Diet...what is right, and why should I believe you?

Options

Replies

• maryjay51
    Options
    figuring out what works for you is what is right.. you surely know what doesnt work and that is what got you on here in the first place. for me ive found what works but it took me a long time to not only find what works for me but to develop new eating habits that im happy with.. i do eat breakfast because ididnt before and i was 300lbs.. and i do eat late at night but i make it a high protein snack like a protein shake instead of ice cream or pizza. my diet doesnt necessarily work for someone else for various reasons .. just keep learning and you will figure it out
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Learn how food is digested and how the body uses it.

People will keep to the dogma that calories in vs calories out is the way regardless of what you do, but that is not true either.

I eat low or reduced carb. I use intermittent fasting. I've lost weight.

Others eat high carb, and eat 6 times per day. They lose wieght.

Some do a combination.

All of those can fail even if they are in a caloric deficit.

Do what ever makes the progress easiest for you. Trial and Error for your own progress is all that matters.

This! !000 times this!
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I have read articles this week either in magazines or via Internet links that all contradict each other in terms of diet 'tips' or 'myths'...what information is correct? Also if you favour or consolidate one theory, why should I believe that, over any other theories?

Losing weight is difficult enough without confusing the daily routine with 'do's and don'ts' that may or may not be true!

E.g. "breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and skipping it can lead to your body instigating starvation mode"... Against
    "there is no evidence to suggest that not eating first thing in the morning is detrimental to a weight loss plan..."

"you should never eat after 8pm as your metabolism slows down and the body stores fat..." against
    "it doesn't matter what time of day you eat, as long as you are within your calorie and exercise goals"

"muscle weighs more than fat so those added pounds could be muscle mass" ... Against
    "...muscle doesn't weigh more...That's like saying a ton of lead weighs more than a ton of feathers?!..."

I could go on and on, and although I am paraphrasing the statements, the confusion is obvious. What is right?

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and should never be skipped. It is what fuels you for the day and I would rather burn calories from breakfast than have my body turn to my muscle mass for a quick snack :wink:

Muscle does weigh more than fat. I am a size 1 and weigh about 126 pounds. When someone takes a guess at my weight they usually say around 110 and sometimes less. I love to fool the guy at the fair that tries to guess your weight LOL My muscle mass, while heavier, gives me a much leaner look. I'm heavier than I was in high school but I'm a much smaller size.

Listen, tried and true is calories in versus calories out. I try to maintain a well balanced diet throughout the day, not so much focusing on a certain amount of carbs or protein but more on eating foods that are good for me. Life can sometimes get in the way so you do the best you can do and if you have a down day you do better the next day.

I eat after 8 pm all the time and I have had no problems. I know some people swear by it and if that works for them I think that is great but I find it doesn't make a difference.

I've lost and kept off a substantial amount of weight for the past several years. I don't have all the answers and I certainly learn new things everyday but I do have a good grasp on what I'm talking about and I can back it up with my success!

My advice to anyone is find what works for you but stick to the basics. Eat breakfast, try to eat whole foods as much as you can, limit red meat and get some exercise. As far as exercise goes I turned to running to lose the last 50 or so pounds but that is something I love to do. I suggest people find something they love to do or at least can tolerate and do it!
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    The muscle weighs more than fat bit is not based off the weight to weight. 1 lb of lean muscle is close to the size of a pencil. 1lb of fat is about the size of a drinking cup. So granted, it's 1lb vs 1lb, one has the appearance to be bigger than the other. THAT is what is meant by it weighs more than fat. Initially when working out and you still have fat you will be building up muscle which will cause a slight weight gain as the muscle is below the fat. The muscle will over time and continued exercise burn fat and will tone and cause some lb loss.

But other than that. Just do what's right for you. What works for me may not work for you. If you're hungry, eat something healthy. Common sense works for everyone. Don't deprive yourself every joy in the food world, just moderate it. Allow yourself once a week to eat a cookie or two, or a slice of pizza. But don't eat the whole box of cookies or whole pizza to yourself. Eat your veggies, eat as clean as you can, and get moving.

Don't think of it as a diet, diets don't work. Make it your lifestyle to eat better. Because a diet imposes you are going to do it to lose some weight, and then go back to old habits that caused you to gain it once you achieved. Eating healthy should be a lifestyle change to keep your body healthy as long as possible.
  • LiftHuff
    Options
    Look for evidence in your research. DON'T believe me, or anyone else here. Believe professionals with science to support their arguments. I can tell you right now that I'd contradict half of what the poster above me says. We are just people on the intarweb, each with our own levels of experience and accuracy. I know that the people I have seen say things that are actually backed up by a bit of science are Martin Berkhan, Lyle McDonald, and Alan Aragon. Look into those three for nutrition advice, not ANY of us.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I personally don't follow any "diet plan". A little common sense can go a long way.

I log what I eat, try to keep my macros in line as best I can, avoid greasy fried foods as much as I can, avoid sugary foods/drinks, drink water with every meal as well as in between meals, stay under my target calories, and exercise when I can.

For me it's about a lifestyle I can sustain, not a diet that I may or may not be able to live with long term. I ignore all of the fads and hype that is out there as they typically originate from someone somewhere trying to make a buck.
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I personally don't follow any "diet plan". A little common sense can go a long way.

I log what I eat, try to keep my macros in line as best I can, avoid greasy fried foods as much as I can, avoid sugary foods/drinks, drink water with every meal as well as in between meals, stay under my target calories, and exercise when I can.

For me it's about a lifestyle I can sustain, not a diet that I may or may not be able to live with long term. I ignore all of the fads and hype that is out there as they typically originate from someone somewhere trying to make a buck.

I love this! Much less wordy than my post and right to the point :wink: Congrats on your 30 pounds lost!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I believe in keeping it simple.

Eat less than your burn.
    Eat nutrient dense foods for the most part.
    Manange your macros (protein, fat, carbs in that order)
    Have a little fun and enjoy the food you eat.

The rest is usually someone wanting to sell you something.
  • Bookchick887
    Bookchick887 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Great post, Dawn. Everyone who has dieted has had to sort through the sea of information to find the facts. Reading through fitness pal posts can add to the confusion if we don't have the facts. I just finished a class on nutrition and it only scratched the surface of how our body functions and what it needs.
    There are so many things we read in MFP that are just people parroting what others say w/o really knowing the truth. There are many foods I look up that don't have an accurate calorie count. The most important thing is to use a reliable source for information if you read something that seems contradictory.
    MFP, for me, is a place to get/give support and accountability. like a health based Facebook.
    And to respond to a previous post: I wish it were a simple matter of calories consumed/burned. If that were true, I would have reached my goal weigh months ago. But I'm still happy that is working for you.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    burn more than u consume. end of story.
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    I have read articles this week either in magazines or via Internet links that all contradict each other in terms of diet 'tips' or 'myths'...what information is correct? Also if you favour or consolidate one theory, why should I believe that, over any other theories?

Losing weight is difficult enough without confusing the daily routine with 'do's and don'ts' that may or may not be true!

E.g. "breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and skipping it can lead to your body instigating starvation mode"... Against
    "there is no evidence to suggest that not eating first thing in the morning is detrimental to a weight loss plan..."

"you should never eat after 8pm as your metabolism slows down and the body stores fat..." against
    "it doesn't matter what time of day you eat, as long as you are within your calorie and exercise goals"

"muscle weighs more than fat so those added pounds could be muscle mass" ... Against
    "...muscle doesn't weigh more...That's like saying a ton of lead weighs more than a ton of feathers?!..."

I could go on and on, and although I am paraphrasing the statements, the confusion is obvious. What is right?

In my experience people over complicate what is essentially a simple concept: if you eat more than your body needs you will gain weight.

All the other arguments such as eat breakfast, don't eat breakfast, don't eat after 6 pm comes down to what lifestyle changes suit you that will also help you to consume less calories. So if someone who snacks regularly in the evenings stops eating after 6 pm then it's very likely they will be consuming less calories and will lose weight. Another person who doesn't eat breakfast may then potentially binge later in the day therefore it may suit that person to eat breakfast.

What I'm trying to say is in my opinion none of those things you list are right or wrong, it's how they work for you.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,131 Member
    Options
    Losing weight requires a moderate calorie deficit. That is it. Everything else, and I mean everything, is a matter of personal preference or in some cases requirement due to an individual's medical condition (diabetes, PCOS, etc. which all change thing). For everyone else, you need a calorie deficit.

Do 6 meals a day help or hurt you in terms of sticking to that calorie deficit. In themselves they make no difference.

I have friends who are completely happy eating 6 small meals a day. When I do it I am always tempted to eat more since small meals done satisfy me personally. So I don't eat 6 small meals a day because that would make me more likely to eat more. When I eat less bigger meals, I am less likely.

Keep the calorie deficit, and use the tips only if they help you. Nothing confusing about that.

The problem is people looking for ways to get around the eating less and doing more part with some magic trick. There are not any.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options

All of the above!
    I agree about the conflicting advice being frustrating, but in matters of health and weight loss, there is no quick fix. People want instant gratification, but so many of this have tried "diets" and if they really worked long term, then why would we be here?

Do the math, and stick to your plan for a few weeks. (Just enter your information in the set up here for starters.) Find out what works for you in the way of how much to eat each meal, macros, etc., so you are satisfied, and healthy. Get some exercise. Don't expect overnight results. Weigh and measure your food to get an accurate idea of portion sizes. It takes some work, but it does yield results!

Good luck!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Just Eat Real Food, not only will you be healthier but you'll look better naked as an incidental by-product.

Why believe me? You don't have to, but you know there is at least a germ of truth in it ...
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options

Okay, so I'm not a professional, but I have take a few nutrition courses and I have done a significant amount of research in my personal time. Everyone is different. You need to figure out what works well for you. Also, when you read something on the internet, see if it comes from a reputable source. (Ex, no Yahoo! articles.)

I personally think breakfast is important, but I wake up at 5:30 in the morning and I'm starving by 7. If you don't want to eat right away when you wake up, maybe have a snack later in the day.

I think your second one is taken a little out of context... The second statement usually pertains to the three square meals vs. 6 small meals argument. As far as that goes, it doesn't matter. Some people have success doing both. Not eating after 8 can be beneficial, because if you eat too much you will have a hard time sleeping. If you are hungry though, by all means eat something. A small, protein rich snack before bed can be helpful.

Muscle does not weigh more than fat. Muscle has a smaller volume than fat, so a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat. A pound is a pound no matter what you weigh. A pound of brick is much smaller than a pound of feathers, but it's still a pound.

If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to try to help you!
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    IMHO, that's why weight loss is so hard. Nothing works for 100% of people 100% of the time. There is some truth for in all of it, (well except a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat, it should be a pound of muscle has less volume than a pound of fat.) I can honestly say, I have been working to change my lifestyle for 3 maybe 4 years. I started with trying to clean up my diet but was so busy I couldn't stick to it 100% of the time. I felt better but didn't really lose weight. I cut out diet soda (for me this is huge) and I stopped gaining weight (that was about 2-3 years ago). Last July (2011), I had enough of my weight and started counting calories to lose. In the first year I lost roughly 30 pounds, but would still have binges and fall off the wagon often and felt it was extremely hard. Since about June of this year, I have been trying to regulate my blood sugar to reduce craving/binges ect. I feel this is the breakthrough I needed. I eat very few processed carbs and try to get protein and fat at every meal. I try to stick with one desert a week (usually something really good not a crappy candy bar ect). I probably average 2 cheat meals a week (mostly pizza). Sugar was the monkey on my back and since eliminating the majority of it my weight loss has picked up ( I'm currently at 36 pound, about 16 pounds of it lost since May or June.)

Anyhow, don't give up, and don't be afraid to play with your diet and allow your hunger levels and mood be your guide. I have a good friend who has lost over 100 pounds but if I ate the way she does my hunger levels would be over the moon.

Find your own path, some do well on low carb, some on low fat, some need to add exercise only, some need more fat, and some can so it by calories in = calories out.
  • MSmooth747
    MSmooth747 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think time of day dont matter.

I think calories are what matter. If you stay under your calorie limit and work out everyday, it will come off. Workout atleast 30mins a day.

I eat late, I eat fast food, I skip breakfast sometime. My family is big and I spent most of my life big also 500 lbs.

In the last 4 months I've lost 115lbs.

So why should you listen to me. Cause it works! I didn't lose this weight by accidient, and I'm still loosing
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Here is the best I can offer you:

1. Bulk up your diet with healthy, whole foods. The majority of your diet should come from here.
    2. Don't deprive yourself of indulgent foods. They should make up a small portion (less than 20%) of your diet.
    3. Eat at a calorie deficit
    4. Eat with a meal timing that works for your preferences and schedule. Eat breakfast if you want, don't if you don't want to, but find a consistent schedule (not rigid, consistent)
    5. Work out. Strength Train. Do this at a time that works for your preferences and schedule. Be consistent.

This should set you up for success.

Edit to add: Be patient
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    well I will tell you what worked for me. I was 210 pounds and just finished treatment for hodgkins lymphoma (100% cured now as this was about seven years ago).

I put myself on the six small meals a day diet with high protein. No carbs at night and kept drinking to a minimum. My work out regiment was combination of running and strength training (circuit training) ...so typical day would be:
    monday - an hour of circuit training
    tuesday - run about three miles
    wens - hour of circuit training
    thursday - run three miles
    friday - circuit train..
    sat/sunday - maybe go for a run but generally took the weekend off...

After about a year of that I was down to about 185 pounds....

Since then I have made some adjustments..i.e. working out with heavier weights taking in more calories to bulk up. I also discovered sprint training, which I LOVE way more then running ..never really been a distance type runner. Sprint interval is sprint full our thirty seconds, followed up 60 seconds of rest..do that about ten times...adjust as necessary....

Now I am about 170 and 17.5% body fat.....with a goal of cutting my body fat down to under 10%....

Good luck to you and let me know if you have questions...

I would say find something that works for you and stick with it. i would recommend keeping a journal of work out progress and weight/body fat..that is something that I just started doing and wish I would of done it years ago.....also, wish I would of counted calories and figured our right percent of carbs/fat/protein for me...as I have just discovered this recently...

working out/eating healthy is a journey..so pick a plan, enjoy the journey, and make adjustments as necessary and you will find out what works for you!
  • uclown2002
    uclown2002 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    There is only one universal truth: burn more calories than you take in and you will lose weight. It is as simple as that. Noting however that there are a few in this thread disputing it!

I've read that 80-95% of dieters who lost a significant amount of weight put it all back on (and more) within 5 years. I've done it myself several times :-)

I think what is critical, particularly when reaching your goal weight, is to have a long term SUSTAINABLE maintenance plan for YOU to keep the weight off. This is where most of those gainers fail.

I have found mine, but it wouldn't work for many others

Good luck on your journey.