Help me understand please!

Options
Hi - I've just started MFP up again after reaching my goal weight last year and now realising that it'd been creeping up again. I'm still well within what I deem a healthy weight and am just looking to lose 3.5kg (7lb) to get back to my feel-good weight again (I'm 1m66 and want to get back to 65kg).

Anyhow, so MFP has calculated my calorie goal at 1390, which is a push for me (as in low!), but I've been sticking to it (+/- 50 cals) and ... well, I've apparently lost 1.5kg in 3 days (so 1lb a day). I'm obviously happy at the quick results, but slightly bemused. I've got it set to 1lb a week loss, lightly active, no working out.

What could I have got wrong?! I'm drinking the same as usual, am a stay-at-home mum, don't work out (aside from chasing kids and the usual rushing about)... so, what do you make of it?

Replies

• Tainers
    Tainers Posts: 21
    Options
    my guess would be water weight....I had not gained but had changed my diet to add more carbs and sugars over the summer (essentially gave up the diet for the summer)....in the past 2 days of being back on my low cal low carb low sugar high protein diet I have lost 4 lbs.....first time around doctor said the intial massive quick loss is water!!!!
  • Mookz0r
    Mookz0r Posts: 143
    Options
    We'll see if it keeps on going/stays off! Don't feel (or look) like a shrivelled old prune yet, so fingers crossed!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    most likely water weight. When cutting calories you typically take in less carbs, cabs can make you retain water, less carbs, less water retention.

On my cut I was aiming for a loss of 0.5lbs/week and lost 2 in the first week due to this.
  • Tainers
    Options
    How are you doing now?....Just checking in!!!:)
  • Mookz0r
    Mookz0r Posts: 143
    Options
    How are you doing now?....Just checking in!!!:)

Thanks - it's much appreciated! :-D

The weight loss has definitely calmed down, but 10 days in, I've lost 2kg, which is the best part of 4lb, so still great as far as I'm concerned. Maybe I was simply retaining water... either way, feeling good! My goal is only to lose another 1.5kg, so if that happens over the next month, I'll be happy.