Is EVERYONE a runner???

Options

Replies

• Lidenbrock
    Options
    I don't run - not for me. Prefer power walking and cycling. Better for the hips and knees.
  • michaelbeauchamp
    Options
    If you are serious about "running", then by all means give it a go ! I have just started the C25K ( couch to 5K ) and I LOVE it ... It is a free app for my smart phone ... The program is 8 weeks from your couch to running a 5 K ... It starts you out slowly ... Walking and jogging (says to run but you are just getting started ! ) it is only 3 days a week ( every other day ) , the program tells you to warm up , run, walk , when you are half way , when you have a minute left and when to cool down ... AND you can listen to your fave music too !!! It is exhilarating !!! I am on week 4 , day 1 tomorrow and can't wait ... I will probably repeat this week a couple times as , you progress to longer running at this point ... No worries , I am not doing this program to become a marathon runner , I am doing it to build up stamina and tone my abs and legs ( and it IS doing just that ! ) Give it a try ! You will fast become addicted to running ! ❤

I started C25K and just completed week 5 run 2. Two runs of 8 minutes each with a 5 minute breather in between. It is an awesome program and has worked extremely well for me. I personally use the "Get Running" app which is in the same vein as yours. Running can be a lot of fun as long as you are realistic about it.
  • jmllmj
    Options
    Try it if you'd like. I've found I'm more likely to stick to an exercise regime if I actually like the exercise...which rarely includes running.
  • Givenitmybest
    Givenitmybest Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I bike. Alot. I do as much as I can uphill. Its not easy either starting out, but I really enjoy it. I feel like I get to see a lot more on a bike.
  • Givenitmybest
    Givenitmybest Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I bike. Alot. I do as much as I can uphill. Its not easy either starting out, but I really enjoy it. I feel like I get to see a lot more on a bike.
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    No and I never will be. :-)

Same here. I've always had "tricky" knees and ankles and the impact of running/jogging can leave me in pain for days. I have an elliptical machine at home which suits me just fine.

Even if I *could* do it, however, I wouldn't -- I prefer the climate-controlled comfort of my exercise room to having to navigate traffic, neighbor's dogs, potholes, obnoxious people yelling out of car windows at me, and being exposed to weather that will age me long before my time. No thanks! :happy:
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    One thing that my "research" (reading experiences, my own personal experiences, talking to others and reading info on websites ie not scientific research!) on any steady state exercise (eg jogging, cycling) points to is that if you are to really lose weight (ie get down to under 20% bodyfat) then you have to run massive amounts eg 50-80km a week. If you do, say, just 10km a week (but I salute you if you only run 1km a week anyway because you're doing something!), while it will help initially, you'll hit a plateau. The body is great like that. Whilst we think of lean long distance runners like Mo Farah and Zola Bud, look to the rear of the London Marathon crowd and you'll see many more "heavier" runners.</I'mNoExpertAndThisMayBeBollocks>

What would be interesting to see is if there are those who only run, say, 10km a week and do no other exercise who are lean (BF%<20).
  • Maryt1961
    Maryt1961 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I don't mind mytreadclimber or treadmill. I don't mind walking at the gym either where its really controlled temp wise...don't enjoy outside where it's too hot/cold/buggy/etc. the best exercise is one that works for you
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    tried C25K, did a 5K, still didn't enjoy it.
    Now I only lift. I love it.
    NO cardio at all. I hate doing it.
    Find something you ENJOY doing and stick to it.
    Whether that be running, biking, swimming, tennis, parkour, or lifting heavy things...whatever....just find something you enjoy and do it a LOT.
  • _Tuyana_
    _Tuyana_ Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I hate running, instead I jump :)
    I do high impact aerobics classes at my gym, it gets the heart pumping and leaves me breathless at the end of an hour. A couple of years ago I got into working out at the gym for 2 hours every day over summer, got really fit (I could do a couple of high impact 1-hr classes back to back, and then go for a half-day walk in the forest or go kayaking), but it would still leave me a bit breathless when I had to jog/run for a bit...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I spent 26 YEARS believing I wasn't meant to be a runner because my best friend was asked to try out for track our first year in Junior High and I wasn't. So from age 12 to 38, I never really tried to run. Thought I couldn't do it. Never realized that running was something you had to learn how to do, something you had to build up to.

About nine months after I started Couch to 5k, I won my first medal. :smile:

IMG_2231.jpg
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have no desire to ever be a runner. I hate it. I won't even run for a bus. Even at school when I was fit due to the swimming training/rugby etc I would do practically anything to get out of running.

I walk and cycle. I lift weights. It works for me.

If you like running why not? If you don't find something you do like instead. Exercise should be something you enjoy not endure otherwise you won't keep it up. You can choose whatever you like. What you do isn't the most important thing, the most important thing is that you are doing something.
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I'm a former runner. I didn't do it because I enjoyed it, though, rather for the health benefits. Then I realized that, for me, the best exercise was run/walk intervals (HIIT) which had a better affect on my body. Burned more calories, and slimmed me down quicker.

Choose what is best for YOU.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Even with a really good sports bra layered on top of my regular (strap the girls down) bra. It still feels like i am jogging with 2 gallon milk bottles strapped around my neck.
  • scottbad
    Options
    Just about everyone has the evolutionary potential to become a runner (humans are uniquely adapted in our running stamina, our ability to run down prey was crucial to the survival of our species). Whether or not you want to become a runner is entirely up to you, there are are lots of other activities out there that offer similar benefits - go with what you enjoy.

Back when I was a caveman, we only needed one runner in our group. The rest of us just waited for the animal to come running past us. Although there was this one guy that invented something he called a wheel that he claimed would allow all of us to move as fast as our runner. Well the runners union got together......and we never saw him again. Wonder how that wheel thing would have worked?
  • marcoscu
    marcoscu Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    No, you don't have to run, but some people actually enjoy it. I don't but still do it sometimes. Looking at your signature I see you have already lost 41lbs - so whatever it is you are doing now is working.
  • Jester522
    Options

I guess my bottom line is, if the goal is to be a physically fit individual - does running have to be part of my regime

No.

Credentials? Look at avi. LOL, great work my man. No, cardio (as a whole) is not needed to obtain a quality physique adjusting your resistance training to be less anaerobic is far more superior to cardio and a hell of a lot less boring.

If you still choose to run - which we've now deemed unnecessary, consider HIIT or Tabata as a variation to keep things interesting and save some time. Also, throw back a little coconut oil prior to the run - gives a good energy feeling and promotes fatty aid metabolism.
  • Ledgehanger
    Ledgehanger Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have always HATED running but I don't know how accurate that is because quite honestly, I hated all types of exercise PERI guess my bottom line is, if the goal is to be a physically fit individual - does running have to be part of my regime at least to some degree if I am working out in other ways? ie; the cross trainer, ab work, toning exercises etc...

The bottom line is... no.

I can't run (at least not routinely) because of a bad ankle. Does that mean that I'm doomed to not be a physically fit individual? Of course not.

Find what you like to do that will elevate your heart rate and get your muscles working. In terms of whether it has to be a "grown up" exercise, if you can do that on the playground you're fine. ;o)
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Cycling for me, and has been for over a year now. It really keeps my weight down, especially with hills and putting some effort into it. I try to cycle at least 4 times a week for an hour or longer, and also do the elliptical at the gym, and plenty of walking.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I find running the most boring and uncreative exercise on earth.Seriously, the minutes just crawl for me. There are lots of other exercises that I love and will happily do for hours and the time flies right by. I kind of get the feeling from your post that you are thinking about doing this because either 1) you *want * to like running or 2) you want to prove your fitness to yourself or whoever said that. I say if you really want to do it and are motivated...well then of course you can! But if not don't worry about it. :)