Need any help I can get!

Options
I am 43, mother of two. My son has moved off and has joined the Army and making his own way in the world. My daughter is in her second year of college. I work full time in a job that requires sitting. I commute to work almost two hours each day. I live in a rural area with excellet opportunities to walk. My husband will walk with me on the days we are home together. (I work evenings and he works days). There are no logical gym opportunities. I have knee problems so I cant do exercises that put a lot of strain on them. I have no idea where to begin but I know where I want to end. Healthy and thinner!

Replies

• kittenbobitten
    kittenbobitten Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Have you tried water aerobics? A MFP member told me about a local place that does water aerobics twice a week, so I am going to try it out next week.
  • dsc32209
    dsc32209 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I do water aerobics 5x a week but if you don't have access to a pool, you might try a recumbent bicycle or other stationary bike.
  • farmwife3815
    farmwife3815 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have some of the same problems. I have an adult tricycle that I love to ride. It's easy on my knees and I can get a lot of exercise. Have you considered biking as opposed to walking? Is there a pool nearby where you could do water walking or water exercise? Both are great for calorie burn and they are fun!! Could you use a stability ball at work to sit on instead of a chair? This will engage your core the entire time you sit on it! Also you can gently bounce and get some exercise that way! There are a lot of things you can do on a stability ball!! I hope this is helpful!!
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I know you said there are no gym opportunities but if there's a Curves nearby I would recommend that just because it's done wonders for me and it's a great environment for all women looking to get healthy. :)
  • AngieBee67
    AngieBee67 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree with getting a bike and riding that. If you CAN walk, I suggest Leslie Sansone's walking DVD's. They are wonderful. They've helped me to build up my stamina and I am now back on the treadmill.
  • virginia65us
    virginia65us Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I love the "10 Minute Solution Pilates" DVDs. You can do one workout, all of them, or any combination. It's great when you are pressed for time and just want to squeeze in some exercise. There's no impact, so your knees wouldn't be an issue. Pilates doesn't burn a lot of calories, but it will make you look and feel sleeker and stronger pretty quickly. It's kind of relaxing too.
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above recommendations about biking and walking. Also Gilads Body in Motion is alot of fun if you can
    find it on your cable network.
  • Maeiowa
    Maeiowa Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Sometimes motel pools will let you use their pools (for a small fee). That is a great place to do water aerobics or just walk or job in the water. Usually the pools are empty and you feel like you have your own private pool!