Crazy Diet

I was recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease which is a gluten intolerance as well as a hiatal hernia and severe acid reflux. So needless to say my diet is crazy. Something that is okay for one condition isn't for the other. I was on a complete babyfood diet untill a few weeks ago. Now that I am on solid food again I am having a hard time eating 1200 calories a day. I manage to get in between 500-600 a day. I don't get hungry really and when I do eat I can only hold a very small amount. If any one has tips on what is good to eat for these conditions input would be much appreciated. I'm afraid I will stop losing weight if I don't manage to get more calories in don't want my body to start thinking its starving. I have plenty of energy and feel fine which surprises me considering the amount of calories I'm eating. I do however take vitimins. Any help with a diet that is acceptable with my health issues appreciated.

Replies

• maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    What kinds of food are bad for the acid reflux? If you give us a list of ingredients/foods we could probably suggest some good recipes. I would probably start out by checking out some gluten free blogs and websites.
  • Have you talked to your Doc? Doc could maybe recommend a nutritionist. That is my input since i don't know much about yourr heath problems. Good luck on your journey.
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    What kinds of food are bad for the acid reflux?

citrus, coffee (caf or decaf), tomatos, wine

These are the big 4.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    I'm gluten intolerant, but I have no clue about the other ones.
  • Maybe a protein shake....I drink EAS ...I love it.....I dont know if it will work with your issues but for the calories and protein....
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Acid reflux a lot of foods and alcohol can bother. Green Peppers and Garlic kill me! But spicy food, fried food, onions so many things can trigger acid reflux. I am on 40 mg of prescription prilosec a day. That helps but doesn't totally take care of the problem. I also can't eat 3-4 hours before I go to bed. I do the best eatting grilled, baked stewed chicken, broiled seafood, hamburger most meat that isn't fried. Pastas you need to be careful eating if you don't make it. Most have garlic. It taste kinda nasty but a tablespoon of applecider vinegar helps nutralize the acid. I've lived with acid refux for a number of years.
  • The doctors each gave me a list of foods that I can't eat. I pretty much know what to eat I just have a hard time putting what I can eat together to make healthy meals. I think the nutritionist would be the best thing right now. Thanks for the input. Here are some of the things I cannot eat: Tomato, any food that causes gas, vinegar, any food with gluten, chocolate, dairy, mint, coffee, tea, any carbonated beverage, no fat, nothing spicy, no citris fruit, I'm allergic to peanut butter. I have pretty much just been eating green grapes, salmon, shrimp, some boneless skinless chicken with no seasoning of any kind, zuchinni, rice cakes, and I drink only water. I have lost 21 pounds in 28 days. I don't wanna lose to quick and I don't imagine I will continue to lose if I don't eat the amount of calories I should.
  • vodkoffee
    vodkoffee Posts: 160 Member
    I have a severe gluten intolerance and I've found paleo and primal diet to work best for me. Try googling paleo and primal recipes and see if any work for you. Feel free to add me if you want a friend with gluten and stomach troubles. I hope you start feeling better soon! :)
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    For cooking ingredients, I recommend quinoa, black beans, pinto beans, coconut oil, coconut flour, almond flour.

You can make a good veggie burger with quinoa, eggs, rice flour, and veggies.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Oh you poor thing! I would probably write down a list of all the foods you can eat and like to eat and go exploring for what you can find. For instance, I think from your list (sorry if I'm wrong) it sounds like you could make baked zuchini sticks: dip sliced or spears of zucchini in egg white, then in almond or coconut flour and bake until crunchy to give your zucchini some variety.

More nuts? Unless they have too much fat? How about plain rice, cooked in chicken or vegetable broth and chop some veggies to add in at the beginning of cooking for flavor? If almond milk is ok, make protein shakes with that. Can you have rice noodles? Maybe you could make a type of pad thai with a bit of almond butter instead of peanut butter. Can you have non-spicy (not hot) spices? Some Italian seasoning or curry powder might liven up your chicken breasts. If you can find low fat coconut milk you could make chicken curry with veggies and eat it over rice.

Not sure if it's gluten free, but packets of vegetable or onion soup mix (dry) are really good to add to batches of rice for flavor. Pork loin is pretty lean.

Have you explored brown rice bread or tortillas? You can put an egg on a piece of toast or tortilla for a meal. More eggs in general, scrambled with veggies, or over a potato patty?