NEW TO MFP: Seeking ideas for foods

Options

Replies

• TheRealMrsMetro
    TheRealMrsMetro Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I love Emilybites.com! I made a bubble-up enchilada casserole that my husband LOVES! Laaloosh is also wonderful. Do not make the crockpot chicken cacciatore. YUCK! The crockpot beef stew was good. I just cooked 2 pounds of lean stew meat (in order to have lots of leftovers), 1 regular can of 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup, 1 pkg Lipton Onion Soup mix, lots of sliced mushrooms (any kind will do), 1 14-oz. can of beef broth or 1 can of diet 7up, black pepper and garlic to taste and left it on low while I was at work. Serve it with brown rice or egg noodles and a green salad. Voila! Dinner is served.
  • HockeyFan1987
    Options
    Thank you all! :) feel free to add me too :)
  • valeriejean1407
    Options
    sparkrecipes.com also has great healthy recipes... also an app for iphone and smart phones :) my favorite is the honey garlic pork chops with almond green beans. yumm :)
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    My favourite meal is

5 minute rice (about 3/4 cup uncooked)
    Frozen oriental vegetable mix
    Shrimp

Stir fry about 1.5 cups of the Frozen oriental vegetable mix, add Shrimp (from a shrimp ring for example).
    Cook your rice.

Top rice with veg/shrimp stir fry - add soy sauce. Enjoy!

Low calorie, filling and its like chinese food :D
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    Shirataki noodles. A packet is filling, bulks up a meal, and has 0 calories. Brilliant.

0 calories? How is that possible? What is this miracle food?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    No food increases your metabolism but lean meats like steak have great thermodynamic effects. Lean meats > carb based meals.

Paleo salmon.

Mix in bowl
    2 tbsp of lime juice
    2 tbsp of cilantro
    1/4 cup of red onion
    1/2 a nectarine or peach (cut in slices)

Place peaches on salmon, coat with cilinatro mix. Cook for 15 minutes at 425 °
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Try experiencing meals from different cultures... a great (free) website would be www.recipesource.com - pick a country, any country, you will find it!

Lots of great ideas there..
  • TroJon
    TroJon Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    ^Testosterone
    ^Lean muscle tissue
    \/ Fat
    ^Tone

Broccoli
    Asparagus
    Celery
  • sandlerlover
    sandlerlover Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    bump
  • HockeyFan1987
    Options
    No food increases your metabolism but lean meats like steak have great thermodynamic effects. Lean meats > carb based meals.

Paleo salmon.

Mix in bowl
    2 tbsp of lime juice
    2 tbsp of cilantro
    1/4 cup of red onion
    1/2 a nectarine or peach (cut in slices)

Place peaches on salmon, coat with cilinatro mix. Cook for 15 minutes at 425 °

Actually: No food lowers your metabolism because if you don't eat you're starving yourself forcing your body to go into starvation mode, that doesn't increase your metabolism at all
  • HockeyFan1987
    Options
    Turkey Joes - Crockpot
    Ingredients:
    • 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
    • 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    • 4 oz. tomato sauce
    • 2 pounds ground turkey breast
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
    • 1/2 cup chili sauce
    • 1 small onion, diced
    • 1/4 cup cold water
    Directions:
    • In a skillet, heat oil in pan. Add ground turkey breast and onion; cooking until turkey is no longer pink.
    • In Crockpot, add taco seasoning, tomato sauce, ground pepper, chili sauce, and cold water.
    • Stir in drained turkey mixture.
    • Cover and cook on low heat for 4-5 hours.
    • Serve on whole grain bread or bun if have for lunch. No bread or carbs at dinner time so serve over lettuce

Buffalo Wing Turkey Burgers
    Ingredients:
    • 1 pound ground turkey breast
    • 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
    • 1 teaspoon onion powder
    • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    • pinch of salt
    • pinch of ground pepper
    • 1 red bell pepper, diced
    • 1 sweet onion, diced
    • 1/4 cup red hot wing sauce
    Directions:
    • Mix ground turkey breast, zucchini, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt and ground pepper.
    • Put some olive oil in a frying pan and get the pan warm. Make 4 thin burgers and add to the pan. Toss in red peppers and onions. Add wing sauce and cook; flipping patties when browned.
    • Serve over lettuce leafs.

Thank you for this! I will definitely look into making both of these :)
  • HockeyFan1987
    Options
    Attention All: I just found this site earlier this evening - it lists some great stuff that you can buy to eat to help boost your metabolism and lose weight. It also has a link on there of what foods to avoid when trying to lose weight.

Here you go everyone:
    http://www.nowloss.com/Weight_Loss_foods.htm
  • jnrinwa
    jnrinwa Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Attention All: I just found this site earlier this evening - it lists some great stuff that you can buy to eat to help boost your metabolism and lose weight. It also has a link on there of what foods to avoid when trying to lose weight.

Here you go everyone:
    http://www.nowloss.com/Weight_Loss_foods.htm

No food actually increases your metabolic rate. Some stuff helps burn a few more calories (stuff containing fiber) due to the inability to process it, but in the end it will not increase weight loss or fat loss. There are only two things that legitimately increase your metabolic rate; more lean body mass (aka gaining muscle) and weight training (your metabolism increases in order to repair tissue).
  • HockeyFan1987
    Options
    No food actually increases your metabolic rate. Some stuff helps burn a few more calories (stuff containing fiber) due to the inability to process it, but in the end it will not increase weight loss or fat loss. There are only two things that legitimately increase your metabolic rate; more lean body mass (aka gaining muscle) and weight training (your metabolism increases in order to repair tissue).

Sorry psulemon, but I'm not going to simply stop eating to lose weight, it's unhealthy and it doesn't work. Believe me, I've gone that route before... I refuse to starve myself. Now if you're going to continue advising myself as well as everyone that reads this thread to not eat, then please stop posting. I don't need the negativity and I'm sure nobody else wants it either.

Thanks
  • joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/

also sign up for the email newsletter, they send you tons of great recipes
  • HockeyFan1987
    Options
    http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/

also sign up for the email newsletter, they send you tons of great recipes

Thanks Joe, I'll make sure to do that :) feel free to add me bud
  • Crisitunity
    Crisitunity Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am currently following a raw, vegan meal plan (short term, giving it a shot!) and it is working wonders for me. There is one salad recipe in there which I adore and will absolutely continue to work into my regular eating when I am done with this plan.

3 cups of greens (whatever your favourite lettuce is)
    1/3 cup sauerkraut
    2 tbsp seeds or nuts
    1/2 cup sprouts if you want them (whichever is your favourite)

For the dressing - 1 part apple cider vinegar, 1 part miso (I am using white miso paste, but I don't see why a powder packet would not work), 2 parts extra virgin olive oil, 1 tsp of fresh minced/shredded ginger, a bit of soy sauce (or shoyu), dash of pepper.

So amazing.
  • mom2handh1975
    mom2handh1975 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I love using my grill. I make a ton of boneless/skinless chicken breasts to eat throughout the week. I ADORE grilling shrimp! I sprinkle them with a barbecue flavored seasoning (or hot and spicy), put them on skewers and grill away. You can eat a bunch of those! I'm one of those people who find that I feel better with more protein in my diet. There are tons of great sites online, and you can use the recipe builder here on MFP to find out how some of your favorite recipes fare. It takes a little time, but I have found it to be a very useful tool. You can add me as a friend if you like:-)
  • psuLemon
    Options

Sorry psulemon, but I'm not going to simply stop eating to lose weight, it's unhealthy and it doesn't work. Believe me, I've gone that route before... I refuse to starve myself. Now if you're going to continue advising myself as well as everyone that reads this thread to not eat, then please stop posting. I don't need the negativity and I'm sure nobody else wants it either.

Thanks

At what point in any of my post did i even mention that you should stop eating? I am just saying foods do NOT speed up your metabolism. You might want to search around for my post... i am a huge advocate for eating a lot of calories (20% below tdee) and weight training in order to preserve your lean body mass. But i also believe in ensuring people get correct information which is why i said NO food speed up your metabolism.