Any other equestrians on here?

Options
Any other equestrians on here? What do you do to stay in riding shape?

Replies

• lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I used to be. My trainer used to have me hold a whole raw egg between my knees in the squatting position for 10 minutes. That was before I was fat and out of shape. I could post without stirrups though!
  • crazycakez
    Options
    Me me! I ride 4-5 days a week. Right now I'm training in Dressage, but my background is in jumpers.

Along with riding, I take classes at my gym. I try to go to Bodyworks (kind of a boot camp class) and Kickboxing classes a few times a week as well. I also sometimes do yoga and Pilates DVDs at home, which I find is great for my core and posture.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like!
  • xbittersweet
    Options
    Added you crazy :) I'll have to check out some yoga or pilates. I'm terrible at leaning forward and I'm a jumper rider :( slouching shoulders will be my downfall

lyttlewon I don't even have stirrups on my saddle anymore :( I used to be able to jump 3ft without them but I took a year or two off so I'm trying to build back up to that. It's not as easy as it used to be lol
  • horsepullerlovesme
    Options
    we have a arabian, and 3 belgiums.......got to love them...hopin to lose tons so i can ride my arabian more often!!!!! i love our horses!
  • 1nr15
    1nr15 Posts: 155
    Options
    jumper... i've been running for years, but i just fractured my ankle last week, so yoga and as many squats i can (because of my ankle) to keep my quads and hamstrings strong :)
  • peace_pigeon
    peace_pigeon Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Count me in! I do mainly dressage with my lovely (and very opinionated) swb mare, but we do a bit of jumping here and there to keep life interesting. I ask a lot from her, so I figure that the least I can do is keep in good shape as well. I do lots of circut training, as well as running, hiking and biking. Dressage obviously requires tons of core strength, so I do lots of abs (and of course after sitting her trot for a few minutes I feel like my abs are on *fire*- ouch!). Someone told me once that you can't get fit enough to ride one horse by only riding one horse, and it has always stuck with me :)