IIFYM - Is anybody doing it?

Options
So who is doing 'If It Fits Your Macros'? I would like to try it and was hoping for advice or experiences from other MFPlers.
I already calculated my macros and stuff and read quite a lot of discussions about it. I was especially wondering where to get all those proteins from. Usually I eat about 60-70g protein, should I try and fill up the rest with shakes?
Thanks already for answers! :)

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Yes, and I will also add that many people do it without realizing it, but that's largely due to it being the most misunderstood and bastardized idea out there.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    So who is doing 'If It Fits Your Macros'? I would like to try it and was hoping for advice or experiences from other MFPlers.
    I already calculated my macros and stuff and read quite a lot of discussions about it. I was especially wondering where to get all those proteins from. Usually I eat about 60-70g protein, should I try and fill up the rest with shakes?
    Thanks already for answers! :)

Post your stats and macros if you'd like specific feedback.

As far as protein source, that's largely personal preference but I'd recommend whole foods when possible for satiety.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Isn't everyone doing it? :wink:
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I do.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Yes, and I will also add that many people do it without realizing it, but that's largely due to it being the most misunderstood and bastardized idea out there.

^^

YUP :D
  • steve1686
    steve1686 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    IIFYM follower checking in
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I eat cheezburgers on the reg.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Something I wrote on another thread about how IIFYM works for me...

"IIFYM" isn't the same as "It doesn't matter what you eat."

If you're hitting your macros, especially if they're not the default MFP macros, you're eating pretty darn good. You're getting the right balance of macronutrients. It's in the name.

You're not going to hit your macros eating nothing but Twinkies.

The macros on the frozen pizza I have at least once a week, is about 60% carbs, 25% fat and 15% protein (which is pretty close to MFP's defaults). That's doesn't fit my overall goals of 50-25-25, so I have to watch what else I eat that day or week to balance it out.

When I get more protein and less carbs in my other meals of the day, the pizza does fit my macros.

If I had a bagel for breakfast and PB&J for lunch, pizza wouldn't fit my macros. So I either say "f it!" and eat it anyway, knowing I'll make up for it in my other meals that week, or I'll have something else for dinner that will better fit my goals.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    This whole IIFIYM thing confuses me. I eat within my macros 95% of the time. Sometimes I eat crap food and don't care IIFIMM but it ends up fitting in my macros anyways (or within the margin I'm fine with). I don't use my macros as some kind of barometer to define the boundaries of acceptable crap eating. Perhaps I don't fully understand the concept?
  • SideSteel
    Options
    This whole IIFIYM thing confuses me. I eat within my macros 95% of the time. Sometimes I eat crap food and don't care IIFIMM but it ends up fitting in my macros anyways (or within the margin I'm fine with). I don't use my macros as some kind of barometer to define the boundaries of acceptable crap eating. Perhaps I don't fully understand the concept?

If your macros are set up reasonably, your capacity for crap eating will be restricted largely by your macro limitations. Common sense still needs to apply as you should limit discretionary calories (<---- and for male bodybuilders this plays a larger role since we tend to have larger windows in terms of available calories/macros).
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    More protein than carbs ends up making my tummy happier than more carbs than protein. That's basically it. I don't worry about anything else.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    It looks like you eat enough protein to me. You don't need extra protein, you just need enough protein.
  • desemmerson
    Options
    does MFP display the macronutrient percentages anywhere?
  • SideSteel
    Options

You can customize your macros to the nearest 5% by going to goals---change coals---custom
  • desemmerson
    Options

You can customize your macros to the nearest 5% by going to goals---change coals---custom

Thanks for that SideSteel :-)
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    I tend to fit the mfp default macros without even trying, I try not to worry too much about it as long as i'm eating a variation of healthy foods with treats it works for me. I do sometimes go under on protein so it makes me more aware of that and I try and up that a little.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I am :D

I really hate the idea that a lot of people have, that IIFYM is just "eating whatever you want" or eating crap all day. With good macros you won't have room to eat a lot of crap. You have to find a balance, which will end up mostly "healthy" foods.

Also there are micros such as fibre which many people pay attention to.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Well, yeah... I track my macros if that's what you mean...
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options

Thanks for that SideSteel :-)

if you have the app you can access a daily pie chart so you know exactly where you are at.

I agree if you have your macros set to a good level, you are pretty restricted in scoffing calorie laden food
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    yup, it's awesome.
    and I will also add that many people do it without realizing it, but that's largely due to it being the most misunderstood and bastardized idea out there.

also this.