Need help getting energy so I can dump the energy drinks!

Options
So I find myself lacking energy lately and as a result I drink an energy drink. And now I think I'm starting to become addicted to them. I had given up soda a few years back and don't want to get back into drinking sugar. For the most part I drink water all day, nothing else, unless you consider my breakfast (protein shake) a drink. I started taking a vitamin B complex in hopes that this will boost energy.
I am thinking its due to a lack of vegetables. I eat them, not as many as I should and usually cooked. Anyone try a veggie shake/smoothie? I'm sure they don't taste the best but I will suffer just to get it into my body and get some energy. So any help with this probably will be very much appreciated!

Replies

• km202
    km202 Posts: 112
    Options
    This is not exactly what you were asking, but I thought I would recommend eating an apple. Apples pack more caffeine than a cup of coffee, so it could help you to get away from the energy drinks.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    My first suggestion is - how many cals are you eating? I started at 1200 cals a day (sometimes lower) and exercised 6 x a week. for the first 2 months I did great - lost weight! Then I got so run down and tired and stopped losing. I had to up my cals to 1500 to overcome that feeling. Fuel your workouts. Once I did that and quit wearing myself out everyday - I kept losing and feel wonderful. Since your diary is private - I don't know it this is you. Just my opinion. Good luck!
  • tenaheff
    Options
    I think you may have to go through a period of withdrawal where you are more tired than you would like to be while giving up the energy drinks. I would also recommend a good multivitamin. I know for me, this is crucial to any weightloss plan or else I am always exhausted.

Beyond that, if you are tired, your body is sending you a message. You need to get more rest. This wouuld probably be better than pumping yourself up artificially. (Says me, as I finish a Mt. Dew lol),
  • sylrog
    Options
    I ditto everything folks were saying. Also, check how much iron you are getting.
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    not eating enough dietary fats....low fat intake will mess up your balance
  • nownorma
    nownorma Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Whatttttt? Apples don't have any caffeine in them. That is just silly. !!!

http://www.energyfiend.com/is-there-caffeine-in-apples
  • KB1ofaKind
    KB1ofaKind Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Fresh vegetable and fruits juices really gave me the energy I needed. I love my Omega juicer!
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Apples do NOT contain caffeine. http://www.livestrong.com/article/276790-does-an-apple-have-more-caffeine-than-coffee/

Do you consume anything other than a protein drink in the morning? At what time does your energy begin to slump? Have you tried, instead of the energy drink, to eat a healthy snack? Peanut butter and crackers(combo of protein and carbs for longer LASTING energy), a piece of fruit, cheese and turkey?

And your issue isn't vegetables. While they provide much needed vitamins and nutrients, they are low in sugars and proteins which the body uses.
    If you want to add more veggies, take a handful of spinach and add it to the protein shake. If it is chocolate, especially, you won't taste the spinach in a good blender.
  • nownorma
    nownorma Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love making a protein drink with skim milk, 1 T peanut butter, a half a banana for sweetness, ice cubes, some raw cacao powder or nibs, and a large leaf of kale. (You need a really GREAT blender for this to work -- like a Vitamix -- or if not, you will have to chop your kale first.) If you want even more protein, add a scoop or a half scoop of protein powder of your choice. (I like unsweetened egg white powder.)

Packed with protein, flavor, the right kinds of fats, fiber, lots of vitamins, and energy.
  • mrsjarvis11
    mrsjarvis11 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    After reading I'm thinking its calorie intake, I'm having a difficult time trying not to eat too many but not too little. I stay close to 1200 daily. My breakfast protein shake is:
    1 cup spinach
    1 frozen banana
    1 tbsp almond butter
    1 scoop body fortress protein powder (chocolate peanut butter)
    1 cup Almond Silk Unsweetened

I find myself feeling tired middle of day, and when I work mornings this makes it hard for me to come home and have the desire to work out. When I work evenings I work out before work but still get tired mid shift.
    I think I will try to up calories though I've been saying this for a few weeks now, I just worry because I don't want to eat back everything I work off!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I know that just about everyone gets 1200 cals from MFP when they start out, but it's much healthier to determine your BMR and TDEE and eat between those two numbers. It's a pretty good range and you could up cals slowly until you feel better, but are still losing. It's hard and scarey to up your cals - I did it 100 at a time until I reached 1600. I'm still losing 1 - 1.5 pounds a week, It's all about finding what works for you and still allows you to feel good.

Check out the post above and see what your numbers look like. Dan is awesome in answering questions too. Pm him if you don't understand something. Good luck - I hope you feel better!
  • Brendajo510
    Options
    I have heard apples can wake you up better than a cup of coffee in the morning.

It could be that your are not eating enough calories which is why you are tired, or it could just be the adjustment.

My favorite pick me up is green tea. I actually do not like plain green tea, I hate the taste. But for some reason I really like orange passion fruit jasmine green tea. They had some for free at my old job and I just fell in love with it. I find it good hot and cold. I don't add sugar or anything so there are no calories.