why cant bathing suits be like underwear?

Options
Mostly for women --
Ok, not to get TMI on you but I have a few pairs of underwear that look really good on me now as I am losing some weight....they arent Victorias Secret (they are JCPenneys). I would wear them out in public if they were a little less underwearish - but you know what I mean.....
SO WHY do bathing suits have to be so bathingsuitish - why cant they be more underwearish -- even if there were "cant get them wet bathing suits" - why when you put a bathing suit on does everything have to squish and squeeze where you dont want it to??
WHY?

Replies

• XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    LOL - I was thinking what a great idea, for our underwear to be more like bathing suits... squishing everything INTO place! Not like that shapewear that restricts your breathing...
  • emily859
    Options
    I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. I do have one bathing suit that is very similar to lingerie (even the top is like a push-up bra) and it doesn't squeeze at all like a typical bathing suit. The downside- it was $200. Its a Betsey Johnson tankini and if it means that much to you it may be worth the splurge. I know for me, after trying on literally, 50 suits, this one made me feel beautiful, so it was worth it to me.

If only Target or Old navy would get a clue... :)
  • SarahJayRigdon
    SarahJayRigdon Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I absolutely DREAD swimsuit shopping!:noway: Once I find one, I wear it until it is unwearable. In fact my husband insisted that I get a new one this year because the old one looks like I'm carrying a load in the back side :blushing: In my experience though, a well made swimsuit costs a pretty penny but it is well worth it; I spent $135 on a beautiful tankini and it lasted nearly 5 years. Bought one at Target last year and... well, I already mentioned that.
  • niktrue
    Options
    I'm SO there with you! I had always bought bathing suits from old navy (and still sadly own one... but at this point its begging to be retired) but recently bought a well structured one from Macys, and its MUCH better! I still have issues regarding being in a bathingsuit (hence I'm here) but it holds me in and picks me up where I need to be held & picked!!!

Hopefully this summer is better.... ;-)
  • NykkieC
    NykkieC Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I know this probably isn't for everyone, but I've found that bikinis that you have to tie everywhere fit MUCH better than ones that you just put on since you have more control over how they fit.

This past September I stayed at a hotel with my hubby and I was confident enough to wear a bikini into the public pool! Given I was no where near my goal weight (and still aren't) but it covered me up enough that it felt great!
  • angelwings2000
    angelwings2000 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    At my age..everything has started getting a 'little' jiggly. Add the extra pounds and there is flab busting out all over the pace! There is nothing so frustrating as trying on swinsuits and having it all pointed out foryou in the three way mirror. Must be the reason I have kept my swimsuit for several years already. :blushing:
  • cherie2304
    cherie2304 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Since we're on the subject of bathing suits...where do you go to find one that has like an underwire...I'm young but with this weightloss the girls have suffered. I'll be in Hawaii in May and really want to wear a bathing suit but I don't want to look droopy. haha:laugh:
  • Feralsquirrel
    Feralsquirrel Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    well, water has a tendency to pull on things, i'd rather it bunch a little than lose it somewhere in the deep end lol.
  • NykkieC
    NykkieC Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Since we're on the subject of bathing suits...where do you go to find one that has like an underwire...I'm young but with this weightloss the girls have suffered. I'll be in Hawaii in May and really want to wear a bathing suit but I don't want to look droopy. haha:laugh:

I was looking online at Old Navy last night and they have underwire tops!
    If you're willing to spend a little more for it Victoria's Secret has some super cute suits with underwire too. I've never personally had one but I've heard great things about them.
    Hope this helps!
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I wear underwear as bathing suits all the time, most people ask, where did you get that bathing suit!!!
  • cherie2304
    cherie2304 Posts: 632 Member
    Options

I was looking online at Old Navy last night and they have underwire tops!
    If you're willing to spend a little more for it Victoria's Secret has some super cute suits with underwire too. I've never personally had one but I've heard great things about them.
    Hope this helps!

Awesome!!! I will check it out. Thanks a bunch.
  • simonielang
    simonielang Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to give wearing my Target bikini underwear to the beach this summer. They fit really well and don't make me feel like a cow. I HATE bathing suits. They are tight and make everything buldge. UGH.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I love Victoria Secret bathing suits! Some of those are like their undies.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Athleta

A little expensive but worth it.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I never understood why some women will wear bikinis in public, but it is apparently a crisis if a man catches a glimpse of them in their underwear.
  • jesfish
    jesfish Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know what the final decisions were here??
    Did you go designer? Did you opt for undies?

Ive been wearing PrAna Boyshort underwear (black) for 5 years now. I don't swim often, maybe 3 times a year or less... so one pair lasts me longer than the average person. They stay on. They don't pinch. And I'm unbelievably self-conscious about swim bottoms bc of how I carry my weight. These literally are the only bottoms I've worn that don't make me want to cry. Would like to find something new, though...?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I never understood why some women will wear bikinis in public, but it is apparently a crisis if a man catches a glimpse of them in their underwear.

When I see a woman in a bikini I usually think to myself, "ah...now I know what you look like in your panties and bra..."
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    Ita awkward when I'm in a bikini at the pool at the club swimming with the boy and run into one if the older men I know from the curling section. Now when I see them at curling I get a weirs grin like I know what you look like in your undies since that's what a bikini essentially is.

As for undies as a bathing suit if they are lined why not
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    You just gotta find the right brand! Victoria's Secret are my least favorite, personally. I like Sweet Treat Bikinis and Yandy (super cheap, but I dunno, I just love them)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I just do not have answer for this question.. I do not want my underwear to be like a bathing suit or vice versa.. I guess what I wear for comfort and what I want in swim wear are no where near the same thing..

Perhaps a clothes designer should entertain the idea of making custom swim suits that suit your comfort (mimic your underwear) and style preferences.. I am sure it can be done for a price...