Protein shake that taste good but not too pricy???

Options
2»

Replies

• paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I just picked up my first (huge) container of body fortress super advanced whey protein vanilla powder. It was about $20 at cvs pharmacy.

I used a small frozen banana, about 4 "chunks" of pineapple, 1 scoop of the powder and 1/2 cup of almond milk.
    Wow...it tasted like a milkshake. I was pleased with it. The whole concoction came to about 300 calories. (I used the recipe builder here)

Edited for protein content. 28 grams!
  • shaspain
    Options
    I went the cheap route and got the Chocolate Body Fortress Whey from Walmart. I throw a cup of Walmart frozen fruit (mango, pineapple, strawberries), a cup of skim milk, and a scoop of powder in the blender for 30 seconds when I get home from the gym and I think it tastes great!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Myprotein.com is very good. Their sweet flavours can be a little too sweet for some, but vanilla is perfect. I like the toffee - most people don't :P
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I loved Syntha-6 but the price kept going up up up so I switched to Ultimate Nutrition's Protein Isolate. With the monthly subscription deal through Amazon.com, it costs only about half of what the Syntha-6 was. I put two scoops (about 40g protein) in the blender with a frozen banana and some frozen strawberries, blueberries and enough water to let it work. Yummy and really does taste and feel like a milkshake.
  • stacyhall79
    Options
    I love the CalNaturale Svelte line of protein drinks...soy based. 16g of protein and absolutely delicious
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Do you want a post workout shake or a meal replacement shake? I hate to say it but you get what you pay for. If you go for the cheaper stuff you're getting artificial color and flavor so you may as well have chocolate milk as a post workout drink if you're gonna put the crap in your body. And a stand alone protein shake does not replace a meal.

Whatever you decide, read your labels and decide what you're comfortable with..
  • squirrelythegreat
    squirrelythegreat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I use Muscle Milk - Chocolate. Got a 4 lb tub from Costco for $36 I think it was. $32 with a coupon that one time.
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    And stay away from Muscletech Chocolate. I got it at Sam's Club because I'm awfully frugal, but despite the fact that the package says "Improved Flavor" (that should have been my first hint, it's not very good at all. I doctor it up so it's not too bad hidden , but just with water? Not so good.
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    So far this is the best tasting, and the cheapest i've used. It also mixes well with just a spoon IMO.

E1-02314-B300.gif
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I make my own.
    1 banana
    3/4 cup yogurt
    1/4 cup juice, apple or orange
    1/2 cup frozen strawberries or other fruit
    1 TBS Protein mix
    1 TBS Cacao
    Any other additives you want
    Blend and drink.
    :smile:
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey - Any flavour (choc mint and double rich choc are my faves!)

£40 for a 5lb tub. I don't know where you're from, but that's around $60 roughly - I think bodybuilding.com ships for free to the USA and they have good prices. Only reason I don't buy from there is with the cost of shipping to the UK it doesn't work out any cheaper for me than where I already buy it from.

It's a really nice brand, mixes well (even with just water and a fork) and low calorie (110-130 per scoop) with 24g of protein! :D I've been a fan for almost 2 years now roughly.
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Best bet is to shop around a lot. Protein powders had a huge price jump in the spring. Myofusion which is what I use jumped over$10 for a 5# jug. Checks out tons of review sites too. Some are cheap but taste awful. You can fix the taste of them by using milk or peanut butter. Also, adding ice to make it thicker seems to help

I was planning on getting Myofusion, people say it tastes awesome but then I heard that myofusion has half of protein that it claims to have. So I am scared. Have you ever heard such a thing?
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I love the CalNaturale Svelte line of protein drinks...soy based. 16g of protein and absolutely delicious

Stay away from regular soy protein consumption!

http://foodforbreastcancer.com/news/soy-protein-may-heighten-risk-of-breast-cancer-by-influencing-cell-signaling
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I just paid $36.95 per 4lb tub of Designer Whey Protein powder. I purchased one french-vanilla, and one in chocolate. I use unsweetened Almond milk and the chocolate makes it taste like freakin' CHOCOLATE MILK... OMG its so good!

Ill also take the french-vanilla and blend it with frozen berries for a frozen treat! Soooo good!
    you got lucky on this one. For most people, Designer Whey causes nasty gas that clears out rooms.

Fortunately for me, it has no effect on my gastroenterologically speaking. I eat a 100% clean intake and definitely a water whooore so I believe that really does make a difference! 8-)
  • mammakisses
    mammakisses Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    So today I mixed my powder into 200ml of chilled coffee and added 1/4 cup of fat free greek yogurt. It ended up tasting pretty good. I think that how I'll make it from now on because it's simple for on the go. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
  • MrsNelson0904
    MrsNelson0904 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I really like Ultramet Original Chocolate. I don't have to add anything to it to make it taste good and when you want to make a meal out of it adding strawberries, a banana or peanut butter makes it taste like you're drinking a milk shake! We got 60 packets for about $120 on the internet. The sugar is low and there are 40g protien. I split mine in half because I don't need all that protien in one sitting.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I personally think Chocolate UMP by Beverly International is the best and priced right too. Look at DPSnutritent.com. I think i just paid $32.99