Anyone else relate?

Options
LaurySch
LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
I have had a ton of NSV's and the scale has definitely been kind to me over the last few months, so why is it that I have such a hard time with this?

The clothes in my closet range from size 14 to size 18 and I think I even had a few items larger than that. My problem is that about a month ago I realized that I needed to buy new jeans in size 12. What? I don't remember EVER in my adult life even looking at clothes that small! And yesterday (because I wanted to wear dress clothes instead of my usual medical clinic scrubs) I could not find a single pair of nice slacks in my closet that did not make me look like I was melting away I tried on a pair of size 10 dress pants. :noway: Now, they were still a bit too small, but the fact is that with only 5 or 10 more pounds I will be officially a size 10.

I can't understand it and it's driving me nuts that I can't accept it! Am I just that crazy or is it natural to spend that much time convincing yourself that it is OK to buy the size smaller?

Replies

• LCunkle83
    Options
    I can relate girl. I went from a womans 16 and now I am in a juniors 11/12... I cant believe it... and I refuse to go shopping... I just continue to wear old clothes and wear what people have given me.... Its crazy that our minds cannot accept the fact that our bodies are changing.... FOR THE GOOD...
  • ldholcombe
    ldholcombe Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You should be really proud of your self! Except it with pride. You should have the worlds biggest smile on your face.
  • angimac
    angimac Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I was a size 26-28 at my largest.
    I am now in a size 10.

My mind still makes me think I need to be in the plus size women's department. When I pick up what I actually fit into, my brain can't compute and the voice in my head says "no way that fits your fat *kitten*"

But it does fit, comfortably...

Everyone knows that the physical part of this journey is hard... but the mental/emotional part is hard too
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I can relate, I went from a size 24 to a 12 in 8 months. at one point, i actually had to be told to GTFO of the plus size section, because I couldn't figure out why nothing looked good on me. I was having a bit of an identity crisis and decided until I could wrap my mind around it, I needed to go into maintenance mode. so i did that for the summer, and now ready to get a little smaller. 18 pounds to my goal.
  • Danika6676
    Danika6676 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Have you ever watched the show How To Look Good Naked?? If not I highly recommend watching. The host is so wonderful at explaining how as women we see our body image as bigger than we actually are. Mostly caused by the models of today a poor self image is created at a young age, yet statisticly there are more women with tummys out there than women without them, and 90% of women have stretch marks. He teaches how to love your body as it is. When I have a day that I am not beleiving that I have nice legs or my belly isn't flat enough I watch that show...it is a great way to learn about self image. Give it a try!
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Whew! Glad it's not just me! :wink:

And I do remember seeing How to Look Good Naked, I didn't know it was still on!

It's funny that even as I was gaining the weight I was still able to tell myself that I was okay with how I looked, not obsessed either way, and now that I really CAN appreciate my body I feel uncomfortable! All part of the journey I guess!

Thanks for the encouragement!
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing today!!! I have things I wear around the house that are completely falling off and I wash them and wear them again!!! LOL WHY???? I have no idea. I'm happy to have this problem though. Congrats on your loss so far!
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I had the opposite effect. When I was a size 3 and started gaining weight I kept moving up to my "pregnancy" pants which were just sizes bigger because I didn't like maternity clothes. Once I started getting too chubby for those I started wearing stretchy PJ pants (my BIGGEST mistake ever) but I refused to buy bigger jeans/dress pants. Eventually I did its just the change is startling. Some times its hard to imagine where you're at. Sometimes it just takes time to get used to it. Everyone handles weight loss/weight gain in their own way. Once you're comfortable you can move on.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    I get you completely with this one!!!

I have bags of clothes in the bottom of the wardrobe, I have sold a lot of stuff on Ebay, cos they were never worn in the `dropping size` thing.

I have gone from UK size 18 jeans to size 10, but I keep my 12-14 just in case lol!

But when I shop for clothes I am really wary thinking that I should get a couple of sizes bigger in case they don`t fit!
  • IronTitaness
    Options
    I can defo relate. I am asking everybody around me... ' Do you see that I lost weight?'... Like just for them to convince me that I really lost weight?

I am not buying new clothes now because it would be a waste of time and money. I still have so much to lose. But all my clothes are seriously too large. My pants are like diapers. Even my shoes are getting too large :(

And people still have to convince me that I lost weight?

Weird....
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Stop reading my mind.
    Just this week i noticed that my "skinny" trousers are falling off me.
    I checked the label ( size 14)
    So technically i should go to a 12.
    But thats where all the nice skinny girl clothes are and i just think i'm ready for that. ( i' usually an 18).
    Think i 'll just cinch my belt a bit tighter, and keep wearing massive clothes.

Ctually i'm not ready to try on a 12, i think when i go shopping i'll grab the 14 and the 12 to try them bo th on.
  • honey_bee_keysha
    honey_bee_keysha Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I can relate. It took the longest time for my mind to get used to the idea that I am much smaller and huge clothes are no longer needed. And I still find myself getting clothes a size bigger "just in case"
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I can relate.
    I have been making due with a belt, and everything being too big on me now.
    For the first time since I began losing weight in March, I went shopping for clothes last Sunday, and immediately went to the plus size department. I have not tried anything at the store in decades. I did have enough sense to try things on this time, and yes, they were too big. I have finally moved down to regular size clothing. It is very hard to wrapy my mind around it. This morning, I was running errands and while at Target, I saw a shirt in the regular size clothes that I really liked, but I said to myself, that is too small for me. Even though I wore one of tops that is the same size that I bought last weekend, to work yesterday. I am just not able to comprehend what I am accomplishing.
  • Leeannboswell
    Options
    90 Lbs since March? Kreike, that's twice as much as me. How in the heck did you do it?
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm down to a size 8/9 now - my lightest before this was an 11 and my heaviest was a 22-24. I look at the waistline and think "that's not gonna fit" and pick up a 10/11 which is too big and I have to go back to the 8/9. :laugh:
  • juicygurl1
    juicygurl1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    i am going to be head over heels once i am back into a size 6! So far i am a 10, down from a 14. All those big clothes are stacking up in the donations pile, including some of my reliable fat pants. Congratulations on your size reduction!
  • 2S_1R
    2S_1R Posts: 171
    Options
    Be proud of yourself and own the fact you did work that helped you.

I have yet to hit any of my weight loss goals, and I think that's harder to accept, knowing you're doing the hard work and not reaping a benefit.
  • davery1985
    davery1985 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I definately relate to this! after having my daughter i was a size 16, now i have lost 18lb i have been wearing 16s and size 14s. Some of them look stupid as they hang off me, but all i can see is how big i was before. Its mental!!
  • DIYmomma
    DIYmomma Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    This is me! last year i probably needed to be in a size 24 and today I bought a Large shirt, never even when I was a teen did i wear a large, every time I put my clothes on i dont believe it, Im still well over 200 lbs as well so its mind blowing to me .
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Leeannboswell, I am keeping my calories slightly under 1200/day. I walk everyday with light weights and log in everything I eat.
    I was losing 5 pounds per week in the beginning, but, consistantly 2-3 pounds per week. I do not have cheat days, ever. I drink only water, with a diet pop once in a while, maybe 2 per month. Once a month I will have a 6" Subway veggie delight with no cheese, but otherwise, I don't eat out. I try to stick to fresh fruits and vegetables (or frozen), fresh lean meats, very little bread, raw walnuts and almonds, steel cut oats, and I avoid as much processed food as I can, but it is kind of hard to avoid everything processed.
    I am at the point in my life where I can no longer tell myself I will start over again tomorrow, so I am just continuing on the path I have been on for the past 6 months. I still have a pretty long way to go, but I will make it.

This site is a life saver for me. MFP is teaching this old dog a few new tricks......who knew? I am very, very grateful to MFP and to a lot of folks here who probably do not realize how they are giving the inspiration to keep on the path to success.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!