Struggling to run. a d v i c e

Options

Replies

• Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Check out the Couch 2 5k program. I started with this program a ittle over 1 year ago and have since ran 2 half marathons and one 5k. It is an awesome program. Running is so mental....if you condition your body to running using a program like the C25k..you can reason in your mind that your ready for the next stage and your body will then follow! Good luck!
  • mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    There are groups on mfp for c25k. Come on over and join us. Lots of support, ideas, and supprt. I just started it a few weeks ago. Never been a runner. I do agree with the advice to slow your pace. I have done that and it helped. You don't need to be fast. That can come later. Good Luck !
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I TOTALLY hear you. I have never been able to run and decided I wanted to. It felt really hard for me, too.

While I think some people are natural-born runners, I am now convinced that anyone can learn to run, because I did. I'm still running a really slow pace, but I can run several miles without stopping, and my pace is very slowly improving.

I didn't do C25K, but I have a lot of friends who did, and they really liked it.

I just started out at a really REALLY slow pace. Like, it felt like I was running slower than I could walk. But as my cardiovascular fitness improved, I've been able to slowly speed up. From my understanding, most beginning runners start out too fast for what they are able. What you think is a reasonable pace may not be what you are capable of. So slow down, and yeah, check out C25K as well, that may interest you, too.

Good luck!
  • marketdimlylit
    marketdimlylit Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone, really appreciated!

So with this C25k program, is it only able to be downloaded on your phone or?
    Sounds really impressive!

And I haven't gone straight into running, I've been trying to keep up with the interval running for around 2-3 months now, all at the same speed. But like I said nothing seems to be improving.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Are you doing sprint intervals or just slow jogging for a minute..walking, and then running ..?

If you mix in some circuit training you should start to drop some weight....when I was losing weight I did circuit training all the time, it really melted off my excess weight
  • marketdimlylit
    Options
    I'm walking at quite a fast pace, then I pick it up to running for a minute. x
  • a_new_dawn
    a_new_dawn Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a smart phone or iPod you can view the C25K plan here: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml?cmp=18-1
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    is this your first experience with running?

when i first started running..i would jog until I could not and then walk and then job and then walk ..eventually i could run the whole track that I had laid out for myself....If you want to run distance then you need to slowly push your range out. I would not worry so much about speed at first, as I would endurance....

have you ever thought about doing sprint intervals? I discovered them a few years back and that is my main source of cardio now..

Pick out a spot about thirty yards in distance. Sprint all out for thirty seconds, and then rest for 60 seconds...repeat same interval 6 to ten times. You will find that this will really increase your endurance and melt off the weight...warning it is pretty freaking brutal! :)

Let me know what you think ...
  • mwalley
    mwalley Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I can't run on treadmills but don't have a problem outdoors. Try taking it outdoors. It worked for me.
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    The C25K podcasts are on the NHS's website, here: http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx You can download them to your phone/mp3 player and then just press play without having to worry about a watch for timings.

I'm going to echo C25K, I started myself barely even being able to run a minute, and now I happily run for over an hour at a time. Fantastic program.
  • AlessisMore
    AlessisMore Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    My advice is the opposite - if you slow down you will be able to run much further without feeling like you are going to die.
    In my opinion, endurance needs to come before speed. Going out hard and fast is just asking for an injury.

^^^ this. A lot of beginning runners make the mistake of trying to run too fast. Slow it wayyyyyy down. Speed will come naturally once you've gotten more used to the mechanism of running
  • McSteve67
    McSteve67 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You might want to try the Couch to 5K program - it trains you up from intervals similar to what you're doing. You'd be surprised what you're body is capable if you push just a little more each week.

I completely agree - start the program and you'll be running longer distances in no time. Worked for me!!!
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    The run for a Cure has a FREE C25K application for iphone, also RunKeeper has training programs that are free OR..you can set one up yourself...also a free application =)
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I know I use to hate having to run the mile in school. I absolutely hated it, granted I was much heavier than I am now. When I started jogging I was twice your weight. I started by picking landmarks in my neighborhood. I loathe running on treadmills. The key is don't pay attention to your speed at first just get the motion down. Move your arms and legs at a speed that you can maintain for say 10 mins, even if it just seems like a fast walk, just make sure your arms and legs are pumping. Speed will come with time. Now I can run 7 to 8 miles and more than an hour without stopping, working my way up to a half marathon.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    It is your endurance. I am 188 lbs and I can run 5K. Do C25K like recommended.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)

I will definitely look into that C5K program.

And when I say run I don't go as fast as I can I'm going at a fairly reasonable speed,
    but yeah it's my legs not my lungs - I really do feel as though my lower body/ my legs feel like a ton of bricks.
    :grumble:

What is a reasonable speed? I did the C25K plan to build up to 5K, which was great, but I was going too fast at first. I was trying to run at 5.5 mph on the treadmill and walking at 4.5 mph and struggling to progress through the program. I thought that was a reasonable speed because that is by no means going to win you a 5K. What got me there was dropping my run speed to 5.0 and the walk to 4.0 mph. It doesn't seem like a huge difference, that 0.5 mph, but it made a huge difference in how long I could last in the running intervals and in the total time I could do running + walking.
  • marketdimlylit
    Options
    I have been walking at 4.5 on the treadmil, then running at around 8.4-5.

So i haven't got some fancy phone, just a crappy old nokia that calls and texts lol.
    Is this what I'd have to do?
    http://www.c25k.com/c25k_treadmill.html
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

So i haven't got some fancy phone, just a crappy old nokia that calls and texts lol.

You are walking faster than I run. Have you tried to slow down and see if you can sustain your run for longer?
  • marketdimlylit
    Options

You are walking faster than I run. Have you tried to slow down and see if you can sustain your run for longer?

Well, I think it's MPH on the treadmil I use at the gym. Which would be 4.5 :/
    It seems the slower I run, or even jog the harder it is in a way.
    I was told to stop jogging because it kept giving me stitches, and it's more 'heavy' if you get what I mean.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

Try running at a ten minute mile and see how that goes. If that's still too fast, try an 11 minute mile. Basically, you need to slow down enough that you can complete the "run" segments.