Lifting newbie

Options
I have joined a gym as everyone has said for a better shape I need to start lifting weights. I literally have no idea where to start. Can any girls give me some starting points?? The trainers are booked up till next week and want to start now!!

Replies

• Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Love to know too!
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I need to know, too, I'm ready to start lifting. I want some pointers, I'll be stalking this thread!
  • steph2331
    Options
    Anyone?
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Look up a program like Stronglifts. Then, look at Rippetoe's YouTube videos for proper form for those lifts.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    This topic comes up a thousand times a day. You can find novels of information with a search. Basic summary is that there are tons of beginner/intermediate programs out there like Starting Strength, New Rules Of Lifting, 5/3/1, Stronglifts, and so many more. Any of them are good. Maybe do a search on the specific names and see which ones appeal to you.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Only read the OP. Am wasted. I bet if you check out this link you wont be disappointed http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners
  • steph2331
    Options
    This topic comes up a thousand times a day. You can find novels of information with a search. Basic summary is that there are tons of beginner/intermediate programs out there like Starting Strength, New Rules Of Lifting, 5/3/1, Stronglifts, and so many more. Any of them are good. Maybe do a search on the specific names and see which ones appeal to you.

I find that quite unhelpful really, if you cared to read properly I was after advice from girls, any maybe advice that actually will help and not meaningless words that give me no starting point what so ever but thanks for posting :)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

I find that quite unhelpful really, if you cared to read properly I was after advice from girls, any maybe advice that actually will help and not meaningless words that give me no starting point what so ever but thanks for posting :)

I apologize, I didn't realize that only women have any amount of knowledge on lifting. How silly of me!

As for your complaining about not giving you a starting point, now you're being the silly one. If you do EXACTLY WHAT I SAID, you'd find plenty of information. Search on one of the terms such as Starting Strength. Oh look, 50 pages of forum posts on the topic. I'm sure there's lots more than that, the board must cut off at 50. Or perhaps, Google it! I'm not sure if you've ever heard of it, but if you go to google.com you can search for things on the entire internet. Amazing the technology they have these days.

If you have some sort of mental hangup and refuse to read posts made by men, just pretend that my wife borrowed my account and wrote this.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

The advice is _very good_. Unless you're looking for information on barbell kegels, I really don't understand the sexism.

He provided the names of FOUR good, popular lifting programs. What more do you want? Someone to fly to your house and give a powerpoint presentation?
  • CountDown321
    CountDown321 Posts: 117 Member
    Options

The advice is _very good_. Unless you're looking for information on barbell kegels, I really don't understand the sexism.

He provided the names of FOUR good, popular lifting programs. What more do you want? Someone to fly to your house and give a powerpoint presentation?

True, lol.

Anyway, maybe the fact that I agree will help, and I do in fact have my very own vagina.

I personally LOVE Starting Strength and have made what I feel are great increases from it. In 4 months I was able to lift more weight than I ever imagined I was capable of. Some women like Stronglifts because they dont want to push as much weight as quickly. Starting Strength is less reps and bigger weight increases, Stronglifts is more sets and somewhat lesser increases. Both are great programs, and honestly as someone that had never lifted before, I doubted that I could do them and that they would be effective for me.

Remember, lifting is best done as compound exercises (aka using barbells and NOT MACHINES.) Lifting should be difficult and take concentration. Lifting will make you sore and make you hurt, thats GOOD. Being sore doesn't mean you need to do less, take time off or skip a workout. The best cure for soreness from exercise is MORE EXERCISE.

Good luck
  • steph2331
    Options
    Well from bein a total novice I presumed it would be better to take advice from a woman because a guess a 120 lb women like myself would probably do things differently than a guy but hey I'll just use google thanks anyway
  • CountDown321
    Options
    Well from bein a total novice I presumed it would be better to take advice from a woman because a guess a 120 lb women like myself would probably do things differently than a guy but hey I'll just use google thanks anyway

But thats what some of us are trying to explain, no, beginner programs are beginner programs. Doesnt matter whats in your pants.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Pick up some cute like pink dumbbells and just hold them while you walk on the treadmill and read your magazine.

I wasn't going to reply facetiiously until I saw you **** all over the good information that people were kind enough to present. So, there you go.
  • CountDown321
    Options
    Also, one more comment, don't use a gym's personal trainers. They're going to give you a routine using a machine, random crunch modifications using dumbbells or medicine balls, and then stick you on a cardio machine. You need compound lifting if you are wanting real improvement and change.
  • MSimm62385
    Options
    Also, one more comment, don't use a gym's personal trainers. They're going to give you a routine using a machine, random crunch modifications using dumbbells or medicine balls, and then stick you on a cardio machine. You need compound lifting if you are wanting real improvement and change.

Funny...I've never used a personal trainer before, but at LA Fitness I see trainers carting people all around the free weights area, making them use the dumbells, barbells, do lunges, etc.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options

Funny...I've never used a personal trainer before, but at LA Fitness I see trainers carting people all around the free weights area, making them use the dumbells, barbells, do lunges, etc.

Like many things it is not true 100% of the time, but a lot of the time. At my gym I see trainers having people do curls standing on bosu balls with 5 lb weights, myself and my wife have both had them bring a trainee to lay in the floor directly behind where we are standing to do deadlifts\barbell rows\power cleans. Two trainers arguing over the finer points of stance for a novice to be using for tricep cable push downs while never having them touch a barbell...
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    You've gotten some good replies. I think you should take the advice from the men, too. No reason you shouldn't be lifting like a man, IMO. That's what I do. Check into those links, maybe buy the book New Rules of Lifting for Women. I don't follow any of those programs, but I know lots of people who do, and they're doing great.

I'll give you one other little tidbit, and you can take it or leave it. You need to eeeaaase into weight training. Lots of people go in with no experience and just lift until their arms are about to fall off. You will get SORE--even if you don't do a whole lot. My advice (from my own personal experience) is to use your first month to learn proper form, experiment with different exercises, and don't push yourself to your utmost limit....that's only for the first few weeks though.

After that, it needs to be ON!! Give 100% EVERY TIME, push yourself, lift as HEAVY as you can with proper form, and maintain intensity throughout your entire workout. Good luck girl. :flowerforyou:
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options

Like many things it is not true 100% of the time, but a lot of the time. At my gym I see trainers having people do curls standing on bosu balls with 5 lb weights, myself and my wife have both had them bring a trainee to lay in the floor directly behind where we are standing to do deadlifts\barbell rows\power cleans. Two trainers arguing over the finer points of stance for a novice to be using for tricep cable push downs while never having them touch a barbell...

Depends on the trainer, and the client. My hubby is a trainer, and he trains most of his clients hardcore, but some of them don't WANT that...it IS a business after all. He also told me that some trainers avoid heavy compound lifts for fear of their clients getting injured and ditching them, or worse, sueing them. Like everything, it just depends on the actual individual person.