Replies

• mag1c
    mag1c Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Lol @ everyone who thinks they know more than your doctor

seems to be a recurring theme around here
  • LeslieW80
    Options
    He gave me a pamphlet of suggested foods and said to eat 1000 calories a day I have to loose about 90 pounds I am not having surgery I asked to see a nutritionist but he acted like he didn't hear me
  • sasaroo
    sasaroo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Load up your meals with free vegetables! THat made all the difference for me. The Jenny Craig program calls it "Volumizing" Google that for more information. You can fill up on lo cal, high volume foods.
  • LeslieW80
    Options
    Just to lose weight I have about 90 pounds to lose
  • CaelGomez
    Options
    Steamed broccoli. You can put a tiny bit of cheese on it or a tiny bit of salt for extra taste, if you'd prefer.
    Yoplait Light Yogurt with Granola.
    Lean Cuisine Frozen Meals.
    NO bread.
    NO pasta.
    Unless it's part of the Lean Cuisine meals, lol.

Fiber One bars.
    Frosted Mini-Wheats cereal, or Cinnamon LIFE cereal. (With Silk Vanilla Soy milk OR non-fat milk).
    Tomato Soup.
    Fresh fruit.
    I plan on having another un-needed snack, but so far I am under 700cal for today!
    I've been full all day, too!
    Feel free to check out my food diary. (:
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    He gave me a pamphlet of suggested foods and said to eat 1000 calories a day I have to loose about 90 pounds I am not having surgery I asked to see a nutritionist but he acted like he didn't hear me

Doctors should never act like they didn't hear you. I would seek a 2nd opinion. I've had family members who almost died due to doctors instructions being incorrect, and 1,000 is very low, generally speaking, unless you have a valid medical reason to back it up (other health problems than just needing to lose weight, etc.).
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    wow 1000.... That's low..unless you're a smurf :) kidding.
    Low fat, lots of water (lots), lean protein, veggies.
  • kddruckenmiller
    kddruckenmiller Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I would start by eating the dr.

HAHA.
  • D3vAnge1
    D3vAnge1 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    TRUTH! OK, you CAN eat 1000 cals per day and Lose a LOT of weight IF you can STICK TO IT! Find the reasoning behind your doctor's choice; You might decide that you need a Nutritionist if it is ONLY weight you need to lose and NOTHING ELSE IS INVOLVED.

What a LOT of these people on MFP DO NOT GET is that some people MUST lose weight QUICKLY for OTHER MEDICAL REASONS. Most of THESE people are soooo Superficial that they think Everyone is trying to lose weight to fit into a size 0 or look good in a swim suit. I venture to say MOST people are trying to lose weight for some type of Medical Reason. I have been there and stuck to 1000 cal and corrected My medical problem. Also, do NOT buy into all that "Starvation Mode" CRAP and all the other "Crazy" stuff you WILL hear here. If the weight loss is needed quickly for medical reasons, DO It and stick to it, correct the problem. THEN get a better eating Plan that you can STICK with For LIFE.

ditto...I'm nikegyrl79 and I approve of this message.......lol ;-)
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

If there are NO Pending IMMEDIATE Reasons for your weight loss...GO To A NUTRITIONIST. That is SIMPLY a Second Opinion, just like if your doctor had said you have a cancer or something. He/she is NOT GOD and they CAN be questioned. Doctors DO NOT learn about Nutrition in Medical School...they know stuff like arteries are clogged by fat, therefore if you have clogged arteries you must be eating too much fat...ASK a Nutritionist or someone who studies nutrition and they probably will tell you something totally different. GET a Second Opinion from an EXPERT (a Nutritionist or Dietitian).
  • lstone03
    lstone03 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If I were you I'd find a nutritionist and have them give me a plan to lose 90 lbs. I'd think you'd lose too fast and have loose skin eating only 1000 cals a day.
  • mgoetsch1982
    mgoetsch1982 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Get the book "Eat Stop Eat" and it will explain just how to do that!

www.eatstopeat.com
  • emnk5308
    Options
    Tons of veggies =) Take vitamins too, I was doing 1100 a day for a little while...I love baby carrots and cucumbers. Carnation breakfast drinks are good too =)

**Don't go straight to looking for a new Dr. You and you're doctor have obviously been discussing this...
  • janbez
    janbez Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm on a medically supervised weight loss program and my calorie goal is about the same as the person who started this thread. I see a nutritionist every week and the doctor once a month. They are having me eat a lot of lean protien and veggies. I'm keeping my carbs very low. I am trying to avert a serious medical crisis. For me, it is about a lot more than looking cute in my clothes. I know that it goes against conventional wisdom to consume so few calories, but if you have a medical reason to do that and you are appropriately supervised, I think it makes sense. I'm about 3.5 weeks into this, I have lost 12 pounds and I'm feeling really good.
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    TRUTH! OK, you CAN eat 1000 cals per day and Lose a LOT of weight IF you can STICK TO IT! Find the reasoning behind your doctor's choice; You might decide that you need a Nutritionist if it is ONLY weight you need to lose and NOTHING ELSE IS INVOLVED.

What a LOT of these people on MFP DO NOT GET is that some people MUST lose weight QUICKLY for OTHER MEDICAL REASONS. Most of THESE people are soooo Superficial that they think Everyone is trying to lose weight to fit into a size 0 or look good in a swim suit. I venture to say MOST people are trying to lose weight for some type of Medical Reason. I have been there and stuck to 1000 cal and corrected My medical problem. Also, do NOT buy into all that "Starvation Mode" CRAP and all the other "Crazy" stuff you WILL hear here. If the weight loss is needed quickly for medical reasons, DO It and stick to it, correct the problem. THEN get a better eating Plan that you can STICK with For LIFE.

Nonsense....pure nonsense
  • SunshineGRL76
    SunshineGRL76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Breakfast:
    5 egg whites
    1/8 or 1/4 cup Kraft fat free cheddar or Athenos fat free feta
    1/8 tsp tabasco sauce

or

Jennie-O 99% fat free turkey bacon (5 slices)

or

Jones Canadian Bacon

Lunch & Dinner:

6oz baked 99% fat free chicken breast
    1 cup of veggies

6oz ground 99% fat free turkey
    1/4 cup Kraft fat free cheddar cheese
    1 tbls. fat free sour cream
    tabasco sauce

6oz baked fish fillet
    1 cup veggies

Snacks:
    Banana / Strawberries / Blueberries
    Hormel Turkey Pepperoni
    Beef Jerky

I could go on and on about low calorie recipe ideas...These are just the ones in my head...Feel free to add me as a friend, if you would like to add me to your support network. I could share DOZENS of low calorie recipes!!!

Good Luck! Be healthy!
    ~J
  • misskristy30
    Options
    Just because someone's a doctor doesn't mean they're always right. And it doesn't mean he's not right. But the fact that he didn't address you asking about seeing a nutritionist...it might be a good idea to get a second opinion. Do you have serious health issues because of your weight? I have about the same amount to lose and I eat at least 1500 calories a day. Feel free to friend me!
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

I had to lose 50 lbs QUICK for a surgery and did so on 1000 cal per day (in like 3 months or less). THEN when that Crisis was over I began doing 1500-1600 cal per day, No Exercise, Now low exercise and I have lost over 125 lbs. in 2 years. The KEY is STICKING to a Plan (tweeking as needed). If you can't stick to it, you will NOT lose weight!
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    I have a medical reason why I need to lose 100lbs (maybe more) it's because - wait for it - I'M FAT

I'm so bothered by this phenomenon I'm going to be making an appointment with my doc Monday and I'll report back on how many cals she tells me to eat.
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options

I had to lose 50 lbs QUICK for a surgery and did so on 1000 cal per day (in like 3 months or less). THEN when that Crisis was over I began doing 1500-1600 cal per day, No Exercise, Now low exercise and I have lost over 125 lbs. in 2 years. The KEY is STICKING to a Plan (tweeking as needed). If you can't stick to it, you will NOT lose weight!

This just proved what the rest of us are saying. The OP is NOT having surgery.