Is my heart rate normal?

Options
I recently started using a heart rate monitor and found the results to be very extreme...

I went a 40 minute run/walk and done a mixture of running and walking.

According to the heart rate monitor - before I even started exercise I was up at around 110-120 and then once I had started running I checked and it displayed 170-180bpm. After the 40 minutes, I stopped the HRM and it crazily told me I had burned 780 calories which is absolutely absurd to me! I have a healthy BMI and weigh around 140 pounds at 5'8 and find that a very weird amount of calories for basically 20 minutes running + 20 minutes walking combined..

Judging from reading other peoples HRM posts on here, I'm a bit worried as this seems like a very high amount? Is my HRM broken or?

It cost me £40 so I thought it would be a good one!!1

Replies

• AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    that is not normal. does your HRM have a chest strap? did you program the hrm for your weight, sex, etc?
  • NatashaAlexandra
    NatashaAlexandra Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    that is not normal. does your HRM have a chest strap? did you program the hrm for your weight, sex, etc?

Yes I programmed it, and I use the chest strap and tighten it properly which is why I am so confused!!
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Make sure you program it, and also take your pulse manually to double check it.
  • take your HR manually and compare to the gadget. Prior to exercise it should be in double digits not triple.
  • sionnain
    Options
    Make sure you wet the HRM before you put it on your chest. If it's not wet it won't read properly. And yes, program it!
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    It may be normal, the younger you are the higher your heart rate. Also the bigger your heart is, the higher the heart rate. I see your 19, I'm 36 and mine is 155 to 165 during exercise so it wouldn't be unheard of for yours to be 170 to 180. I would put your HRM on, start it, and relax on the couch for 20 minutes. What is your HR then, it should be double digits, the lower the number the more fit you are.
  • EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Are you already in shape? Have you been exercising for a long time, or did you just recently start? If you are out of shape your HR could be pretty high. I'm 5'6" 125 lbs (healthy BMI) and my resting HR is about 112. This is because I have been very sedentary for a long time.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Sounds far too high - check manually or try another HRM to see if it's accurate or even in the ball-park.
    If it is accurate, next run should be to the Doctor....
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, but my HRM gives me readings around 190 during an intense cardio session. That being said, I know when it is that high because I feel like throwing up, but I recover quite quickly. At a brisk walk I don't think 120 is that weird, your calorie burn sounds high though.

Just for reference I am 33 and have a resting heart rate about 60 (48 before getting out of bed).
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    These readings are high, it can't be true. If it's new then return it. If it's old you can check the following:
    1. battery - maybe it's old.
    2. interference - some electronics or high power lines close by.
    3. reset needed - you need to reset the watch or the strap, google the model name and "how to reset".
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    No way anyone can tell you for sure but it sounds like a pretty unnaturally high heart rate. 170-180 should be close to maximum effort and if you maintained max effort for 40 mins I could see a huge burn like that. However, given that your resting rate was 110-120, that's pretty extreme on the high end. When I first start out, mine usually reads 60-70 tops. 110-120 is more of a spirited walking pace and all out puts me around 180 which is heart-pounding-out-of-chest high.