What constitutes a victory?

Options
So in a spur of the moment decision I signed up for a 5k last week. I have lost a lot of weight over the past couple of years and figured it was time to push my boundaries.

I went into this 5k with some expectations of what I could accomplish.

I wanted to jog the first mile, it lasted instead for about 200 yards. Once I realized that the guy in front of me was walking, and I wasn't catching up with him, I started walking. It started me off slightly ticked off.

Then I realized that my hip was killing me. Every step hurt and it made me even slower. The problem wasn't the cardio, it was the joint pain. I was tempted several times to stop. I had fallen so far behind the crowd that it seemed easier to just ask one of the officials to call a ride for me. I didn't do it though.

As I was into the final mile of the course, they sent the ambulance back along the route to find me and make sure I was ok. When I saw them pull up, I was pissed off. I wanted to tell them to shove it and I could finish without them. I even turned down the water they offered even though I was leaving a trail of wet pavement behind me.

It was nice of them to check on me. At the time though all I could think about was that everyone in town would know on Monday about how poorly I had performed. The ones that had snickered at the starting line (who had no plans of doing it themselves) would be proven right. I shouldn't have been there.

I knew that I at least had to finish. I had to accomplish what they were scared to even attempt.

I did finish, and I was in a pretty foul mood. As the people at the finish line clapped, in my head it was like telling the "special" kid how good his drawing was. I was furious and in pain. I was beating myself up.

I posted my results on here. The response was instantaneous and 100% positive. It made me realize what I would say had any of you done what I did today. I would be baffled if that person had no idea of what they had accomplished.

So I started to look at the good parts.

Not only did I finish, but it pissed me off enough that I want to sign up for the next one. After the race was over today I spent 3-4 hours at a cub scout picnic/fair. Then to top the evening off, we had several friends over for dinner and had a fantastic time. I am exhausted, but satisfied.

I spent almost 20 years hiding from my own life. I am not where I want to be yet, but I have begun to find myself again. We all have a life out there that we are either claiming, or we are hiding from. With the support we have on here, every single one of us can have that life. In the long run, we control it.

So, in taking that step back, it is impossible to think of today as anything less than a victory. I am sore, I hurt, I laughed, I griped, I played with kids, and I ate 2 monster burgers that rocked my world.

And so I defer to your judgement. It sounds like one hell of a victory to me.

Replies

• gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Great story Guts. Shame. Courage. Humor. And no lasting injury. Huzza!
  • Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    This my new friend, is a VICTORY! You can be proud of yourself. I can't wait to hear about run number 2!
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    That's the spirit. Basically you learned to tough it out.

Though you should of take the water. Dehydration is pretty serious and also water helps cool the body. When I do a 5K I go through 2 Liters of water before I finish.
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Total Victory in my book. You set out to finish, you finished. If some idiot was snickering at the starting line you beat his *kitten*. Wait till you train for 6 month and see the skinny runners killing themselves not to get beaten by you. Running can be social, and in large part I have found runners to be very supportive, they know what you are going through.

You rocked it.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    You had the guts to enter a race and complete it. Think about how awesome that is.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    You were out there and you finished and the rest of them people did nothing. Major Victory
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Hands down a victory.
    You did it.
  • hsnbro
    Options
    Awesome my friend, just ****ing awesome!
  • MrDangerSass
    Options
    So in a spur of the moment decision I signed up for a 5k last week. I have lost a lot of weight over the past couple of years and figured it was time to push my boundaries.

I went into this 5k with some expectations of what I could accomplish.

I wanted to jog the first mile, it lasted instead for about 200 yards. Once I realized that the guy in front of me was walking, and I wasn't catching up with him, I started walking. It started me off slightly ticked off.

Then I realized that my hip was killing me. Every step hurt and it made me even slower. The problem wasn't the cardio, it was the joint pain. I was tempted several times to stop. I had fallen so far behind the crowd that it seemed easier to just ask one of the officials to call a ride for me. I didn't do it though.

As I was into the final mile of the course, they sent the ambulance back along the route to find me and make sure I was ok. When I saw them pull up, I was pissed off. I wanted to tell them to shove it and I could finish without them. I even turned down the water they offered even though I was leaving a trail of wet pavement behind me.

It was nice of them to check on me. At the time though all I could think about was that everyone in town would know on Monday about how poorly I had performed. The ones that had snickered at the starting line (who had no plans of doing it themselves) would be proven right. I shouldn't have been there.

I knew that I at least had to finish. I had to accomplish what they were scared to even attempt.

I did finish, and I was in a pretty foul mood. As the people at the finish line clapped, in my head it was like telling the "special" kid how good his drawing was. I was furious and in pain. I was beating myself up.

I posted my results on here. The response was instantaneous and 100% positive. It made me realize what I would say had any of you done what I did today. I would be baffled if that person had no idea of what they had accomplished.

So I started to look at the good parts.

Not only did I finish, but it pissed me off enough that I want to sign up for the next one. After the race was over today I spent 3-4 hours at a cub scout picnic/fair. Then to top the evening off, we had several friends over for dinner and had a fantastic time. I am exhausted, but satisfied.

I spent almost 20 years hiding from my own life. I am not where I want to be yet, but I have begun to find myself again. We all have a life out there that we are either claiming, or we are hiding from. With the support we have on here, every single one of us can have that life. In the long run, we control it.

So, in taking that step back, it is impossible to think of today as anything less than a victory. I am sore, I hurt, I laughed, I griped, I played with kids, and I ate 2 monster burgers that rocked my world.

And so I defer to your judgement. It sounds like one hell of a victory to me.

Hoo rah... This is the spirit that constitutes victory.
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    i say GO FOR IT!! just dont cause any perm. damage my friend. sounds like you have some hip stuff to work on...there are some great stretches you can do on your down time in bed..seriously lol I've been doing them for a few weeks and can tell a huge difference in the way I walk, I would turn my feet inwards to support my weight ..I'm now more straight forward when I walk even the mean ole physical therapist lady noticed :)

good job hylos!!
  • sandiki
    sandiki Posts: 454
    Options
    I'm so proud of you.. honest I am. What awesome determination you have.. I'd walk run crawl with you asty time!
  • DAM_Fine
    DAM_Fine Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I love you. I love your spirit, your courage, your attitude towards life. You are a man among children.
  • curtnrod
    curtnrod Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Hail to the Victor! Proud of you Hoss
  • carolannew
    Options
    Awesome job, my friend. And well written....we have all been there in one form or another.

*hugs*
    Carol
  • camiah
    camiah Posts: 146
    Options
    Excellent--you stuck it out, said screw the doubters, and signed up for your next one. Finsihing that race is a major victory.