What to eat ...

Options
Hello :),
So I need some help because I've noticed for the past few weeks there seems to be nothing healthy to eat apart from salad and I like variety in my life (and by variety I don't just mean different types of salad). The thing is I don't like pasta at all and hot drinks are a no go for me, so soup is out of the question.
With that in mind, has anyone got any lunch (both for on the go (I don't have access to anything heated so any on the go food has to be cold) and heated things.) and dinner (nothing too complex, I can only do very basic cooking at the moment) ?

Replies

• snelson0511
    Options
    Well you can always do tuna that's easy and healthy. Also I like to fix things in a crock pot because you can make it to taste with different spices and meats...and you can easily heat that up.

I found on allrecipes.com some quick meals that are meatless (I eat meat...however I found that it seems to correspond with more calories and sodium). You might want to give that a try.

Good luck!
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Trying to loaeweightdoesntmean you have to eat salads alone, try a variety of food - like a healthy sandwich - whole wheat bread, or tortilla wraps with salmon or chicken or tuna with lots of spinach.

Or potato salad without mayo.

For dinner, boil some veg - carrots, brocolli i or asparagus, and go with some meat - fish, pork or chicken, once a while you can have beef.

If you are vegetarian, there's beans, tofu that you can try.

Remember - you got to have a balanced diet, and ensure that you eat something low calories that make you feel full, if not, you will tend to eat more, which happens to me. Add me if you like,I love experimenting with food, and have lots of ideas to provide on how to make simple and yet tasty food that will make you feel full. :-)
  • Crystaleyed
    Crystaleyed Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Well you can always do tuna that's easy and healthy. Also I like to fix things in a crock pot because you can make it to taste with different spices and meats...and you can easily heat that up.

I found on allrecipes.com some quick meals that are meatless (I eat meat...however I found that it seems to correspond with more calories and sodium). You might want to give that a try.

Good luck!

Thanks for the link :)
    and I don't get quite what you mean by a crock pot ?
    I'm not keen on Tuna to be honest but thanks for all the other stuff :D x
  • Crystaleyed
    Options
    Trying to loaeweightdoesntmean you have to eat salads alone, try a variety of food - like a healthy sandwich - whole wheat bread, or tortilla wraps with salmon or chicken or tuna with lots of spinach.

Or potato salad without mayo.

For dinner, boil some veg - carrots, brocolli i or asparagus, and go with some meat - fish, pork or chicken, once a while you can have beef.

If you are vegetarian, there's beans, tofu that you can try.

Remember - you got to have a balanced diet, and ensure that you eat something low calories that make you feel full, if not, you will tend to eat more, which happens to me. Add me if you like,I love experimenting with food, and have lots of ideas to provide on how to make simple and yet tasty food that will make you feel full. :-)

I've just added you now :)
    I love sandwiches but my only problem is I have had a ham and cheese sandwhich as a packed lunch at school for six years and my taste buds just need something more exciting to be honest. I found in Sainsbury's a recepie for ham and cheese muffins which I'll give a try :).
    It will be great to have another friend :D x
  • jkmiller82
    jkmiller82 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    What I had for dinner tonight was ridiculously easy and yum:

Mix a 1/2 cup greek yogurt (I used Chobani 0%), about a quarter cup shredded parmesan, a tablespoon or so of dijon mustard, a little Lawry's seasoning salt,pepper and minced garlic. My measurements aren't 100% correct cause I eyeball it a bit, but just mix it till it tastes good, haha.
    Spread the mixture over 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast (cover them completely)
    Sprinkle with a little more parmesan
    Pop in the oven at 375 for about 40 minutes, check to make sure the inside isn't pink cause cooking times vary. It's best when the mix on top gets brown.

This is 2 servings!

You're done and it is sooooo good and moist, you feel like you're splurging on calories, but I had this tonight with some sauteed asparagus and it was about 400 calories all together, according to my calculations.
  • msperkey3
    msperkey3 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Yummy sounding chicken recipe!
  • cookn_mama
    cookn_mama Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I make my vegetarian daughter a sandwich similiar to grilled cheese only it has...tomatoes, any kind of sliced cheese, splash of mayo sprinkled with italian seasonings. It's pretty good. Quick and easy.
  • Crystaleyed
    Options
    What I had for dinner tonight was ridiculously easy and yum:

Mix a 1/2 cup greek yogurt (I used Chobani 0%), about a quarter cup shredded parmesan, a tablespoon or so of dijon mustard, a little Lawry's seasoning salt,pepper and minced garlic. My measurements aren't 100% correct cause I eyeball it a bit, but just mix it till it tastes good, haha.
    Spread the mixture over 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast (cover them completely)
    Sprinkle with a little more parmesan
    Pop in the oven at 375 for about 40 minutes, check to make sure the inside isn't pink cause cooking times vary. It's best when the mix on top gets brown.

This is 2 servings!

You're done and it is sooooo good and moist, you feel like you're splurging on calories, but I had this tonight with some sauteed asparagus and it was about 400 calories all together, according to my calculations.

God I'm hungry just reading that :P.
  • p0kers0ph
    p0kers0ph Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Rice & chicken.
    Noodles
    Wraps
    Leftovers from night before's dinner
    Baked potato
    Fish

Lots of options apart from salads.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for a variety, give www.recipesource.com a try - every foreign country is recognized on this website and you will have free access to TONS of recipes... Just think of a country, its there!

On the whole cooking-skill thing... Visit Youtube.com and look up Epicurious and Video Jug for free cooking lessons on video... I recommend that to lots of people who are eager to learn when I cant go to their place to teach them (I used to work as a chef)... Ive got one woman from work who is almost proficient at doing a brunoise cut from those videos - Im so proud of her!!!!!!