Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Suppliments & Powders etc

I've noticed from reading topics on here or looking at diaries that some of you use a lot of protein powders and suppliments etc. I take a multivitamin every day but what's with all these post workout powders and such. I read somewhere as well that having something like m&m's after a workout is good because it's carbs. What?! I don't get that. Isn't that just going to undo all the exercise you've done?

Replies

• not sure about m and ms I like a more natural approach and I drink Shakeology its a protein but also a superfood
  • But why do you drink it? Do you need the extra protein? All I've really been told is to eat less and exercise more (bare bones of it all) and so adding something like that just seems like a waste of calories to me.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Depends on the person, overall workload, what type of training you do, what the rest of your diet is like etc.

If you get results without any kind of supplement then that's great but they can be a very very useful tool for certain people.

And I wouldn't start eating m&ms after your workout.
  • I drink it because I workout 6 days a week (intense) and I am feeding my body all the superfoods it needs it like going to the salad bar 5 to 6 times in one drink. its not a waste of calories at all
  • AmandaTWaH
    AmandaTWaH Posts: 181 Member
    Powders/shakes are just a way of getting nutrients. I love a protein shake for breakfast because getting plenty of protein with breakfast is important for feeling full. My protein shake is less calories than making eggs or something for protein and it is tasty! I get my chocolate fix.
  • victoriadw84
    victoriadw84 Posts: 77 Member
    Started using shakes and I absolutely love it!!! I have one after a workout and feel having them is one of the best decisions I have made for my diet. I also have a hard time digesting solid foods so its great for me to have as its easy to digest and I feel great. I have more energy now and feel I can put more effort in my workouts. I currently use the shakes from Body By Vi.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    I've noticed from reading topics on here or looking at diaries that some of you use a lot of protein powders and suppliments etc. I take a multivitamin every day but what's with all these post workout powders and such. I read somewhere as well that having something like m&m's after a workout is good because it's carbs. What?! I don't get that. Isn't that just going to undo all the exercise you've done?

Protein powders, specifically whey protein is absorbed faster than whole foods. For the first 15 minutes post workout your body is hungry for nutrients . . . so the reason you want things like whey protein supplements and sugary high gi carbohydrates is they take less time for your body to digest them and it refills glygogen stores and repairs muscles faster. However this post workout meal should still be included in your daily calorie allowance.

How much protein and carbs you need is debatable and is dependent on your goals and your training.

I usually try to get 1 gram carbs( high GI) per kilogram of body weight (or half gram per pound) and 25 grams of protein post work out.

Also, other than post workout it's better to get your protein sources from whole foods. Protein drinks and Meal Replacement Shakes are a convenient way to boost your protein intake but shouldn't be used to substitue whole foods.