Losing weight with PCOS

Options
Hi I am finding losing weight with PCOS to be a challenge. Since April 2012 I have lost a total of 50.5 pounds but feel that I should be losing more due to the size I am and the work I am putting in. It's seems like a battle to lose just one pound and sometimes I feel exhausted and overspent. I currently work out 5 days a week Monday-Friday and sometimes 6 days a week, my daily goal is to hit 60-70 minutes of cardio and burn no less than 650 calories using the treadmill, elliptical or stationary bike. I do strength training along with cardio about 3 times a week. I am no longer taking any vitamins because I had undesired results to the 2 brands I was as taking.

I would just like to hear good news from somebody that has successfully achieved their weight loss goals with PCOS without using any special medications. What did you do, eat, etc? I have 138.5 pounds to lose and a long way to go so some encouragement along the way wouldn't hurt.

I stick to 1500-1600 calories daily any lower and I feel extremely weak and tired

Replies

• red051683
    red051683 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I don't like hearing you are feeling weak & tired.. Your body is telling you something!!!!

Have you thought about THIS: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I did it, and was very scared at first, but I have more energy & I don't regret it. I may tweak it here and there (I did today), but I'm doing much better and have more energy for my family & young son with more calories. My deficit was around 500, which 'should' have me losing over a pound a week (but I'm having something weird going on), and now my deficit is 700, which takes me just under 2lbs.

Worth a shot? :) I can help if you need to input your info.
  • Can you unlock your diary so that I can see it?

It is really important to do low-carb if you have PCOS because of insulin resistance. I've had excellent luck with that.

I keep my carbs under 50 grams per day and my protein above 80 grams per day.

You can look at my diary to see what I eat. I generally eat the same things most days. I had weight loss surgery, so you can eat more calories than I do. But I would keep it around 1200.

Feel free to message me if you'd like.
  • arielleblair
    Options
    Losing weight with PCOS is hard, I lost all I needed to once, with cardio and keeping my calories down to 1200 per day, like previously stated, low carb. A lot of recommended diets to me were low GI diets which are extremely helpful for those of us with insulin resistance. I've been trying to lose my baby weight for almost a year now, and I wasn't at my finest when I got pregnant so even though I'm down almost 50 pounds, I have another 30 to lose before I'm back to feeling me. I understand that you feel weak and tired (and yes I'm sure consulting a DR would help). My nutritionist said that the first week is always the hardest with having such low calorie intake, with the headaches and the constant hunger.
  • beautifulstorm7
    Options
    wow I would love to read your diary. you are the first person I have met that has lost weight with success with PCOS
  • astina2727
    astina2727 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, and when changed my lifestyle completely i started the vegan lifestyle...since i had moved to a new state by myself my roommate was vegan and i decided i would do it as well...i lost 50 lbs doing it along with walking 3 miles a day. i lost all of that in 2 months it was insane. I had some things happen and i moved back home where no one i know is vegan ): for myself it is to hard to do it alone so i just live normal (to me i guess lol) it is possible if you put your heart and soul into it and i know you can do it...oh and i gained it all back and 20 more lbs great right. so now i am just counting calories and enjoying my new way of life.