Ditching WW to try going it alone

Options
2»

Replies

• nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    WW worked for me years ago... but I had to carry the lil book around everywhere (this was before the online tracking took off). I did eat a lot of their pre-packaged foods though so t was probably that more than anything. I went off it, gained it back and 2nd time around it just flopped. I came to MFP because it's free, no one tries selling you stuff (it's against the rules), you make great, supportive friends you can be accountable with and once you start to scrutinize your meals and workout, you really catch on. I love the tracking here. I have tried stopping and it doesn't work, I need the food diary otherwise there is no accountability. I swear by my kitchen scales. Good luck... MFP is a great way to go. Throw yourself in the deep end!!!
  • Masq
    Masq Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I lost about 25 pounds on WW .... in 10+ YEARS. Granted, I didn't follow it faithfully all of the time.... I really would like to have that money back that I spent with them. :huh: The final straw was the points plus.... it just didn't click with me.

So I ditched them around May of this year and I'm very happy with MFP! I love that it syncs to my phone and fitbit, I love that it's free, and I love the friends I have made here.

Feel free to add me... I log everyday and am supportive.
    :flowerforyou:
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    oh my gosh! Thank you!!! I got more feedback in 5 minutes here than I did my entire meeting this morning! :bigsmile:

There's lots of good sites for losing weight "the right way". This happens to be one of them. There's also good support on Sparkpeople.com and Livestrong, apparently. I've never really gone to Livestrong except to read articles. And I don't like Spark's Food tracker. This site is good. I've made alot of friends through the forums.
  • letsgetserious
    letsgetserious Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!!!! Yes you will get a lot of support here!!!!!

Feel free to friend me if you wish... we can do this together!!!!
  • Gabster25
    Options
    I did the same thing a few months ago. Left WW to do this, since it was free and my sister turned me on to it. The money I saved on the WW fee I now use for my gym membership so that I can do Zumba classes and work out 3 - 4 times per week. I have lost some weight and I am finding MFP easier, because I just look at the straight up calories and count. The bar code scanner is also a lot better on MFP than WW. It seems to have everything, including generic brands of food. I have been doing this for about 5 weeks now and have lost 5 pounds. Better than the up and down a pound every week at WW.
  • babingler
    babingler Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm new here too, been to WW and everywhere else. Hang in there - WW was a good fit at one point in your life, now onward and upward. I have a few friends that love this. Good luck!
  • bluedecor
    Options
    @Railr0aderTon: Don't shortchange yourself, 87 pounds lost since January isn't doing pretty well - it's terrific progress!
  • heatherAnnXOX
    heatherAnnXOX Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    i'm scared to stop WW. been doing that since May 2011 and this site since like June 2011. didn't do this as much until after january. i only do WW online. went to one meeting and honestly, i didn't really hear anything i didn't already know. and i don't really need any stickers, thanks though. this is my second time doing WW [started it in 09 for a while but lost my job at the time and needed to save monies] and i think i am just dependent on it, or at least i just think that i am. but the thought of not counting points freaks me out ha. i still have almost 20 lbs to go. i keep saying that i am going to stop WW and try just MFP for a couple months. i need to stop saying it and just freakin' do it. ugh but honestly, it truly scares me to be without my points lmao.
  • Alicia7519
    Options
    Another WW dropout here. I have joined WW at least four times.The most I have every lost by going to WW was 35 pounds. I don't like the point system. I would rather keep the food diary. I like to use Sparkpeople as a reference for how to do exercises and for recipes. I like MFP because it is simple, and it's easy to log your food intake and exercise in the diaries.
  • Jalare
    Jalare Posts: 103
    Options
    I joined WW online a couple of times but keeping track of my food diary and the points was too cumbersome to me. Even though I hated tracking my food, I needed to know my calorie intake, so I decided to give MFP a try. I love this site, I love the app on my phone, and I've met some really nice people here. MFP goes with me everywhere! Give it a try, you might like it. But don't just try it, explore it. There's a lot more here than what you see at first glance.
  • Brendajo510
    Options
    I really like MFP because it does teach you how to eat in the future. Its a lifestyle change, not a point system.