No one to drag me to the gym

Options
Moved far away and living solo! No gym to be found and no one within reach to keep me accountable to get off the couch and exercise but me, myself and I.

I started leaving (relatively friendly) notes around the room to remind myself!

Anyone else in this situation or have other suggestions to share?

Replies

• Ravenesque_
    Ravenesque_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    At least there is no one to see you make an *kitten* of yourself when you try and exercise at home!

try some DVDs and let your hair down? :)
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I work out at home, and when I'm not feeling motivated, I read all my MFP friends' updates: "So-and-so burned x calories". That always brings out the competitor in me...I want my status update to say I've worked out, too!
  • michellecrance
    michellecrance Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Moved far away and living solo! No gym to be found and no one within reach to keep me accountable to get off the couch and exercise but me, myself and I.

I started leaving (relatively friendly) notes around the room to remind myself!

Anyone else in this situation or have other suggestions to share?

I used to go to the gym with a friend but our schedules got all changed around and we can't go anymore. I have been going solo for a while now. All I have to do to get motivated is to look at my before and after pic and I am up like lighting driving to the gym. The results are really my best motivation!
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    No one drags me to the gym either. I go alone. I've found it useful to just make it part of my routine - to go to the gym on my way home from work. And I go to the sauna and steam room at the gym too, so that is something to look forward to after a hard day at work - a workout and then sauna and steam room. And then maybe a cup of coffee at the gym too - I see it as a fun thing to do, as a reward after a day at work.

I also bought some kettlebells and a bosu ball, so I could do exercises at home - this is good during the holidays, when I don't have the routine so am less likely to drag myself to the gym. You could give yourself a goal each month, and make a ticker for it. I did that this month - I have a goal to do 60 minutes of planks, and to walk 100 miles, and to go to the gym 16 times. Having a ticker is a fun way to keep you accountable - put it in your blog here, if you want. I did that with my tickers. I'll show you one of my tickers so you see...

counter.png

You can get tickers from www.tickerfactory.com. And you can join groups on myfitnesspal which have various challenges to complete.
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    I look at it this way as i have no one to "hold me accountable"
    No one dragged me to those restaurants or force fed me all that junk that made me fat and unhealthy.
    So no one should have to drag me to the gym.

I hold myself accountable
  • LauraArielle
    Options
    Thanks for all your suggestions and ideas.

It's much easier to "hold yourself accountable" when there is space and facilities that cater to your success.
    It isn't impossible without them! But it's an adjustment.