Body After Baby...

Options
So, I am 24 years old, and have always been active and on the smaller side (5'3/5'4, 100-110lbs), however during pregnancy I gained around 35lbs (my baby was born at 8.1 lbs) SInce I left the hospital at 117lbs, not a fraction of a pound has move, I cannot bring myself to exercise, other than a few walks i am overwhelmed with motherhood, and beat myself up everyday for being "lazy/busy" and I am so depressed I cant muster up the gumption to be active again, I eat considerably healthy (I monitor fat, sugar carbs, etc) But I always seem to be hungry, and tired!!! I am at my wits end due to the fact that I finish bartending school next week and being so undesirable looking will effect my tips, and therefore my dughter and my quality of life! Any thoughts, encouragment, advice, etc?! Thank you!

Replies

• AlieBalie
    AlieBalie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yeah, talk to your doctor, sounds a bit like symptoms of post partum depression. Also, if you are breastfeeding it is normal to feel more hungry. And obviously more tired with a new baby!
  • Rawr1978
    Rawr1978 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Despite what you read about some new moms peeling it all off mere months after a baby, it doesnt happen in *most* cases.

I was 115lbs when i got pregnant with my first at age 21. I was 155 when he was born, went to 135 within a month. Then, no matter WHAT I did, I crept up to 160. I got so down about it, I didnt bother to try to lose anything until he was freakin 3.

I was 135lbs when i got pregnant with #2 seven years later. This time, i blew up to 205lbs. Went down to 175 two weeks later, then the slow descent to 210. Took 2 years to whip my *kitten* into shape.

142 with this last one, 183 when i went in. 163 two weeks later. It's been 10 months, and i am 177.

I've come to realize that perhaps my hormones are just not going to be very copacetic to me losing weight right after a baby.

I do understand your concern about the bartending- i was going to go for a bartending job, but with my huge gut, aint going to happen.
  • Rawr1978
    Rawr1978 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    And it isnt "lazy". Baby comes before exercising, it's going to be that way for a while, unless you have childcare. Babies throw some mothers (like myself) for a loop, trust me. I turn into a raging ***** if i become exhausted. If you do have childcare, learn to consider your exercise time "me time". It's time for yourself, time away from the sweet little bundle of crying and dirty diapers :-)
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Babies are work. A LOT of work. It's a big adjustment. I don't know how old your baby is, but you should also consider speaking with your ob/doctor about the possibility of post-natal depression. Many women go through a period of the 'baby blues.'
  • ffwife97
    Options
    I am 5'4" and before children I weighed 110 lbs. I had my first when I was 20 and have had 3 more since then (1 was a C-section). About 3 months ago I got fed up with the tummy that I still had and didn't like the scale showing 130 lbs. So I started to work out and watched what I ate. I am now 118 lbs or so and I am so much happier. I am not done yet. My ultimate goal would be 112lbs but I would be happy at 115 because I am also starting to lift more weights. My goal is to get tone now and since muscle weighs more than fat I don't know that 112 lbs is a realist goal for what I want.

I am not sure how old your baby is but if you are still breastfeeding then give yourself and your body time. I didn't get back to being active til at least 6 months after each child. Maybe some other moms did but I was tired from 2 am feeding and needed to give my body time to heal.

I would talk to your doctor about the baby blues. It is common, especially after your first because your life changes so much. It changes in a beautiful way but it can still be hard to adjust to the changes.
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • harlow8
    harlow8 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was breastfeeding, however, I read online that when breastfeeding, your body holds onto fat stores to provide baby... so i stopped after about a month. She is two months old now, and I am on zoloft for depression. I guess I just have to bite the bullet, when I start working again, I will fit excercise into my schedule and not be sitting at home, where it is easy to eat non stop lol