and I am a vegetarian and oftentimes have very little for dinner because I can't find anything I like. And I skip dessert since the drinks are bad enough. But they have some veggie burgers that are to die for, so I am sure to have some of those, too!

Thanks for the help!! :)

Replies

• alatoyajones
    alatoyajones Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Number 1: Stop cheating b/c you think you will gain
    Number 2: Stay on track so it isn't work doing so on vacation
    Number 3: It is ok to have drinks and eat veggie burgers ( but I would drink lots of water )
    Number 4: Get a good workout every AM so your burning calories from that and the different things you do on your Vacation
    Number 5: Have FUN!!!!!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I went on a Caribbean vacation last Christmas and New Years. I had just achieved my weight loss goal a couple months before so I was super careful in the weeks before the trip and ate a little low ahead of time and let myself drop a few lbs. I totally enjoyed food on vacation but sometimes I would just skip one meal a day and that helped keep it under control, other than that we were physically active doing fun stuff outdoors. No way were we going to do gym workouts.

Its vacation. Have fun. Eat and drink when you want. And if you are not hungry you don't have to eat if you don't want to. Just do what you want. Come back and deal with it. You know what to do about it already.
  • MSmooth747
    MSmooth747 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    when I went on vacation I ate what I wanted too.

But I only have 3 meals, and didnt snack.

Plus since we were on vacation I hard all the time in the world to work. So I worked out and walked alot, so that helps.

But I would suggest doing well before you go, every bit helps.

I too amd going back to Cancun this Thanksgiving to a resort.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    I cruise for a week in one week. It's been a wierd, bargain shopping year , and this will actually be my third long cruise in one year. Even before I joined MFP I did not gain weight during my vacation because my normal life is sedentary and on vaca I am ACTIVE. I know Sandals has stuff to do, as well as eat and drink, so make sure you DO STUFF! (and wear sunbock) I am ready to get my swim on, my snorkel gear is packed.

HAVE A GREAT TIME!
  • BSBgirl337
    BSBgirl337 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    This is my 8th time going, and I ALWAYS gain weight! Good job to those of you who don't. Like I said, there are just too many things there to not gain any, at least for my body. One dirty banana is already too much, lol! I can usually lose it in 2 weeks, but I think dieting before I go hurts more than helps. When I am not really "dieting" before I go ( I am almost always on a diet unfortunately), I gain less while I'm there.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Just try to be active on your vacation. Yes, a dirty banana might have 400 calories, but you can easily burn that off by dancing for 50-60 minutes! And, I know they have group exercise classes available because a few of my teachers have taught resort classes while they were on vacation.
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I had a 2-week all inclusive Dom Rep break in January. Ate and drank what I wanted with pretty much no restrictions, but I continued my C25K, played beach volleyball every day and swam, snorkelled and kayaked - I had the kind of active break that would have been impossible 12 months earlier.

My weight was exactly the same when I got home as it was the day I left.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Enjoy yourself and get back to your workout plan when you return.
  • BSBgirl337
    BSBgirl337 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    @AZ There is no where for me to dance for an hour unless I dance by myself, lol! We normally work out every other day, and our room is at the top of a big hill, and we always try to walk it. And the resort has lots of steps, so that helps.

There is really not that much physical activity going on at the resort. The classes are primarily yoga which I can't stand, and feel like I haven't done anything. They also charge for some of them, which I think is just ridiculous since people are on vacation and are deterred from exercise anyway! And the water sports and glass bottom boats, snorkeling, etc, and that isn't going to burn too much. I'm not trying to sound negative. There just isn't a lot of exercise unless you pay to go off resort, and we don't do that too much. I am taking a catamaran and we dance on the way back, so that will be a little something!

@TopsKing, in all honesty, I will probably go your way and eat and drink what I want and worry about it when I get home! I will still do the egg white omelette, diet coke rather than regular, etc, but if I am honest with myself, no matter what dieting plans I make, I am going to break it! So many great things there, too hard to pass up! Drinking out of a coconut, yum!! :)