walking to lose weight

Options
needing a scale to break down calories from walking. My Fitness Pal only breaks it down in minutes.I've bought a pedometer,
and it would tell you how many calories burnt, but it's not working right. does anybody know how to break it down fromsteps to calories burnt?

Replies

• kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I use several of the walking videos and a couple of them suggest that approximately 2000 steps equal a mile. Hope this helps.
  • Just_Pam
    Just_Pam Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It depends on a whole range of things. The calories burned for me walking 5000 steps would be different from you. Depends how fast you are walking, your age, weight, etc. There may be some program on line that you can use though.
  • sonnet2
    Options
    yes 2000 steps equal a mile.the goal for the day should be 10,000 steps or 5 miles
  • Fitburd
    Fitburd Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I use run keeper on my phone to measure distance, time and it tells me calories too :) best thing is it's free, then I just enter the calories that tells me into my exercise log here
  • johned63
    johned63 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    If you can set your stride with the pedometer then you can get a close approximation of how many steps it takes you to get a mile. My wife takes 2200 steps to reach a mile, I take 1900 steps to reach a mile. (I think our little pom takes about 7,000 to reach a mile lol )

There is a general formula for calculating casual walking and for calculating brisk walking found here:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/241650-calculate-walking-calories-by-distance/

However if you know your miles walked you can enter it here in the exercise log and it will do the calculations for you.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I check how many miles/kilometers I have walked by checking the route in Google Maps (directions).
    Then I just calculate how many miles per hour I walked and fill the amount of minutes in on MFP.
  • seamatt
    seamatt Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    If you have a smartphone try Endomondo. It uses GPS to track your walks, and gives you times and elevation etc, as well as calories. I have been using it for a while and think it's ace............best bit, it's free :)
  • waterhaunted
    waterhaunted Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I like to walk and when I use my heart monitor that gives me time in my zone and calories burned MFP is very close when I list how long and the speed I have walked. I know the miles I walk and track the time which gives me MPH.