First 5k Run

Options
I ran my first 5k this morning. I've been doing the C25K app and was nervous since I'm only in week 6. My goal was to complete the 5K in 45 minutes or under. I came in at 40.13. Wicked happy about that!

I just want to say, if anyone out there is wondering whether or not you can run. I will gladly tell you that yes, yes you can. 6 weeks ago I could not run for 60 seconds without feeling like I was going to die. I ran a mile and a half without stopping today, took a little breather and picked right back up.

By the by.... I'm hooked. I went ahead and signed up for another 5k in two weeks and one in October. High Five to all of you here, who I now refer to as My Fitness Peeps, I couldn't have done this nor had the confidence to just get out there and do it without this site.

Replies

• perpetual98
    Options
    Nice work! I'm over 20 years removed from the track team in high school and 100+ pounds heavier and I'm shooting to get into some 5k's next spring. Right now I have trouble running more than a block or two, but I've been taking it easy so I don't get an injury.

Keep up the good work!
  • fredf2112
    fredf2112 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Great Job!

It's inspirational posts like these that push me closer and closer to C25K, thank you for sharing.
  • fitontherun
    fitontherun Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Thank you for the inspirational post!
  • Corsetopia
    Corsetopia Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    My first 5k was so much fun! I have a ton of weight to lose and am not an avid runner, so I was expecting it to take an hour at least. I think the other people out there push you to do better because I came in at 39 minutes. I was blown away and I'll definitely be signing up for another one!
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Well done a fantastic NSV
  • lostemt
    lostemt Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    congrats that is so cool. I am going to my next 5k when I reach my goal weight so until then sticking to 1 mile runs. Can't say congrats enough and keep up the great work. I start picking up running slowly did my first mile run in March of this past year and planning on my next one in Jan 2013. Have bad knees so slowly working on it. Also got to get to a sneaker store and talk with them on some good sneaker for my running style. Just keep up the great work.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    WOOHOOO! Another runner :bigsmile: Welcome to the club!
  • wcrathbun
    wcrathbun Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Good for you! So inspiring!
  • Culley34
    Options
    Sounds like someone got the racing bug :-)
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Be sure to register for the next one!
  • back_to_18
    Options
    Another recommendation for C25K here.

I did the UK NHS one and can highly recommend it.

When I started I hadn't run since school days.

I graduated C25K about 2 or 3 weeks ago and, whilst not the speediest bloke on the block, I've been doing 5K in around 28 minutes - an achievemennt I couldn't have guessed at a few weeks ago.

If you're thinking of doing C25K take a look at http://couchto5k.healthunlocked.com/ - it's a UK forum run by NHS Choices and is nice and friendly and supportive like this site.

3625461.png
  • Masq
    Masq Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Finishing a race with a time better than you thought = FANTASTIC! :flowerforyou:

I just set a personal best for 10K today and I'm beaming. It wasn't a race, just went out and did some intervals. Walk 2 min / Run 1 min - It's a lot of fun!

Keep up the good work!
  • 2S_1R
    2S_1R Posts: 171
    Options
    Awesome! I did my first 5k on Christmas day of 2010, and since then have done 2 other 5k's and a 10k. I can tell you, that it is seriously the best experience. ESPECIALLY when you see people looking at you like "what is she doing in the gym", you proceed to get on a treadmill and run longer than they do! :)
  • tbird4evr
    Options
    Outstanding! I will be running my FIRST 5K on October 14! I'm excited and nervous at the same time. You are my inspiration!
  • rachelerwin
    rachelerwin Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! Congratulations! I did my first 5k as well today. I finished in 48 minutes 35 seconds. I know that is not that fast, but my goal was to come in under an hour. This time last year I was over 300 pounds. Now I am down 86 pounds. I can't wait to do my next 5k.
  • laureltn
    laureltn Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hurray for you! Glad you enjoyed it enough to sign up for another one. It is addicting in a good kind of way.
  • JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I am an avid runner and understand how hard it can be to start . 5K's can also be very intimidating and scary if you dont know what to expect I highly encourage that you keep signing up for them as it gives you a goal to work on. Good Luck and let me know if you need any advice or encoursagement as you continue on your journey.
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Awesome!

Now to beat that time!

In general you are fit if you can do 5km in under 25m as a rule of thumb by fitness books....

Try harder next time, in fact in a few months look towards a 10km rather than a 5km...

Trust me, you will push your mileage up each week because of the extra distance, will get better and once you have run the 10km, a 5km will REALLY seem like how the organisers say it is and be a fun run for you :D

Anyway, keep going, glad you enjoy :)

Hope to one day see you at marathon or ultra distance :) you CAN get there! I know it is possible!
  • HorganMom3
    HorganMom3 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    AMEN GIRL! and CONGRATS!!

I ran my first 5K today as well!! It didn't look so in your photo, but any chance you were running in the Spay the Stray? Spay the Stray is what I ran for this morning so I'm just curious... would be cool to hear a fellow MFP-er was there :)

It is hard as crap running!! Especially when you've never really done it before and when your just starting out, but it is unbelievable how well and fast your body prepares itself and helps push you though moments like these!! My biggest demon during my race was my own mind. You did wonderfully!!
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!! When I ran my first one in June, I came in at 43:03. I am running two this month (they will be #4 and #5 for this year) and am hoping that I can beat my time, and I'm hoping that next year to do a 10k.

Anyways, it is hard to run, but keep pushing, and you will achieve a lot then what you will ever know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!