Afternoon snack advice...please!

Options
I am trying to target my danger times and make some positive changes. I work from 8.30am to 2.30pm and I find that when I get home from work I make some bad food choices, grabbing whatever is on hand to get a quick fix! I am looking for some suggestions on some filling snacks to get me through to dinner time, usually around 6.30pm. I don't want anything that will take time to prepare as I just don't have time, as after school pickup there is the usual running around with kids to work, sport etc... Your suggestions/ideas would be appreciated :smile:

Replies

• riotshows
    Options
    Cut up large celery ahead of time into 4 inch pieces and spread with philly light flavored cream cheeses, 20 calories per TBLspoon. Purchase vegetable trays from Costco, but buy light dilly dips 20 calories per tablespoon.

Cup of soup

baked chips

Pickles, Olives, savory snacks.
  • LCgymnast
    Options
    I hear you there. I have an odd work schedule as well and needed to change my entire eating schedule around so I wasn't eating at strange times at night. I love my peanut butter crackers, yogurt, Protein bars or shakes (fills me up longer). These don't take any kind of preparation. Just grab and eat. Also, I drink a lot more water to fill my stomach up so, I'm not stuffing my face with too much food choices. Hope this helps out. Keep it Up!!!
  • SpunkBean
    SpunkBean Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I eat both healthy and not-so-healthy low-cal snacks ;)

-light yogurt
    -string cheese and some almonds
    -stila granola snacks
    -dehydrated fruit pieces
    -celery with peanut butter
    -100 cal microwave popcorn bag :)
    -roasted chick peas (yum!)
    -hummus and pita chips
  • missemmapeel
    missemmapeel Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I like to whizz up a protein shake- 1/2 frozen banana, 1/2 cup of yoghurt or orange juice, protein powder and a bit of water- tides me over until dinner with under 200 calories.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I agree with the suggestion to prepare the snacks in advance. Put them at the front of your cabinet, refrigerator, counter, or wherever you're most likely to look and grab first -- may them as convenient for yourself as possible.

There are over 100 ideas of snacks for under 100 calories that JeffDoc started and I've collected and added to here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/snacks-of-100-calories-or-less-267198
    Please give it a thumbs up, if you like it.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Dark Chocolate is good. 2 squares of a 60% should last you a while. Its suppose to naturally suppress your appetite by lowering your ghrelin levels.
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    My afternoon snack is usually nuts, apples and a protein bar.
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Instant miso soup is may fav. You only have to boil the kettle and it usually ranges between 18 - 32 cals depending on the brand and one is enough to keep me going for a few hours.

Or yoplait for me no fat yogurts 70 cals per tub.

Or sometimes I have maybe 25 - 50 grams of beef jerky for a protein boost :)
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I like your profile pic btw
  • liberty0624
    liberty0624 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great suggestions, have just been for a walk to the supermarket to get a few things, so will give it a go! I have just tried celery with peanut butter for the first time in my laugh and yum, yum! Although the peanut butter has to go on the highest shelf as my 9 year old is allergic :(
  • liberty0624
    liberty0624 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I agree with the suggestion to prepare the snacks in advance. Put them at the front of your cabinet, refrigerator, counter, or wherever you're most likely to look and grab first -- may them as convenient for yourself as possible.

There are over 100 ideas of snacks for under 100 calories that JeffDoc started and I've collected and added to here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/snacks-of-100-calories-or-less-267198
    Please give it a thumbs up, if you like it.
    Thanks for the list too, there are some yummy suggestions on there!
  • p0kers0ph
    p0kers0ph Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I usually have a protein shake/protein bar, keeps me full and gives me a bit of energy when that afternoon slump comes.
  • msteresao
    msteresao Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    That is when I am most hungry, I work from 7-3 what I have been doing and its been working for me is, I been taking Fiber one bars with me to work and a bottle water to drink, I drink and eat it on my way home. I find I do not go right to the frig to eat any more it will hold me to dinner.Hope this helps
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I always have a yogurt with a serving of bran buds with psyllium fibre mixed in as my afternoon snack. It gives me a protein and fibre hit for a low calorie count. Plus drink a glass of water with it and it will expand the bran to keep you full.