I workout and eat right, and still do not lose weight

jcrivello21
jcrivello21 Posts: 6
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I just don't understand I workout 5 days a week doing 25-30 min of cardio everyday, also legs one day, chest & tri's the next, than back and biceps, than shoulders. I also do abs @ least 3 days a week, and eat about 1200-1400 calories a day, and still cannot drop any weight.

Anyone have any advice, or tips that would be great. I'm also 5'5" and 142 pounds. thanks so much HELP!!!!

Replies

• stacyoct19
    stacyoct19 Posts: 187 Member
    do you take measurements?
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    do you take measurements?
    Agree; you could be losing weight, but gain muscles counteracts what you would see on the scale. Taking hip/waist measurements will show you more progress than the scale in this case (take measurements every 2-3 weeks for more noticable difference).
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    The only thing I can say is your BMI is smack in the healthy range, so you may be at the point where the body is really slow letting go of weight. Banks/SHBoss has a great post called Expectations - I see if I can get the link for you. It may help!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations?hl=expectations
    That's the one - the "end game" section may give you some helpful info. HTH!
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Are you eating enough?

How long has this been going on?
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Consider for a moment that working out PLUS only eating 1200 calories a day could very well = "starvation mode"

I know it sounds illogical at first, but consider eating more. And consider reading the topics pinned at the top of the "General Diet and Weight Loss Help" forum.
  • Well I've been taking measurements about every 2 weeks, and maybe I'm doing it wrong, cause I really don't see too much difference, maybe less puffiness, or bloating in my tummy area thats it ;o( I started in Sept, and just kept upimg my workouts, and have been at a stand still for about 1.5 months on weightloss
  • mamacassi
    mamacassi Posts: 131
    I agree about eating more. That seems quite low.
  • acureese
    acureese Posts: 169
    Hi! A couple questions, what're the main sources of your nutrition? (More calorie dense? protein/carb/fat ratio?) Make sure you're eating enough, too, because if not your body will hold onto the weight to prevent starvation. Also, have you changed your routine every few weeks? It may be that your body has reached a plateau from the same workout, and changing the resistance level during cardio/ playing with the intensity/intervals and changing up the lifting routine may help. When I lift I like doing antagonist muscles together, for example, so I can go back and forth without rest and make it a more cardiovascular workout (when your bicep is contracted, your tricep has to relax to not tear, so they can rest during the bicep curls...sorry does that make sense?) So you can change it up and do chest/back, bi's/tri's, shoulders/abs, and a leg day (during which for ex you can alternate quads/hams, glutes/calves, abd/add)...just a couple suggestions! :) Hope it's helpful!
  • I'll have to try that acureese, because I switch up my cardio, but not my weights, and I'm just scared if I eat more I'll gain weight... Thanks to everyone that's given me advice.
  • stacyoct19
    stacyoct19 Posts: 187 Member
    i agree with changing things up a bit. you may need to, i guess, shock your body again? there could be a number of factors. i have heard that the last 10 to 15 lbs is the hardest to shed. don't give up, just try new things. and take a look at your calories... i'm thinking taking in a few more healthy calories will do the trick!

Good Luck!
  • Schula03
    Schula03 Posts: 171 Member
    Are you checking your portions?
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    I'll have to try that acureese, because I switch up my cardio, but not my weights, and I'm just scared if I eat more I'll gain weight... Thanks to everyone that's given me advice.

What's the worst that is going to happen if you try to eat more? You gain a pound or two. We're not talking about increasing it so much that you could gain much even if you did go up. However if you have gotten into starvation mode, you could see the scale start to go down. At least if you tried, you would know for sure.

Maybe we could gauge a little better if we knew how many calories you are burning. By just saying exercise or cardio, it doesn't tell us if you are burning 100 calories a day or 750. It makes a big difference. If you are burning 500 or more calories, 1200 calories isn't going to be enough and you could easily be starving yourself.
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Sweetie...you are not eating enough! 1200 to 1400 calories? Try cycling your calories a bit more. Try averaging 1400 and bump it up to 1800 or 1900 every 4th day and see what happens...do you want to diet like that forever?! You've told your body that's all it's going to get. Ever. No wonder it's rebelling! Stop telling your body it's going to starve and feed it for heaven's sake!
  • LOL I do eat, I try to eat pretty good, but maybe eating more healthier food, and smaller portions more frequently. Thanks everyone so much for the advice, it really does help me to hear from others. ;o)
This discussion has been closed.