My First 5K

Options
Well, there's one more thing I can mark off my bucket list - my first 5k run. Well, actually it was more of a 5k jog. I guess if you want to get technical it was a 5k jog / walk / jog-a-little-more / walk-a-little-more. But in any case I finished it, and in an amazing 41 minutes and 7 seconds! Isn't that some kind of record? I'll have to check.

I thought I was going to be embarassed because I was the only one there who could not run the whole race, but I wasn't. There were other people out there walking too, and it wasn't embarassing at all. It was actually quite fun. And it was for a good cause. Our local Anytime Fitness Club sponsored the event to raise funds for Project Backpack (school supplies for underprivileged children.)

I have always admired those people you see running down the side of the road, looking all trendy in their running gear. But I never had the gumption to get up off the couch and try it myself, plus I don't think they make spandex running shorts big enough to fit me. Today was a milestone. Granted, it wasn't the Boston Marathon, and I didn't set any land speed records. But I completed it - and so did my wife and teenage son. Now we have a benchmark to compare ourselves to....at our NEXT 5k. I'm actually looking forward to it!

Replies

• CopperGalaxy
    CopperGalaxy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Well done, congratulations! Must have been all the more fun doing it as a family aswell :-)
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! I remember my first 5K even though it was over 30 years ago. It's a milestone for sure.

Just keep up the good work and keep going!
  • lisitabonita
    lisitabonita Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Awesome NSV!!!!
  • angela_fitness
    angela_fitness Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Great job! Very inspiring! It is so great that you are doing it with your son too :smile:
  • smalleyez06
    smalleyez06 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!! I can't wait to do my first 5K. I am doing the C25K and really want to do one but I want to beable to jog the entire thing. I am sure my first one will be just like yours though...jog...walk..jog a lil more and walk a lil more.

I am pretty sure 41min 7 seconds is a record some where and one you will beat and set a new one. Great job!!
  • cleanandlean2012
    cleanandlean2012 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your post. I am doing a 10k in four weeks and I keep worrying about being last!! Your post helped a lot!
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Great job and a terrific NSV! The community feeling of runners is empowering! They don't care if you're an elite or a clogger! Just do it!
    I'm sure since you've been bitten, there will be more 5K's to come! BTW...great PR! :flowerforyou:
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    good my friend . . . good job!
  • dela1000
    Options
    Completion is the only goal. Congrats!
  • msteresao
    msteresao Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Good for you, Great job!!!!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the club! You are now a runner :bigsmile:
  • chubtofit
    chubtofit Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your 1st and probably not your last 5k. That's an excellent time for your 1st 5k. I have mine coming up in 3 weeks and I'm still suffering with some achilles tendon issues (new shoes) - haven't been able to get past 3k so mine will probably be like yours - some "jogging"/walking.
  • lldem
    lldem Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I'm always pleased to read another runners post about their first 5k - mine is coming up in a couple of months - And yes you are runner. I run / walk too; I try to do 10 & 1. Sometimes I do better or worse too. Good Luck at your next run!
  • mayberry310
    mayberry310 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I too had my first 5K today and just posted about it over the in the fitness section. We could have been running/walking buddys. I came in at 40.13... my goal was to get in under 45min so I considered it a major success. Good for you!! Are you still on a high, because I sure as heck am. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!