Need something to measure running distance

Options
I've entered a 10k which is on the October 6th, only 4 weeks away. :O

I've not been on the roads yet and I need something to measure distances, I have a cheap HRM that I use to record calories but now need something better or additional. Is a better HRM the answer? I don't want to use a phone app as I sweat a lot and have already broke my Nano. :frown:

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You need a Garmin GPS running watch. They price from just over $100 up to around $400 depending on the model.

My Nano also died from running with it.
  • jenniferstanton
    jenniferstanton Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Before I got my phone app, I got in my car and went by my odometer. Old school but it works.
  • LayneMorris
    Options
    I use Google earth to map out my runs and get a measurement. It isn't perfect, but it is about as good as a GPS.
  • kateowp
    kateowp Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    mapmyrun.com is free!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Polar FT60 with GPS pod... it's an HRM plus has a GPS function.

Or get Endomondo app on your phone, and stick your phone inside an armband that you wear.

I use Endomondo and I hold on to my phone while running.. so far I haven't had an issues with it.
  • cerul
    cerul Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin watch 205 and the NIke Plus Sports Watch.
    Either one will do the job for you.
  • navywife5810
    navywife5810 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've been using flotrack.org when I measure my walks/runs for the past 5.5 years.
  • Katieladie40
    Options
    I use a wahoo, it works for Iphone's if you have one. You can buy a case for it and a running meter and a hrm strap. Also you can get a polar gps for running. Suggestion: Check amazon.
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    mapmyrun.com allows you to map out your run before you go so you know exactlywhere and how far you are going to run. It gets tricky when running on a trail or on a long stretch with no mappable landmarks (cross streets) to know when to turn around. I try to always map a somewhat circular route so that I don't have to know when to turn around - I just keep going forward.

I eventually invested in a Garmin Forerunner. It's totally worth it if you plan to do a lot of running because it not only tells you how far you've gone but also your pace and your heart rate. In the beginning, however, mapmyrun worked perfectly well.

Good luck with your race!
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Since your nano broke, you could get the newer nano. It's small and can clip on your shirt hem. It's not 100% accurate, but is usually within 1/10 of a mile/ mile. It's essentially a pedometer, but you can calibrate to your running stride. The only time I really noticed a problem was on the really long runs (8+ miles) while I was training.

If money is no issue, go with the Garmin.
  • aftergypsies
    aftergypsies Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I also use mapmyrun.com. It's free and very nice.
  • eecruzmd
    eecruzmd Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I use an App on my phone Cardio Trainer it tracks like a GPS and I put it on my arm band pocket to prevent it from getting wet from sweat
  • Princessmoe333
    Princessmoe333 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    MAPMYRUN!!!!
  • fat2fitdancody
    fat2fitdancody Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    nkyjennifer, the Nano was the one with the pedometer it broke due to getting sweat in after I clipped it to my shirt. :sad:

I'm thinking of the Garmin Forerunner 110 GPS Watch with Heart Rate Monitor, reviews seem pretty good.
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Map a route using runkeeper.com

it's free...
  • DocCollins_SFA
    Options
    I use the runkeeper app on my phone. I uses gps to track my run and even shows elevation and also talks to me every half mile or say during my run to update me on my progress, my time and average page. It also tracks my approximate calories burned and sync with the website where I can track goals and sign up for race events. It's really pretty cool and can be used for other physical activities other than running, like cycling and kayaking.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    smartphone?

mapmyrun
    runkeeper
    nike+ with gps there are a ton of free apps that will track for you

my heart rate monitor is on my phone too and it has gps ability, and if all else fails go old school and get in the car and odo it!
  • Lisseth03
    Lisseth03 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    i was gonna say phone app, but i saw you brokeyour nano.
    i don't know, i just hold my phone on my hand and use skimble.
  • EdgyMcSterious
    Options
    I've got a Garmin Forerunner GPS watch. It's great. BUT before I got this watch I used this website to manually track my runs: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I use an app on my phone for bridge210k but I map out my route On my computer and enter my time on runkeeper.com. This website will give you a map you can set up and it will give you a pace per mile based on your time. It makes me feel productive by reeling me how many miles I run a month too. :smile: