crzy cheap food dish i eat everyday... safe? nutritious?

Options
um, i've been making this little meal thing, and... it's all i eat. Ever. I am serious, at work I have a sub sandiwch for lunch, and then i come home and make this dish. OH and popcorn!! I eat that too

So here it is:
--few oz of brown rice, pre-cooked
--few oz of chili beans
--few oz of spinach from a can
--was using half can of tuna, about 2.5 oz, but worried about too much mercury? so now i'm using a few oz of chunk chicken
--various spices, usually some taco bell taco seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, pinch of salt, dab of hot sauce, splash of apple cider vinegar

mix it up, microwave, it's a meal, costs... eh, 50 cents? 70 cents? It's really cheap NAD OMG SO GOOD but is this healthy?

Replies

• loseweightjames
    Options
    and... honestly, i was thinking, hey maybe get a pizza today, haven't had pizza in ages..... but then i was like, but... pizza doesn't taste as good as this.... yeah, idk, somehow this is delicious. Better with white rice, but white rice has no nutritional value, brown rice is a little good for you i think
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    if this works for you, stick with it. Really sounds yummy. get some veggies into your day and some fruit to balance your day.. Sounds yummy!
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Have you logged it into MFP to see what values it has? That's a good indicator.
  • loseweightjames
    Options
    Have you logged it into MFP to see what values it has? That's a good indicator.

looks like it's prolly 600 calories so yeah, not low. Red beans and rice are not as low in calories as sir mix a lot would have you believe....
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    You've got a grain, bean, meat and veggie in there so it's certainly not unhealthy. You probably need more variety (esp with veggies and fruit) the rest of the day though.

If 600 is a lot of calories to fit in your day, why not cut down portions and bulk it up with low-cal veggies like broccoli or cauliflower?
  • emnk5308
    Options
    Only issue I'd see is Mercury.. =) I eat a lot of the same things over and over again.. Money is an issue for me, that is why I do it..
  • Jmbean84
    Jmbean84 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Omg, this sounds so yummy! I love cheap thrown together dishes. They are always the best! Aside from the high mercury that you mentioned, I think if you have the 600 cals by dinner, then go for it..if not, just maybe cut your portions in half. Also, they sell packets of salmon near the tuna at the store, if you like salmon, that would be something you could maybe try. Other than that, enjoy! Whatever you have been doing, is working. You are sexy as hell!
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    If everything is boxed/canned I'd be worried about sodium content.

Also, not getting a variety of vegetables and fruits can leave you lacking nutritionally but as long as this isn't the only think you're eating all day, I wouldn't see a problem with it.
  • AmandaTWaH
    AmandaTWaH Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I would suggest mixing in some fresh fruit and veggies as a snack or maybe even a green smoothie if that is more your style. You may want to check the sodium as well because it sounds like you could be taking in a lot.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    If you don't get bored of it, go ahead and keep eating it.

I'd check the sodium count though. Canned stuff is surprisingly scary for that.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious!! Totally safe and nutritious.

600 calories isn't bad, you need some energy!

I bet it is better than pizza haha .

Yum
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    It looks okay. Got a bit of everything and not too bad calorie wise. If it works, go for it.

Personally, I have gone through phases where I eat the same thing everyday until I'm sick of it! Even now, I eat the same 3-4 dinner meals every week and pretty much the same breakfast...and it works for me!
  • gmichaelguy
    gmichaelguy Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I can't believe so many of you think this sounds yummy. If you like it, then be my guest. I'm sure I eat somethings that many people dislike, but this sounds disgusting to me. Sounds like it is high in calories for the nutrient value.

Find what works for you and stick to it.
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Eeee. OK... Well from an everyday perspective it's ok-ish though spending a little bit more time with prep to use fresh ingredients would probably be better nutritionally. I'd cook some chicken tenderloins (bake/grill) and then chop them up (or food processor??) and refrigerate in pre-portioned zip lock bags. Spinach? Occasionally the canned stuff is OK but unless specified it's usually cooked in salt. I'd use baby spinach. If you're a rice eater then great, the brown rice is certainly a better option. Perhaps beans that haven't been cooked in a bunch of salt and artificial stuff could improve this (especially if you're adding spices) but they taste good so I can't blame you. I would suggest maybe adding in veggies and changing it up occasionally. Grilled peppers, onions and mushrooms taste phenomenal and would probably be great in a dish like this. Again, all of this stuff can be pre-prepared so you can grab and go.
  • loseweightjames
    Options
    I can't believe so many of you think this sounds yummy. If you like it, then be my guest. I'm sure I eat somethings that many people dislike, but this sounds disgusting to me. Sounds like it is high in calories for the nutrient value.

I.... actually agree, it sounds gross. I can't explain it..... maybe it's like when dogs sometimes eat grass? maybe this is my grass :D
  • Jmbean84
    Jmbean84 Posts: 261 Member
    Options

I.... actually agree, it sounds gross. I can't explain it..... maybe it's like when dogs sometimes eat grass? maybe this is my grass :D

Dogs eat grass to settle upset stomachs. Lol and mine usually vomits after eating the grass. So maybe that wasn't the best comparison...