Good calorie burn monitor?

Options
Hey everyone, I have been looking for a good calorie burning monitor, but they either want to be really expensive, only available online (I would like it for this weeks workouts) or require a chest strap which I am not comfortable wearing (tried a borrowed one so the size might have been off). What I really want is something simple, not too expensive (not over 100), available at a retail store that will just simply tell me how many calories I burned during a particular workout, as some of the workouts I do are not necessarily listed on this wonderful program, or I just haven't found them yet:) Thanks everyone!!!

Replies

• AmandaTWaH
    AmandaTWaH Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I've been looking around online for the same thing. Target has a ton of great heart rate monitors that will tell you how many calories you are burning for around $50-80. Polar is really popular but most people have told me any of the ones available at Target for $50+ work well.
  • emilymoxey
    Options
    I tried cheaper alternative versions (without a chest strap) and found they were completely inaccurate and would constantly stop working during a work out .. and I tried many. The reality is the best way to determine your heart rate is by having the direct contact with your heart - it just gives you a much more accurate picture.

If you do decide to try out the one with a strap I highly recommend the polar FT4 http://www.****ssportinggoods.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=4417740

I bought mine at ****s sporting goods and have used it almost daily. Fantastic and accurate too! (eventually you don't even notice you're wearing it and it can extend to lots of different sizes).
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I use Endomondo & a Zephyr HxM Bluetooth heart rate monitor to track my cardio for me. Its a pretty nice combo since App uses the Heart rate monitor when I sync it.
  • Brendajo510
    Options
    I would agree that anything cheap without a chest strap is not going to be accurate. Personally, the first time I tried a chest strap one, I hated it. I felt trapped and my heart beat increased. But then I used it while working out. I don't even notice the strap. The watch can get annoying when I do push ups, but that's about it. I use a Pyle Sports Heart Rate Monitor Watch. Its cheap (around $20 on amazon) and odd (weight in Kg, but really its not that hard to covert your weight). But it does have the chest strap.