Interesting question regarding either losing a lot of weight

Options
I am curious about something. I have a significant amoun to lose (180lbs) and I want to ask any of you that have lost a large amount of weight 70+lbs or are at your goal weight and you lost a lot of weight: How did you respond to people who knew you before when you were larger and knew you after you lost the weight and they appeared to treat you better? Maybe some clerk at a store you frequented, a family member or a co-worker. I know this happens to people and as I imagine what my life will be like WHEN, not if, I lose my weight, I think that scenario would anger me. Make me want to call that person to task for being shallow. Did this happen to any of you? I'd like to hear some feedback about this.

Replies

• cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I will tell you from the opposite end of being at my goal weight and then gaining weight. Now I'm getting back down to my goal weight. Yes, people treated me differently after I gained weight. Guys treated me differently and strangers treated me differently. It seemed to be okay for others to all of a sudden comment on my choices whether I was working out or not and what I was eating and how much. My friends and family were helpful and supported me no matter what. When I was at my goal weight no one ever bothered to look at what I was eating or if I was working out. No one tried to offer their two cents about my life and how I should live it. Harsh reality. Not all people are rude or make efforts to show how shallow they are, but they are out there. The best thing to do is focus on your goals and not take anything extra from outsiders to heart.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I think that the difference in how people respond to me now is not because I am smaller. I am happier and more self-confident now which makes me a more approachable person. I don't think many people actually treat me differently because I've lost weight.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I think that the difference in how people respond to me now is not because I am smaller. I am happier and more self-confident now which makes me a more approachable person. I don't think many people actually treat me differently because I've lost weight.

This
  • lavitaloca
    Options
    I am and have always been an extremely self-confident, happy, vibrant person no matter how big I am but I still get treated noticeably different. Not that I give a ****. I'm going to live my life, so help me God, but this is something that I ponder.
  • Leeannboswell
    Options
    Dear Lavitaloca: There is an archive of a thread about this which was helpful to me. Several months ago, probably. Maybe you can still find it here on the MFP site. Some of the stuff people say is, well, just amazing!!!

You will always be taken aback by the comments unthinking people will say to or about you. Even looks you get, could kill, as they say. But, in the end, the people you care about will be on your side and if you are a happy, vibrant person this will come out even more. As you lose your inner weight of food addiction and unhealthy lifestyle, and your outer weight melts away, the real you will emerge. You are already changed from the first day you make the commitment to do what it takes to heal yourself.

You may find it helpful to practice forgiveness, tolerance, love and understanding. Most people don't probably try to be mean, and you just have to turn the other cheek, continue on your fitness journey and get there in spite of comments from others.

Take care, and all the best to you. LeeAnn
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I lost 145 pounds and nobody ever really said a thing. I got a few compliments from teachers that I hadn't seen in years, but my friends, family, peers, etc. never said a word. They pretended like it never happened.

Sometimes I'm grateful for that, but other times it's really disappointing.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!