I HATE 30 Day Shred!

Options
(Sorry this is long. It turned out longer than I intended. Read at your own risk)

I do!
I hate it.

And not the good hate, like "oh, she sucks 'cause she kicks my butt" sort of thing. More like "I don't understand why I'm doing this kooky simultaneous one legged squat and military press thing."

I keep going with it because I want to finish what I started (I'm level 2 day 7).

But i'm just not excited about the workout, and I think it is affecting my general attitude.

On the other hand, I alternate each day with C25k and THAT program gets me excited. In fact, I do the dreaded Week 5, 20 min jog tomorrow and I'm so excited.

I'm at a crossroads, I guess I'm hesitating, quite honestly.

Just realizing it as I type it.

I want to begin to lift. I wish I could do it at home.
I HATE gyms, hate them (I just don't like working out around other people)! I've lost 60lbs since last November and haven't set foot in a gym all summer (I've sweated it out).

I gotta do it right?

Replies

• childofArtemis24
    Options
    is it really bad, cause i was gonna buy it?
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    well, you don't HAVE to

but, if you want the results you aren't getting, then you do

unless you can afford an at-home gym with all that equipment
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you're a runner :flowerforyou: I hate everything but running. But I do everything else to support my running and so that I can run injury free :happy:
  • AC417
    AC417 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It's a good workout but if you don't like it maybe you need something more fun in order to stick with it. I'm about to start Tae Bo, which looks pretty hardcore and takes about an hour. I like 30DS because it's under 30 minutes. Maybe try one of Jillian's other videos or look into videos by other trainers that offer a similar circuit training technique?
  • 45taylor
    45taylor Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    No you don"t!!! Do what you like and you will stick with it, have a better attitude about it, and achieve better results and feel more satisfied with your effort!!
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    If you hate it, don't do it.

Do the exercise you love, and keep exploring new and different exercise options to expand the variety of things you love. Sticking with something you hate will just suck, and potentially hurt your outlook on a healthy new lifestyle. I love heavy lifting, rock climbing, and riding my bicycle outdoors. Also, yoga and ballet.

You can do living social deals to try out new things, different types of yoga, dance classes, rock climbing, kayaking, kickboxing, horseback riding, or whatever strikes your fancy. They sometimes also do really cheap one-month trials for regular gyms.
  • jerzie1213
    jerzie1213 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    personally, i think if you don't like it, then don't do it! i actually really enjoy the 30 day shred, but there are certainly other programs that i don't like. i feel like exercise is work as it is, so you definitely should find something that you enjoy doing. there are SO many workout programs out there... just find one you like to do! at least you like the C25K program! definitely try to supplement it with something other than the 30 day shred though or else you're not doing yourself any good! even the video game workouts are fun (i'm a personal fan of the kinect zumba... in the solitude of my empty home of course!)
  • beachdiva2010
    beachdiva2010 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I definitely would not do a workout that has you feeling this way. I'm doing Turbo Fire right now, then going to finish up wth Tapout XT. Look it up. It will deffinitely get the finishing results.

Good luck and don't give up!!
  • rjpvptdpt
    rjpvptdpt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That's funny because I'm L2D4 and I also alternate running in with my 30DS. When I jog outside, I can easily go 3 mi/~31 min, but when I jog on the treadmill, I can barely make it to 2 mi. Motivation to get out before dinner vs jogging in the basement :)

I don't mind the kooky 1-leg kick with military press, but I _hate_ the squat + V row thing after it :) The 1-leg kick helps strengthen your hip abductors & adductors of your stance leg (for strength and balance) and your quads of your kicking leg (specifically your eccentric control -- the lowering). And the military press helps your balance as well as strengthening your arms.

I'm a physical therapist, so thinking about the functional strengthening behind the exercises helps me get through the ones I don't like :)
  • Mrshunts
    Mrshunts Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    (Sorry this is long. It turned out longer than I intended. Read at your own risk)

Actually this is short lol

But you are not alone, i dont like 30 day shred either. BUT i do like a few of JM other dvds, i am currently doing banish fat boost metabolism, and no more trouble zones for strength training, also bob harper pure burn super strength dvd with weights. There are alot of weight training in home programs. Chalene extreme is good. Search around the threads.

Do something you like, making yourself suffer through it, youre probably not doing it correctly.....search youtube and preview everything first
  • smccb
    smccb Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Don't do what you hate. This is for YOU - find something you enjoy.

I, too, HATED 30 DS. I did Turbo Fire and loved it. Lost 20 lbs in 3 months. I think a lot of it was the energy I put into it. You really push yourself when you love what you are doing.

If that is running for you, then GO FOR IT.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I agree if you don't like it don't do it.

I did P90X twice, 30 day shred, couch to 5 k (twice), extreme shed and shred and ripped in 30. for most of them I was okay, I had a love/hate with a couple but I hung in there.

I also tried Insanity and HATED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOATHED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so I stopped doing it and moved onto something I liked. Best decision ever.

I agree with the person that said you sound like a runner. Do what you like and you'll get results.
  • kris4chloe
    kris4chloe Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    i couldn't get into 30DS either. its about finding out what you LOVE to do and doing it.

for me i tried everything. i like lifting, and i love yoga and pilates so that is what i do.

i want to love to run, but i just can't. i walk and try to run, but mostly walk.

do what works for you!
  • LifestyleChange33
    LifestyleChange33 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I was over 30ds by day 12.
    I use my PocketTrainer phone app. Cost $2 and is the best thing next to having an actual trainer. I'm also ding the 100 push up app (personal goal is 10 on the toes by the end of the year) and also RunKeeper for when I walk/run. I'm about the same level as you in C25K.

I can't do the same work out day after day. Better to switch it up anyway, right?
  • PammyGift
    PammyGift Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the others. If you don't like it don't do it. You'll dread working out. You don't have to join a gym to get a workout. You do have to be a little creative about the weights. Water jugs, soup cans, chairs or even the bands they sell at any store. I know a few websites that sell videos have a clip you can watch before you buy. If you don't get motivated from doing the shred...move to something that does.
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I tried to start it a few times but it kills my knees with the lunges (old injury) so yeah, I hate it too. Glad I downloaded it instead of paying for it.
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I glanced at 30DS passed on it. I decided to do RI30 instead, finished and went right into JM Body Revolution about to start week 4. I do BR in the morning and C25K in the evenings.
  • sizzler0123
    Options
    I tried it and didn't like it either. So I don't do it. you need to find something you enjoy, it will make it that much easier to stick with it. free weights at home and look up an online program or just some basic things to start.
  • angeljamin
    angeljamin Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I hated it too! It just isn't the right workout for me and she kinda bugs me.

I just got P90X and I LOVE IT! It's a little pricey, but you don't need the pull-up bar like it says. You just need a set of dumbbells, a yoga mat and the video series. It is kicking my *kitten*, but I love it!

Good luck and you gotta love working out or it's just no fun!
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    It's not bad. But it does get repetitive. I'm on day 8 of level 1.