cell phones and the gym

Options
I was so irritated tonight. I was at the gym on the elliptical, and a woman got on the elliptical next to me was on her cell phone. She talked very loudly on her phone the entire time I was working out. It was very busy, so I couldn't just change machines. I turned my music up on my Ipod, and I could still hear her. uhhhhggggg I just wanted to tell her to hang up her phone!!:mad:

Replies

• Cassaaaaandra
    Cassaaaaandra Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    You should have. Some people need a lesson in gym ettiquete.
  • BigdaddyJ
    BigdaddyJ Posts: 357
    Options
    You should have. Some people need a lesson in gym ettiquete.
    agreeded!
  • freedMan
    Options
    That might be annoying, but who cares... I would have told her that if she can workout on the elliptical and talk on the phone for a lengthy period of time, then she's obviously not working hard enough and perhaps she should leave so someone who wants to work hard can have her spot!
  • melissalynnlarue
    melissalynnlarue Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Yes, that IS annoying and unfortunate. I'm not the kind of person that can tell someone to hang up, BUT I would've kept shooting them dirty looks. :) But the poster above me is right: if they can work out and talk on the phone for a long time, they're not really *working out* and are just wasting the use of a machine that someone else could be using!
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Maybe it was an important phone call :wink:
  • tlapdx72
    tlapdx72 Posts: 311 Member
    Options

lol trust me it was not an important call :tongue:
  • elle23
    elle23 Posts: 19
    Options

If it was an important phone call she should have stepped aside and came back to the elliptical when she was finished. I really don't feel like you are working hard if you can hold a full phone conversation. Or if your phone doesn't stop working from water damage from the sweat rolling off your face.
  • elle23
    elle23 Posts: 19
    Options

If it was an important phone call she should have stepped aside and came back to the elliptical when she was finished. I really don't feel like you are working hard if you can hold a full phone conversation. Or if your phone doesn't stop working from water damage from the sweat rolling off your face.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I'm going to take the other side of the road here. Some people need to make their exercise experience "fun" for them. Me, I hate exercising. I do it because I have to. On days I really don't want to be at the gym, I take a book, sit on the recumbant bike, and go for an hour. It's not a hard workout, but it's better than none....

Maybe this person uses the phone the same way. You're all slamming her for being able to talk, but I can talk when I'm next to someone on a machine, with my heartrate still up 160-170 range (that I feel like talking to anyways). Maybe her loud voice is her normal voice, some people project much more than others. Would you be just as angry if this woman was talking to her friend on the other side of her, as you are that she was talking on a phone?

Sheesh, get a life people. There are irritants all over the place... The smelly guy who needed a shot of deoderant before getting on a machine next to you, the young girl who puts her machine at a level one and isn't even breaking a sweat, the woman talking on the phone. If you let every little thing get to you, it's going to be a long and angry life...
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I'm going to take the other side of the road here. Some people need to make their exercise experience "fun" for them. Me, I hate exercising. I do it because I have to. On days I really don't want to be at the gym, I take a book, sit on the recumbant bike, and go for an hour. It's not a hard workout, but it's better than none....

Maybe this person uses the phone the same way. You're all slamming her for being able to talk, but I can talk when I'm next to someone on a machine, with my heartrate still up 160-170 range (that I feel like talking to anyways). Maybe her loud voice is her normal voice, some people project much more than others. Would you be just as angry if this woman was talking to her friend on the other side of her, as you are that she was talking on a phone?

Sheesh, get a life people. There are irritants all over the place... The smelly guy who needed a shot of deoderant before getting on a machine next to you, the young girl who puts her machine at a level one and isn't even breaking a sweat, the woman talking on the phone. If you let every little thing get to you, it's going to be a long and angry life...

You sound a lot angrier than any other poster in this thread.

I don't care if people talk on the phone at the gym, as long as they're not disruptive and rude. There was a woman last week who was on the phone...and I could hear her FIVE machines away, under the club's speakers, WITH my headphones on. After 20 minutes of hearing every single thing about her life, yes, I asked her to please be quiet (and YES, I was polite). She gave me such a nasty attitude back. She told me to mind my own business, I told her "I can't, not when all I can hear is yours!" I mean, she was loud enough where other people were thanking me for saying something.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options

You sound a lot angrier than any other poster in this thread.

I don't care if people talk on the phone at the gym, as long as they're not disruptive and rude. There was a woman last week who was on the phone...and I could hear her FIVE machines away, under the club's speakers, WITH my headphones on. After 20 minutes of hearing every single thing about her life, yes, I asked her to please be quiet (and YES, I was polite). She gave me such a nasty attitude back. She told me to mind my own business, I told her "I can't, not when all I can hear is yours!" I mean, she was loud enough where other people were thanking me for saying something.

Nope, not angry... But sorry if the get a life comment sounded like that. I apologize.
  • BigdaddyJ
    BigdaddyJ Posts: 357
    Options

I'M sorry but i really dont agree with you....my cell is the extention of my right arm, everybody around me knows that! But theres a minimum of politeness to be had here...I work a job where i'm on call 7 days a week so I HAVE to take my cell with me at the gym, but if it rings i take it and go away from people that are training.

If this lady needs motivation to workout, she should find something that doensn't bother so many people. Cells are great and an important part of many people's lifes but i find that talking on a cell everywhere like your in your living room is really rude and unconsiderate.....really it's all over the place, gym, restaurant and even at the movies!!
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Its totally inconsiderate. A lady did that to me and I did tell her to hang up. She got off the machine and left. Its not OK to sit on a phone and talk while others are so close to you. I'm also sorry but unless you are the president of the US you do not need to answer or talk on your phone or blackberry or whatever else 24/7. A company will not fall apart just b/c you dont answer in 30 mins or less.
    If that is OK then is it OK to talk on your phone in a movie..I mean maybe that is the only way someone can watch a movie. What about a class room setting...and dont get me started with people who talk on their phones when they are getting checked out at grocery stores or other stores..I mean how rude is that to the person checking you out..
    Next time girl speak your mind. I also had to tell 3 old ladies in a spin class to shut up. They talked so loud the teacher kept turning up the music so they talked louder. Me at 30 had to tell these lil biddies to be quiet or leave..And when I mean talk I mean TALK!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options

I'M sorry but i really dont agree with you....my cell is the extention of my right arm, everybody around me knows that! But theres a minimum of politeness to be had here...I work a job where i'm on call 7 days a week so I HAVE to take my cell with me at the gym, but if it rings i take it and go away from people that are training.

If this lady needs motivation to workout, she should find something that doensn't bother so many people. Cells are great and an important part of many people's lifes but i find that talking on a cell everywhere like your in your living room is really rude and unconsiderate.....really it's all over the place, gym, restaurant and even at the movies!!

I am a waitress, don't even get me STARTED about people who are on the phone all the time in restaurants. I can't get ou off the phone for 5 minutes to order, but yet you complain of slow service. Get off the phone and I'll be more than happy to do my job!
  • Cassaaaaandra
    Cassaaaaandra Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Speaking of being a waitress and being annoyed about the person on the phone complaining of service...I'm a nurse and I work intensive care. Imagine me trying to do pt care with the "sickling" on the phone waisting space in the icu stealing a bed from someone who really needs it and jacking up healthcare costs for the rest of us. If you are well enough to be jabbering away on the phone....you need to be discharged to a "less intensive" unit.

I love my phone....but I can be away from it for awhile.
  • tlapdx72
    tlapdx72 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Great comments
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I work at the bank, and I can't tell you how many people are on the phone, and the tellers have to wait to ask them for their ID and how they want their cash back, and they can't be bothered cause they're yammering away... then folks complain about the wait in line. I once had a boss skip the person on the phone and help everyone else, and when the lady asked why she was skipped, he told her, Oh, well, I thought you weren't ready, as you were busy on the phone. I about died when I saw the look on her face. It never occurred to her that she was being rude to EVERYONE else who could hear the entire conversation (she was also a LOUD talker).
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I think this topic is hilarious! I work part time in a gym, and there are no policies in effect to ban cell phone usage on the gym floor only in the washrooms. I have been known on occasion when I get a complaint about a loud phone talker. to jump on beside this person and loudly discuss my last nights date penile disfunction problem, or my itchy rash in my private that just won't go away...of course i'm making it up and i'm not talking to anyone on my phone, but my point gets across real quick, usually I get a disugusted look and they choose another machine! lol..the entire time I purposefully make eye contact and smile and the offending person...while he/she are totally put off by my conversation, sometimes I burst out laughing and can't keep it up, but most times I play the part great!
  • DaveyGravy
    DaveyGravy Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    It does annoy me sometimes but i don't really let it bother me too much. I usually have my ipod on full blast because it helps me to focus and take away all other sounds at the gym. Somebody on their phone can distract me but music in my ears motivates. As long as I can't hear it i don't mind. It's like when two friends workout on machines beside each other and talk and laugh for an hour while walking at 2mph. It's like, oh fine you're here you be social, but you are probably annoying people too!

Not something that bothers me personally at all, but I can see why it does other people.
  • tech_sarah
    Options
    To each his own....
    I work out 5-6 days a week, and I'm sure that if none of the machines were available that I wanted to use, but someone was just using the machine leisurely while talking on their cell, I'd be irritated, it depends on the day...
    At the same time, we all have things going on in our own lives and have limited time to be at the gym. If I was maybe talking to someone important and didnt want to end the call and only had limited time, I would choose a machine that I could do while talking, the elliptical or bike.
    If it bothers you that much that someone is on the phone, then go to a different machine.
    If its too busy, or you don't want to give up your machine, then I guess it doesnt bother you that much. We can't control what other people do while at the gym, we can only control what we do, so make the most of your time, and worry about you :smile: