Just started running and...

Options
Reading all the posts and getting a little overwhelmed.

Proper form, fitted for running shoes, lean, stride, gait, mid-foot running???

I just wanna not DIE before I finish a mile! LOL

I always do this, it seems too huge a feat - like I am totally kidding myself that I will ever be able to do this. ME. Run? Pssssh...

Replies

• Mrscanmore
    Mrscanmore Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    And lot of running programs start out with walk/run. Depending on what kind of shape you are in, you can start out with run 1 min, walk 2 min and repeat 5 times. As you get better you can slowly increase you run time until you can do run 10 min walk one minute. Lots of long distance runners use this program for their long runs. Good luck!
  • befit7
    Options
    There are also running programs for beginners like the C25K :smile: These programs helps new runners to build up strength and endurance as they train and be able to run 5Ks in no time. They also have programs for 10K and 25K.
  • michellecrance
    michellecrance Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yes I am on a beginner's program that has me doing intervals. I did 2 min run 2 min walking for a mile today. I did it, it kicked my *kitten* but I did it!

I am not new to cardio but I am new to running and it's a lot harder!
  • befit7
    Options
    That's great!! Running is a lot harder for me too (shin splints). But you tried and you did it!! Just stay with it and don't give up. You will be running 5Ks in no time!!:happy:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    You sound like where I was at the end of January this year! Never been a runner, could walk, and walk fast, all day long, could do cardio like nobody's business - but run? Not me!

Then I started c25k. I didn't get fitted for shoes, but I did get a new pair around the second week. I went with a shoe that I've always been comfortable in (Asics for me!), and I had been just using them for my in the house workouts because they were new and pretty, and I'd use my older shoes for the outside stuff - that's what I had always done for walking. But I realized since the running was more serious, I had better have some new shoes that weren't all broken down!

Go slow. As slowly as you need to to get through each running interval. Slow jogging is still jogging! :bigsmile: Form, rhythm, speed - all that will come later. Just breathe, keep moving, and follow the program.

I went from being a complete non-runner to being able to complete the 5k distance by the 9th week! I amazed myself! LOL And I'm still running - 3 days a week, anywhere from 2 to 5 miles, depending on the day, how I feel, how hot it is outside, etc. And I love it!

Keep at it, it will get better! And so will you!
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Ok, so please don't take this to mean that running a mile isn't an accomplishment, because when you are starting out, it is. But if your goal is simply to run a mile a couple times a week, then quite stressing. So long as you go slow and build up gradually, you probably are not going to stress your body enough to do any serious damage.

But if you are serious about being a runner, and want to up your mileage without hurting yourself, yeah, you are going to have to pay attention to those things. Nothing to freak out over, but put the time into educating yourself. Like all things, what we get out of something is directly related to what we put into it.
  • Brendajo510
    Options
    I started C25K and love it. I like to walk my dog while I do it, which confuses him completely when I jog, walk, jog, walk, jog, walk. But it motivates me because he loves to go out for walks and he does much better than me. Good shoes are important and keeping hydrated. I adore listening to music while I go and make sure its upbeat music, slow songs are not great motivators.
  • michellecrance
    Options
    Ok, so please don't take this to mean that running a mile isn't an accomplishment, because when you are starting out, it is. But if your goal is simply to run a mile a couple times a week, then quite stressing. So long as you go slow and build up gradually, you probably are not going to stress your body enough to do any serious damage.

But if you are serious about being a runner, and want to up your mileage without hurting yourself, yeah, you are going to have to pay attention to those things. Nothing to freak out over, but put the time into educating yourself. Like all things, what we get out of something is directly related to what we put into it.

Oh no I am not a all offended and I know what you mean. Part of what I tend to do that leads me to giving up is looking TOO far down the line, getting overwhelmed and giving up which is why I am keeping my goals small right now.

Yes right now my goal is to be able to a run a mile without worrying someone will call the paramedics. But as my endurance builds, I do hope to pick it up to two miles and then three and then run my first ever 5K.

So I think that yes, eventually I will need to learn the finer points of running.

Today I am taking a small step by going out and getting properly fitted for shoes - I don't know how much they will be and I may have to wait a week or so to actually buy them depending on how much they are but I think actually going in there and taking this small step will do good things for me on a motivational level.
  • michellecrance
    Options
    I started C25K and love it. I like to walk my dog while I do it, which confuses him completely when I jog, walk, jog, walk, jog, walk. But it motivates me because he loves to go out for walks and he does much better than me. Good shoes are important and keeping hydrated. I adore listening to music while I go and make sure its upbeat music, slow songs are not great motivators.

I too have a dog who would LOVE to be taken outside! LOL At this point I am training for my mile in the gym on a treadmill as I think that as hard as it is for me, I don't need to throw in variables like weather and hills just yet. My plan is to start running outside when I can successfully run a mile on the treadmill. Baby steps! I ALWAYS try to do too much too fast and poop out on the whole damn thing!
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Running is easy, even cavemen did it :wink:

Proper fitting running shoes is key, an absolute must. after that, just go out and do it.

Follow a plan if you want, but it isn't needed. As to your stride, gait and foot strike...all that is subjective to the runner and very difficult to change, so don't worry about it, it will all come to you as you run more and more.

Start out SLOW, really SLOW, as if it feels like you are shuffling instead of running. Give yourself time to warm up ( The first mile or 2 for me are horrible!). As you start to move your body willl start to do what it is meant to do. Break your run into manageable increments...say .25 miles with out stopping, than increase it to .5 miles and so on, so you don;t feel discouraged that you couldn't run a full mile.

But most of all, just go out and run and Have fun with it!
  • michellecrance
    Options
    Running is easy, even cavemen did it :wink:

Proper fitting running shoes is key, an absolute must. after that, just go out and do it.

Follow a plan if you want, but it isn't needed. As to your stride, gait and foot strike...all that is subjective to the runner and very difficult to change, so don't worry about it, it will all come to you as you run more and more.

Start out SLOW, really SLOW, as if it feels like you are shuffling instead of running. Give yourself time to warm up ( The first mile or 2 for me are horrible!). As you start to move your body willl start to do what it is meant to do. Break your run into manageable increments...say .25 miles with out stopping, than increase it to .5 miles and so on, so you don;t feel discouraged that you couldn't run a full mile.

But most of all, just go out and run and Have fun with it!

Thanks so much! I agree with you (as a personal choice) not to follow a "plan" so to speak, at least not all hardcore and obsessively bc I do have the kind of personality that can get consumed and entirely obsessed with plans like that. So for now, I am on the treadmill for a full mile doing 2 min at 5mp (this is running for me but probably jogging to more advanced runners) and then 2 min at 3.5 mph at a moderate walking pace.

This method helped me to finish my mile yesterday at 16:33 (ugh pathetic, but I am working on improving that time!)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Don't compare yourself to others, we all progress at our own rates (quite often more quickly than we expected). The idea with running is that it should be fun and it should be natural.

Get yourself a decent pair of running shoes, wear comfortable clothes (preferably not cotton, look for something that will wick perspiration away), put one foot in front of the other and repeat as necessary.

When I started running a few years ago I could barely get around the block without feeling like I was going to die, I've worked my way up to half-marathon distances and (my wife thinks I'm insane) am considering a full marathon next May.

With the right training and a positive attitude you will amaze yourself.
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    That 16:33 really pathetic was faster than I could do a mile for years I started at a block and kept building slowly and walk jog mostly walk I am 64 and can do 4 or 5 miles at a time now but still in the 14s per mile so dont judge yourself and I think you should try some outside since I find it is much more fun and less boring out than in If you dont stress and worry and accept this running thing as what is fun and play and just do it you will be fine and look back at these days and smile at where you have gotten to faster longer
    go out and do what I do keep smiling wave at some people and have a blast
  • michellecrance
    Options
    That 16:33 really pathetic was faster than I could do a mile for years I started at a block and kept building slowly and walk jog mostly walk I am 64 and can do 4 or 5 miles at a time now but still in the 14s per mile so dont judge yourself and I think you should try some outside since I find it is much more fun and less boring out than in If you dont stress and worry and accept this running thing as what is fun and play and just do it you will be fine and look back at these days and smile at where you have gotten to faster longer
    go out and do what I do keep smiling wave at some people and have a blast

well when I was 50 lbs overweight I wouldn't have considered it pathetic either. I was also struggling to finish walking around the block. But since then I have lost that weight and I have been going to the gym every single day for 5 months - just not running. So I guess I stupidly assumed that the other cardio I had been doing would have at least helped my endurance and that running the mile wouldn't be SO hard.

On another note though, I guess I should be proud that I was able to finish a mile my first time running like EVER and that I didn't die lol
  • retrobaby
    retrobaby Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    In the words of Nike...Just do it!

Yes, there are a lot of factors that come into play if you are going to train for run long distances ...like the right shoe, your gait, etc.

But, if your goal is to run that 1 mile just focus on the finish of that mile. I remember when I ran my first mile and my goal was just to finish and still live afterwards. It didn't matter how long it took me I just wanted to finish.

Good Luck, and keep us posted when you do it:smile:
  • Boatergirl79
    Options
    Hi! I started running two years ago and I know EXACTLY what you are talking about! My advice: just put on the shoes you own and start running. If you end up loving it (I did!), then you can start listening to all those other crazy running things, like what you need, how to run, etc. Good luck! PS The first mile is always the worst...
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I am following the C25K, with a free app - Loving it. I am doing a complete week on the treadmill and then repeating in outside, I find outside harder and this way I know I can do it before I do it in public! It works for me. I would say the only thing you absolutly need to start are fitted shoes and a water bottle - Everything else can follow if and when you are ready - Oh and a phone just in case!!
    Most of all, give it a few weeks before you decide it is for you or not and Enjoy the burn :)
  • CharityD
    Options
    Start slow, work on your form. You can always go faster later. Your body will thank you for it.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Just take it one step at a time (pun intended!)

- Get the shoes. A good running store is where you need to be.
    - I suggest doing some leg strength stuff. Squats, lunges, leg lifts, crunches - add push up, planks and jumping jacks for a good work out.
    - Warm up for 5 minutes and stretch! Make sure you cool down and stretch too.
    - Make a goal. Sounds like a mile is working, keep doing it. Walk/run until you run it. Then go for 2. C25K is great if you are ready.
    - You can Google running form. Good form helps make you more efficient and maximize your oxygen intake as well as avoid some common injuries.
    - You can also Google running breathing - some people need help with that.

O yeah, and have fun.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    16:33 is great and it will get better. I used to be 32:00 per mile after I got sick. Concentrate on the time you spend running and not so much the mileage. Speed will come. It took me over a year to complete C25K - now that's pathetic.