1000 calories a day!

Options
My doctor put me on a 1000 calorie a day diet and I'm having a hard time finding meals to eat. Does anyone have any suggestions

Replies

• Madelinew22
    Options
    what was the reasong. thats low i net 1000 but thats only because i burn 600 on a average day
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Get a new doctor.
  • Madelinew22
    Options
    Get a new doctor.

yup
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    i don't have any suggestions that aren't obvious (chicken breast and veggies, for example) but...

You may want to add to your profile that the 1000 calories a day was prescribed by your doctor. Because it is so low, some people around here are likely to get their panties in a bunch over it! Of course that's up to you, but it might save you some hassle.
  • deadheadcheri
    Options
    Get a new doctor. Seriously....you cannot maintain after losing at 1000 calories a day. Find your BMR and eat that each day and find an exercise you can do every day.

And GET A NEW DOCTOR.
  • susanfisher
    susanfisher Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    That is pretty low for your calories intake for the day!!
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I say get a nutrisitonest to look over what your eating a d tweek it.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    those of you who suggest getting a new doctor.. are you aware that patients pre- and post- bariatric surgery are put on extremely restrictive diets? Now of course, I have no idea if that is the case with the OP but, you never know what the story is.
  • WickedBean
    WickedBean Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Get a new doctor.

yup

Perhaps there is a reason, I know my Dr. has done that before and gradually increased the amount of food eating.. of course mine was due to some health issues I was having at the time but there could be a really valid reason for it.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should see a nutritionist and go over what you're currently eating, they can help you adjust it in order to make sure you're getting proper nutrients for your body.
  • sunrunner68
    Options
    Why would a doctor do that? That will put your body into starvation mode and actually SLOW your metabolism!
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    Why? Are you about to have surgery or have you already had it? I'm really trying to understand why a doctor would promote this.
  • etherealdoll
    Options
    Lol @ everyone who thinks they know more than your doctor
  • owndbycatz
    owndbycatz Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The challenge with low calorie intake is: (1) not feeling hungry and (2) getting adequate nutrition. Go for bulk that is highly nutritious (like lots of fruit and veggies) + lean proteins. This will keep you within your calorie intake but you won't be hungry and you're more likely to get the nutrients you need. Try making big salads and add tuna, chicken breast, etc. Just watch out on your salads about adding the calories with dressing. Personally, I've learned to enjoy my salads with just plain (not seasoned) rice vinegar. Sometimes I make a dressing of rice vinegar, dijon mustard, garlic and spices.
  • JBott84
    JBott84 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Why would a doctor do that? That will put your body into starvation mode and actually SLOW your metabolism!

OMG now you did it - please don't go there :frown: (starvation mode) lmao - you've been warned hahaha :bigsmile: j/k but really I don't know if I would check in to see the reaction to that comment....
  • mdbs2004
    Options
    I would start by eating the dr.
  • rhonniema
    Options
    Why were you put on this diet?
  • Kasya007
    Kasya007 Posts: 165 Member
    Options

OMG now you did it - please don't go there :frown: (starvation mode) lmao - you've been warned hahaha :bigsmile: j/k but really I don't know if I would check in to see the reaction to that comment....

Reaction #1:

24161162.jpg

Sits back & waits patiently for reaction #2. :bigsmile:
  • c8linmarie
    c8linmarie Posts: 358 Member
    Options

Is this where I reach for the popcorn and wait for the fireworks to begin?
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    TRUTH! OK, you CAN eat 1000 cals per day and Lose a LOT of weight IF you can STICK TO IT! Find the reasoning behind your doctor's choice; You might decide that you need a Nutritionist if it is ONLY weight you need to lose and NOTHING ELSE IS INVOLVED.

What a LOT of these people on MFP DO NOT GET is that some people MUST lose weight QUICKLY for OTHER MEDICAL REASONS. Most of THESE people are soooo Superficial that they think Everyone is trying to lose weight to fit into a size 0 or look good in a swim suit. I venture to say MOST people are trying to lose weight for some type of Medical Reason. I have been there and stuck to 1000 cal and corrected My medical problem. Also, do NOT buy into all that "Starvation Mode" CRAP and all the other "Crazy" stuff you WILL hear here. If the weight loss is needed quickly for medical reasons, DO It and stick to it, correct the problem. THEN get a better eating Plan that you can STICK with For LIFE.