Not eating enough: one man's compelling story

Options
This links to a article written by a male suffering from anorexia.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theobserver/2012/sep/09/secret-world-male-anorexia

It is well written. The turning point that allowed him to admit he had an eating problem seems to be meeting a person who was willing to a) challenge him on his eating, b) listen to him and make time for him over several weeks, and c) affirm that he was worth loving. I recommend reading the whole thing, as it might help some people here who come across anyone on this site potentially suffering from a disorder of this sort. Anyone here who is eating too little and is underweight might also find it helpful.

I have pasted a few paragraphs from it to give you a taster but it is worth reading the whole thing..

===

... I started to work out more than ever. I found excuses to go to the gym in the middle of the day, as well as in the morning and evening. I told people I was running so much because I was training for a marathon. Every time I went to the bathroom I would lift my shirt to look at my ribs. I'd take the lift alone, so I could look in its mirror to see how concave my stomach was. I'd jump on every set of scales I saw: in friends' bathrooms, in hotels, and in Boots, on the machine that gives you a print-out of your height, weight in kilograms and BMI.

To begin with I was happy so long as that machine's prognosis was "below average weight", but I became addicted to seeing the numbers get lower. Each time they did, I shifted the parameters I set for myself. "I'll be happy when I'm 60kg, 55, 50," and so on. "If I have the discipline to drop another 2kg," I'd tell myself, "I'll have the discipline to make anything work." It was as sensible as saying, "If I can hold my breath underwater until I pass out, I'll have the discipline to never drown."

I knew I was being irresponsible, but, thanks to the giddy effect starving can have on brain chemistry, I didn't think I was sick. Truth is, being skinny again felt awesome. Newly single, I relished the chance to show off my body as much as possible. Being very thin makes your **** look enormous, which I felt quite good about. It also, eventually, makes it stop working. When that happened, I just told myself I was going through a phase where I didn't much want to have sex.

For months, I was dizzy every time I stood up. What was happening was that my heart was starting to pump blood less efficiently, but I told my doctor I thought I might have diabetes. She took a blood test and weighed me and said it must be stress, and that I was "slightly underweight". The fact that it was "slight" and not severe was terrible to me. I let my weight slide toward the 7st mark, then I did everything I could to hammer it down past it.

In my job, I rarely had to wear a suit, so I could layer shirts and sweaters up. For a trip to Sweden for a conference, though, I packed trousers that I hadn't worn for a while. When I put them on, I found that I had shrunk so far that they looked like a paper bag belted to my waist. I had to rush out and buy new ones, which were hard to find so small, but I was thrilled with myself.

On the penultimate night of that trip an older woman I worked with called me for a meeting in her room. "You tell everyone you're training all the time, and I think they believe you," she said. "I don't. Do you want to tell me about it?" She listened for most of the night, first while I lied to her and then, after some kind persistence on her part, when I told the truth.

I'd never spoken about it before and once I started I talked for hours. She told me a whole bunch of things she admired about me, reasons she thought I was worthy of being loved, and over the following weeks did everything she could to convince me she meant them, and wasn't just saying them for kindness' sake. Most of all, though, she told me I was a grown man now, and that the only person I had to be strong for was myself. She encouraged me to talk to friends and family back home, and did all she could to convince me they wouldn't abandon me if they saw I wasn't flawless and strong. She called me out on my crippling fear of being weak and unwell, then she promised me that she would never mention our conversation again. ...

===

Replies

• ElleBee66
    ElleBee66 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Great article, well worth reading.
  • skinny_cigarettes
    Options
    awwwh GMH
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    How fantastic! What a wonderfull woman to do that and help him make such a change! If the world were populated withy more people like her it would be a truly amazing place! And well done to your friend for being strong enough to except her help!!

Great story! Thank you for posting!
  • Antlady69
    Antlady69 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Highly interesting reading. Thank you for sharing!
  • feast4thebeast
    feast4thebeast Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    That was a great article
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! Very good article. I think this will help some people understand who don't have or don't fathom eating disorders.
  • simonlcube
    simonlcube Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    How fantastic! What a wonderfull woman to do that and help him make such a change! If the world were populated withy more people like her it would be a truly amazing place! And well done to your friend for being strong enough to except her help!!

Great story! Thank you for posting!

No problem. To clarify, I do not know him personally. :-)
  • simonlcube
    Options
    Bump, in case this got lost a bit.
  • ConnieM20
    ConnieM20 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    wow, amazing story
  • BecomingPremsar
    BecomingPremsar Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    That's a really touching story, and what a wonderful message to share. When I was a kid I read a novel in the scholastic collection called "Even if it kills me" by Dorothy Joan Harris. It always stuck with me.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting.
    I used to do all the exact same things once, still do to a degree with the mirror checking.
    I can suck you in incredibly fast once the brain chemistry gets affected.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    This was touching. Thank you for the read.
  • simonlcube
    Options
    No problem. :-)
  • Ang_Quark
    Options
    For anyone in recovery who is worried about reading for fear of being triggered, don't be. It is hard to get through. You might cry - I did :') - but this is really beautiful. God. It must have taken him a huge amount of courage to write something so self-aware and personal.

For readers who have no experience with an ED, or knowing/loving someone with an ED, please take a page from his book and recognize the power your words have. And YES, thank you soo much for posting. I needed this.