I seem to go over on my Protien...Is that bad?

Options
:happy: I'm trying to do high protien and low carbs, but am still learning...I seem to go over (according to my Fitnesspal guideline) in protien by 30-50g... Any suggestions.?:smile:

Replies

• taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    suggestion: don't worry about it.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    MFP defaults for protein is too low so I wouldn't worry about it.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Go to your "My Home" and click the "Goals" tab. Click "Change Goals" at the bottom and choose "Custom". Change your macros to something more normal than MFP's defaults. Tah dah! Now your protein isn't showing as over!

(This took me a couple of weeks to find, but it makes MFP SO much more useful.)
  • FinallyFindingLisa
    Options
    Go to your "My Home" and click the "Goals" tab. Click "Change Goals" at the bottom and choose "Custom". Change your macros to something more normal than MFP's defaults. Tah dah! Now your protein isn't showing as over!

(This took me a couple of weeks to find, but it makes MFP SO much more useful.)

This!
  • fudgiemudge
    Options
    You actually need more protein than the recommendation in order to maintain muscle mass. So no worries. :smile:
  • ChuckInSuburbia
    Options
    It is possible, in extreme cases, to get sick from eating too much protein. Medically, it is called proteinosis, but is also known as "protein poisoning" or "rabbit starvation". The real cause isn't so much the protein as it is the lack of fats or carbohydrates. The body needs a certain amount of fats or carbs to be able to properly process the amino acids from protein-rich food. If too much protein is consumed in relation to other food, the blood can turn slightly alkali, and amino acids can build up in the body. In super-extreme cases, it can be deadly.

However, you would need to consume lean meat almost exclusively in order to fall into dangerous territory. One "rule of thumb" I have seen is to eat no more than 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass per day. e.g., I am a 5'6" male, so my LBM is about 144 lb. I try not to eat more than 140g of protein in a day.
  • nancyakeane
    Options
    Thank you so much for the insight. I love MFP. thank you:flowerforyou:
  • nancyakeane
    Options
    :smile: Thank you...I did this and customized it better. Thank you...