Fat loss: The Methods are Many, The Principles Few

Options
This should be required reading around here.

http://www.andrewgriffinfitness.com/fat-loss-the-methods-are-many-the-principles-few/

snip:
Where the confusion lies

Some popular methods en vogue these days are Low-carb diets, The Paleo Diet, and Intermittent Fasting, just to name a few. Now, these can also be looked at as “lifestyles” rather than diets but many people use them primarily as a way to lose fat. Also, I want to mention that these diets (as well most others) purport to have specific health benefits to those that adhere to them aside from losing fat. However, for the purpose of this article I am going to ignore those aspects, as it would require a far longer discussion as to the validity of the claims made.

Personally, I have no problem with individuals following any of the methods listed above if it allows them to successfully reach their goals. The issue I have is with the tendency of adherents to specific diets to almost uniformly assert that the reason why they lost fat was because they went low-carb, started following a paleo diet, or a vegetarian diet for that matter. Following the tenets of any of these three diets was not why you lost weight; it was simply the method by which you did so.

And as a secondary reading to this topic:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/all-diets-work-the-importance-of-calories.html

Replies

• AddA2UDE
    Options
    Your chosen "diet" (read: chosen method) is not the WHY of your weight-loss, it's just the HOW.

Great post Sublog! Thanks.
  • jenneal89
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Great post! As long as you're sticking with what you're doing and it suits your tastes, needs... You will have success.
  • Nina2503
    Nina2503 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Great post! As long as you're sticking with what you're doing and it suits your tastes, needs... You will have success.

^^^^^ this! if it works for you then keep doing it !
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I knew this would be good when I saw who posted it. Great stuff.
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Great post. Thank you
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Bump just because everyone should read this.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    but, but, but...

Ok,

angry-you-win-this-time!.png
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    As usual, great post
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Great ty
  • small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Haha, I posted a status concerning the paleo diet along these same lines just yesterday - great minds :happy:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Good post as always.
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Required reading, yep :drinker:
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Nice to see someone posting something real around here! Nice one Sub...
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I guess I should be paying more attention to this poster. Excellent post.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    exactly...low carb, paleo, primal, vegan, IF, etc, didn't MAKE you lose weight, you ATE BELOW MAINTENANCE while eating in your chosen style, that's all!
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    Thanks for the post, great read.
  • Juliann4k9
    Juliann4k9 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Awesome post Sublog!
  • ElleBee66
    ElleBee66 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    This should be required reading around here.

http://www.andrewgriffinfitness.com/fat-loss-the-methods-are-many-the-principles-few/

snip:
    Where the confusion lies

Some popular methods en vogue these days are Low-carb diets, The Paleo Diet, and Intermittent Fasting, just to name a few. Now, these can also be looked at as “lifestyles” rather than diets but many people use them primarily as a way to lose fat. Also, I want to mention that these diets (as well most others) purport to have specific health benefits to those that adhere to them aside from losing fat. However, for the purpose of this article I am going to ignore those aspects, as it would require a far longer discussion as to the validity of the claims made.

Personally, I have no problem with individuals following any of the methods listed above if it allows them to successfully reach their goals. The issue I have is with the tendency of adherents to specific diets to almost uniformly assert that the reason why they lost fat was because they went low-carb, started following a paleo diet, or a vegetarian diet for that matter. Following the tenets of any of these three diets was not why you lost weight; it was simply the method by which you did so.

And as a secondary reading to this topic:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/all-diets-work-the-importance-of-calories.html

I agree wholeheartedly with this. I personally originally gave up wheat and sugar and then discovered I was doing some form of Paleo/Primal/low carb yadda yadda. But basically I cut out bread, cake, biscuits (cookies), chocolate bars etc - I don't worry about sugar in fruit and stuff like that. But my experience of having lost quite a lot of weight (around 75 lbs) is that people really don't want to be told that the reason I lost weight is that I ate less food. Which, of course, is the reason! I find people think I am being smart-*kitten* no matter how politely I try to put it.

I feel it irritates people that it is so simple. They WANT it to be more complicated.