Is EVERYONE a runner???

Options
Okay, so have lost a good amount of weight using a Cross Trainer at the gym and have started feeling like maybe I need to start some "grown up" exercise lol

I have always HATED running but I don't know how accurate that is because quite honestly, I hated all types of exercise PERIOD. It was too hard, it made my body hurt blah blah blah Well of COURSE it did, I mean I was totally sedentary! All exercise made my body hurt!

So now I am wondering if maybe I was right and I am fighting a losing battle? I mean, it can't be right that in order to be fit and healthy you have to be a runner is it? I have an aerobics instructor who is fit as haleeeeeeee and she doesn't run!

I have just always been under the impression that the true, best all around form of exercise is running and that makes me want to achieve it.

I guess my bottom line is, if the goal is to be a physically fit individual - does running have to be part of my regime at least to some degree if I am working out in other ways? ie; the cross trainer, ab work, toning exercises etc...

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    By all means give it a go, you might find that you like it now. If you still hate it though, I can't see the point of forcing yourself to do it. I'd say the best form of exercise (within reason) is the one that you enjoy and can stick with. You can absolutely be fit and healthy without running; I guess your instructor proves that. Don't make exercise into torture. :wink:
  • Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I wasn't allowed to run for AGES because of a knee reconstruction. So i'm quite happy I am allowed to now.

Depends on your needs really. You'll find that if you start slow, and even if it's just alternating walking/running, eventually you'll be able to run quite comfortably. Then you alternate slow running with faster running, and get even better.

And before you know it you'll be clocking up miles and finding it pretty good.

The important thing is not to rush it. Let your body adapt to it and it's a lot easier than people think.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    You do not have to run, no.

The most important part of an exercise program is actually performing the exercises regularly. If you choose forms of exercise you enjoy, you're likely to be consistent. If you choose forms of exercise you hate, well, you're not going to stick with it very long unless you're a unique brand of masochist. :tongue:

So choose something you enjoy, perform it at an intensity that is reasonable for your current level of fitness, and you're fine! I mention intensity because many people assume that they have to beat themselves into the ground to see results. The "results" in that case usually involve giving up the exercise program after a few weeks, or injury, or both. For cardio, a good rule of thumb is that you should be able to speak in short sentences, but your theory of global economics should be impossible to recite. :laugh:
  • carrotstick2012
    Options
    No and I never will be. :-)
  • PlaysLikeAGirl
    PlaysLikeAGirl Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU for bringing this topic up. I forced myself to run for a year and I never got better/faster, and I never lost any weight (I was silly, and didn't couple it with a healthier diet).

Either way, I just despised running. There are so many other enjoyable ways to burn off calories!

Sure, salads could be the healthiest food, but that doesn't mean that's what you have to eat. And running might be the most efficient way to burn calories, but that doesn't mean that's what you've got to do either.

Do what works for you, it's the best way to stick with a healthier lifestyle! :)
  • Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    To answer your original question - you don't have to run to be healthy. It just so happens that running forces a lot of your major muscle groups to do work which burns off calories.

Anything that works your major muscle groups will do the same thing - ellipticals are just as good as running in that respect.
  • DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I am a runner, but a because I love it not because it's the best way to lose or keep of weight. Honestly it's actually not the best way. Running and endurance exercise increase the production hormones in the body that are counter productive to weight loss and weight maintenance, but I do it anyway because it gives me great joy and a great since of accomplishment and it's something that I can stick with. Cause let's face it, it's how well that you can stick with an exercise that is going to provide you with the best results in the end. It can be the most productive best exercise for you ever, but if you can't stick with it, doesn't matter.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    You might be better off walking at a fast pace or steep incline. It's easier on your knees and gives you a great cardio workout.
  • torrmairi
    torrmairi Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You don't have to! I love running, it makes me feel alive, but it's not for everyone. You could just pick up another cardio exercise like dancing (or aerobics, if you're not already doing it), and if you like the gym stay with it. At its simplest, it's more that running is one of the best, most straight-forward calorie-burners and really engages most of your muscles. Other pros: better posture, better breathing, more interesting surroundings and you can run for free.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Just about everyone has the evolutionary potential to become a runner (humans are uniquely adapted in our running stamina, our ability to run down prey was crucial to the survival of our species). Whether or not you want to become a runner is entirely up to you, there are are lots of other activities out there that offer similar benefits - go with what you enjoy.
  • kclynn7
    Options
    I hate to run, hate it. The only time you will catch me running is if my house is on fire, and even then if it isn't too threatening I may walk. It just makes me feel like crap. When I was doing P90X I was very fit and I was not running. You could always try it and see if you like it. If not, maybe add biking.
  • michellecrance
    michellecrance Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    TY for your replies everyone...

I was talking to a friend the other day who said "Not everyone loves running, not everyone is a runner!"

I guess I am just battling with that because more than anything I am afraid of approaching the exercise thing all wrong.

It was easier when I was 50 lbs overweight and was doing NO exercise. Then I knew as long as I was doing SOMETHING that wasn't eating on my couch, then I was headed in the right direction. Now I am not so sure what to do. I am at a point in my fitness goals that I think it *IS* possible for me to stick with the exercises and equipment that I have being accustomed to and cheating myself out of achieving higher goals.

I dunno, I am 100% sure I am over obsessing which I why I am SO grateful to have y'all - my family will stone me in the town square if they have to listen to another word of it.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    My knees refuse to let me run. I have tried on multiple occasions on multiple surfaces with nice running shoes (my track friend's helped me pick them) and I still manage to hurt myself by day two to three at the lowest intensity jog I can muster. This has been going on for years. While I enjooy running, it is just not a sustainable habit for me.

As such, I have elected to do fast walking (4.2 mph and up) or training on the elliptical because those activities I can enjoy without pounding on my knees. I have been able to do these things multiple days in a row for weeks without any trouble. It means I have to workout longer, but anything is better than nothing.

No, not everybody runs.
  • sausagepaula
    Options
    I have to be honest I run ( well plod) and I always HATE the first ten minutes but then i find it does get more enjoyable after that. Sometimes i do decide to rebel against myself and refuse to run but after a week or so I find i miss it and cant wait to get get back to it.
    I have recently discovered swimming again though and this gives a good calorie burn.
    P X
  • LiftHuff
    Options
    No one HAS to run. I used to make myself do it, and then decided instead to become the thing other people would run from.
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    I say give it a try and see if you actually like it! You never know! I don't think you have to be a runner to be fit...some people just don't like it. I have not liked exercise...EVER. I used to make excuses to not participate in gym in school...starting with middle school. I hated it. My exercise started out with walking and now I aspire to run. I'm training using the C25K program. I have participated in a couple of 5Ks doing a walk/jog interval program and seriously the rush of crossing the finish line knowing that I tried my best...WOW! I still have a way to go before I'll be a runner...but...I have to say that that's the path I see me going! Good luck!!!
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I have just always been under the impression that the true, best all around form of exercise is running and that makes me want to achieve it.

I've never heard this - I've always heard that swimming is the best all-round exercise, because it works strength, stamina and flexibility.

I'm not a runner.
  • deb54
    deb54 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    If you are serious about "running", then by all means give it a go ! I have just started the C25K ( couch to 5K ) and I LOVE it ... It is a free app for my smart phone ... The program is 8 weeks from your couch to running a 5 K ... It starts you out slowly ... Walking and jogging (says to run but you are just getting started ! ) it is only 3 days a week ( every other day ) , the program tells you to warm up , run, walk , when you are half way , when you have a minute left and when to cool down ... AND you can listen to your fave music too !!! It is exhilarating !!! I am on week 4 , day 1 tomorrow and can't wait ... I will probably repeat this week a couple times as , you progress to longer running at this point ... No worries , I am not doing this program to become a marathon runner , I am doing it to build up stamina and tone my abs and legs ( and it IS doing just that ! ) Give it a try ! You will fast become addicted to running ! ❤
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    No... thanks! Whenever I see "fun" and "run" advertised or mentioned, I snort a laugh. "5k torture run" makes more sense to me. I've only run recently as I wanted to test "minimalist running" (Spartan running :D ). As long as you're doing some kind of aerobic activity, you've ticked that box.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

I guess my bottom line is, if the goal is to be a physically fit individual - does running have to be part of my regime

No.